JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Oct 19, 2009 at 9:15 PM Post #5,101 of 10,747
For those of you who have flown recently and used the JH13 Pros, I'd be interested in your experiences with these IEMs and how well they isolate relative to other IEMs you've used.

Yesterday, I flew from LAX to HNL sitting ahed of the engines and in the middle of the aircraft. I found the JH13s offered some isolation but not a whole lot, at least not as much as I expected. I could definitely hear the engines and some muted conversation by the couple immediately to my right across the isle. I pulled out my Klipsch X10s and with the gels got a bit more isolation, but not a huge amount. (Let's not discuss sound quality here!!!)

I am wondering how others have fared and if I may have a bit of a fit/seal issue. My JH13s fit relatively easily and are very comfortable (no pain, like some others have experienced).

One quick short story, I was listening to Tchaikovsky's fifth the other day in the relative quiet of my office at home and I kept on picking up the odd sound in the recording (RWA 4th G. iMod lossless and a P-51 amp) that I had never heard before. I then realised I was hearing page turning, the conductor humming, some chair scraping albeit extremely quiet, and it dawned on me that this was a live recording. I tried my UM3Xs and Klipsch X10s and
I could not pick up that ever-so-quiet set of sounds! The JH13s are mighty revealing!

Oct 19, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #5,103 of 10,747
kiwirugby, I've flown on two trips since getting my JH13. They don't isolate as well as my old Etys, but are about the same as my UE11s. I could hear conversation in the row behind me and some engine noise during quiet music passages, but could barely hear, and not understandably, the pilot's announcement during the flights. I have a perfect fit for comfort and a good seal.

Oct 20, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #5,104 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by KLS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been following this thread for nearly 2 months and I know me and you are in the same boat...waiting for the new printing machine!

Yes I pay for SQ but cheaply-made furnishing... This is where I learn patience...

And I think there are actually loads of people waiting for the new machine. The aesthetic does seem to be improving though (from what I see in JHAudio Facebook). The turn around time was somewhat 2 weeks 2 months ago, and now down to several days, this is a good news
bigsmile_face.gif

You're right, it's a good sign. I plan to order my JH13 in trans-black with a carbon fiber faceplate and no artwork; I'm still waiting, not for the new machine but, as you point out, because there are still reports of "dirty" customs (too many scratches and bubbles). That, and the new academic year has kept me too busy to go through the whole process (impressions, mailing, potential re-impressions and re-mailing) anyway.

Oct 20, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #5,105 of 10,747
I know not many people would be interested, but here is a little update on my order.

A little summary of my order:

Aug 13th: Sent Impression
Aug 23th: Got response from Brittany saying they don't have my impression
Sep 2nd: Second Impression received by JHA and order confirmed
Sep 14th: Got my monitors but fit wasn't good so sent them back
Oct 1st: Got my monitors back again but fit wasn't still good
Oct 6th: I made another impression again and sent them along with my monitor
Oct 19th: Got them back and they have a PERFECT fit

I should confess that I wasn't really sure about JH Audio's customer service at first. They were very slow at responding and sometimes never got response at all. But after sending my monitor (right side only) back for the second time (with new impression), they have made a completely new shell for me. Although ear stem is LONGER than before, I have much better fit with no pain. It seems like new monitor is a bit less clear (less transparent) and seems to have some blemishes (looks like finger prints) but I do not care about that at the moment. I am just so glad that they fit perfectly and of course sound awesome. It was long 2 months but they are definitely worth a wait!

And it looks like they have put a little sticker on top of otter case.

Anyone who is going with re-fit process, please be patient (I know I wasn't) and you will get what you expected!

Oct 20, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #5,106 of 10,747
As promised, Mrs. Sherwood is home, and pictures havebeen taken. The Green is "Chirt", and they're her JH5s. The Blue is "Muddy Water Blue", and they're my 13s. Both colors are solid, and both fit flawlessly, and look fantastic.
4027476427_371fac447d_o.jpg

4028230372_dafe46c902_o.jpg

4028230590_0b9483cec0_o.jpg

The third picture has some strange reflections on the JH5, which make it look thoroughly abnormal. Nevermind that.

Oct 20, 2009 at 2:29 AM Post #5,107 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by hifidk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know not many people would be interested, but here is a little update on my order.

A little summary of my order:

Aug 13th: Sent Impression
Aug 23th: Got response from Brittany saying they don't have my impression
Sep 2nd: Second Impression received by JHA and order confirmed
Sep 14th: Got my monitors but fit wasn't good so sent them back
Oct 1st: Got my monitors back again but fit wasn't still good
Oct 6th: I made another impression again and sent them along with my monitor
Oct 19th: Got them back and they have a PERFECT fit....

Though your journey started back in August, it's probably relevant to note that for the October timeframe that pretty much the whole JH Audio crew was in Denver for RMAF from like September 30 to October 5.

Glad you got your perfect fit, hifidk. I'm listening to mine out of a Ray Samuels Audio Apache right now (single-ended, but balanced will be soon), and it's sick.

Speaking of RMAF and the Apache, JH Audio was exhibiting with a fully balanced setup at RMAF, using an Electrocompaniet CD player with balanced output into an Apache, with some cobbled-together balanced cables for the JH13 Pro coming out of that, and those who heard this setup were going nuts over it.

I can't wait to get my balanced JH13 Pro cable!

Oct 20, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #5,108 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Have you worked something out with Jerry, Jude, or are you having one made up special? Bill and I are working on a permanent, portable solution that might interest you...

I'll see what can be done. 2x3 XLR?

Oct 20, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #5,109 of 10,747
Quote:

Though your journey started back in August, it's probably relevant to note that for the October timeframe that pretty much the whole JH Audio crew was in Denver for RMAF from like September 30 to October 5.

Glad you got your perfect fit, hifidk. I'm listening to mine out of a Ray Samuels Audio Apache right now (single-ended, but balanced will be soon), and it's sick.

Speaking of RMAF and the Apache, JH Audio was exhibiting with a fully balanced setup at RMAF, using an Electrocompaniet CD player with balanced output into an Apache, with some cobbled-together balanced cables for the JH13 Pro coming out of that, and those who heard this setup were going nuts over it.

I have read about JHA's audio set-up that was at RMAF. I heard it was very nice. I should be satisfied with my D10 and Raptor for now tho. Don't want to spend so much money on balanced amps. Well because that is WHY I got JH13, so I don't have to really mess with high-end amps
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 20, 2009 at 2:38 AM Post #5,110 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you worked something out with Jerry, Jude, or are you having one made up special? Bill and I are working on a permanent, portable solution that might interest you...

I'll see what can be done. 2x3 XLR?

If you guys can beat Jerry to the punch, well....

Did I tell you guys enough in Colorado that I love you guys?
wink.gif

Let me know what you guys are working on, as, yes, I would almost certainly be interested. And, yup, 2x3 XLR.

(By the way, I should finally be posting my photos tonight--late tonight.)

Oct 20, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #5,111 of 10,747
Quote:

Did I tell you guys enough in Colorado that I love you guys?
wink.gif

You'll have plenty of time when you're stuck to a big, balanced amp loving life.

Quote:

(By the way, I should finally be posting my photos tonight--late tonight.)

Two weeks is a long time to hold one's breath, but it was totally worth it.
ksc75smile.gif

Oct 20, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #5,112 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
kiwirugby, I've flown on two trips since getting my JH13. They don't isolate as well as my old Etys, but are about the same as my UE11s. I could hear conversation in the row behind me and some engine noise during quiet music passages, but could barely hear, and not understandably, the pilot's announcement during the flights. I have a perfect fit for comfort and a good seal.

Thanks, Boomana, for taking the time to respond. I think basically I have the same experience as you. The pilot rarely comes on with trans-Pacific flights especially when there's no turbulence. No need to say, "look at that beautiful blue water", every hour or so!! If it was something else, I don't want to know!!!

Given what you wrote, I think the fit/seal of my JH13s are right. That's what I was really trying to judge. I listen to a lot of classical music, so there are many occasions of quite passages. What struck me more than anything was how good the bass sounded even in quiet passages; something that my X10s and UM3Xs couldn't manage under flying conditions.....not the fairest comparisons of IEMs, I know.

Oct 20, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #5,113 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love being able to hear the pages turn. That was one of the first "aha" moments I had in this hobby.

If you're being facetious and pulling my leg, good! If you're really telling us how it really was, good! If you're doing both, even better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oct 20, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #5,114 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinocelt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're right, it's a good sign. I plan to order my JH13 in trans-black with a carbon fiber faceplate and no artwork; I'm still waiting, not for the new machine but, as you point out, because there are still reports of "dirty" customs (too many scratches and bubbles). That, and the new academic year has kept me too busy to go through the whole process (impressions, mailing, potential re-impressions and re-mailing) anyway.

And in the mean time waiting for Maodi's Unique Melody impressions!

Oct 20, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #5,115 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As promised, Mrs. Sherwood is home, and pictures havebeen taken. The Green is "Chirt", and they're her JH5s. The Blue is "Muddy Water Blue", and they're my 13s. Both colors are solid, and both fit flawlessly, and look fantastic.
4027476427_371fac447d_o.jpg

4028230372_dafe46c902_o.jpg

4028230590_0b9483cec0_o.jpg

The third picture has some strange reflections on the JH5, which make it look thoroughly abnormal. Nevermind that.

The colours look very nice on both. From your pictures the shells seem to be FREE of bubbles but some dirt inside, and the furnishing is not that smooth. Am I correct?

And of course waiting for your JH13 vs K1000/O2 thread
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back