JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Oct 20, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #5,116 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you worked something out with Jerry, Jude, or are you having one made up special? Bill and I are working on a permanent, portable solution that might interest you...

I'll see what can be done. 2x3 XLR?

Keep me in the loop as well.
wink.gif

Oct 20, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #5,117 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by KLS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The colours look very nice on both. From your pictures the shells seem to be FREE of bubbles but some dirt inside, and the furnishing is not that smooth. Am I correct?

And of course waiting for your JH13 vs K1000/O2 thread
bigsmile_face.gif

The finish is actually very smooth, but I didn't have them fully polished. There's one visible bubble on the sound bore portion of the left JH5, and none in the 13. I haven't noticed much in the way of dirt internally, so I think that might be reflections from slight wax on the outside. The JH5 looks dirty in the pictures, and somewhat in real life, but it's clear that it's variations in the solid acrylic in person. I'll take a loupe to them later to confirm.

I'm excited for the review as well -- expect it in about a week or two. I intend to make this my definitive review, which isn't really saying much
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 20, 2009 at 5:09 AM Post #5,118 of 10,747
Quote:

The colours look very nice on both. From your pictures the shells seem to be FREE of bubbles but some dirt inside, and the furnishing is not that smooth. Am I correct?

And of course waiting for your JH13 vs K1000/O2 thread
bigsmile_face.gif

How can you see any of that? They look smooth and clean to me from the photos.

Tyler, you have funny looking ear shape. Sorry...
tongue.gif

Oct 20, 2009 at 5:17 AM Post #5,119 of 10,747
The shape is kinda funny haha. Oh by the way! Jerry says hes gona fix up the cosmetic problems for me, i'm debating. I want to get them in another colour so the same thing doesn't happen again.

Oct 20, 2009 at 5:29 AM Post #5,121 of 10,747
Quote:

Hey, I'm just as God made me
k701smile.gif

Haha, True that True that.

Oct 20, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #5,122 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The shape is kinda funny haha. Oh by the way! Jerry says hes gona fix up the cosmetic problems for me, i'm debating. I want to get them in another colour so the same thing doesn't happen again.

Glad to hear that Jerry is willing to work with you.

Oct 20, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #5,123 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How can you see any of that? They look smooth and clean to me from the photos.

Tyler, you have funny looking ear shape. Sorry...
tongue.gif

i think the cleanliness of the interior can be better gauged with clear shells (which is what i'll be ordering).. anyone who has em care to share?

Oct 20, 2009 at 5:44 AM Post #5,124 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by hifidk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Glad to hear that Jerry is willing to work with you.

He said if they are fingerprints....now who sees the problem there?

Oct 20, 2009 at 8:47 AM Post #5,126 of 10,747
Quote:

As promised, Mrs. Sherwood is home, and pictures havebeen taken. The Green is "Chirt", and they're her JH5s. The Blue is "Muddy Water Blue", and they're my 13s. Both colors are solid, and both fit flawlessly, and look fantastic.

They do! So smooooth.

Quote:

And in the mean time waiting for Maodi's Unique Melody impressions!

I'm always on the lookout, of course, but I don't really think anything can beat the JH13 right now. Also, Sherwood's pictures of his flawless customs have done a lot to assuage my fears of receiving the same "dirty" products as Edwood and MaoDi.

Oct 20, 2009 at 9:20 AM Post #5,127 of 10,747
Disclosure: these are my first custom pieces.

These are first quick impressions over two days of use. Using iPhone 3GS and Macbook Pro, direct. Ranged from 128Kbps to Apple Lossless. Compared with a Sennheiser HD650.

I am more of a Full Speaker nut, my reference system being Accuphase Class A with italian speakers. Lush, luxurious with detail.

Pix

4025463117_3caca90355.jpg

4029090422_0a804257c6.jpg

4029087638_1ef76b2fd4.jpg

4029085174_56c2223f4c.jpg

Cosmetic

My transparent white shells have bubbles and marks on them. Don't care much though when they sound so good, but important for some people here to know.

Also the laser art is not perfect. Good enough though.

Fit

They seem to be pretty good though i have not much point of reference. I can move my mouth pretty much freely, bite, without compromising the seal.

The only thing that seems to dislodge them slightly is a wide grin, and gets worse when i combine that with a mouth wide open. Thankfully this never happens when i listen to music, and they pretty much snap back into place anyway.

I get a constant sensation that they 'want' to leave my ears, which is odd because im sure theyre not moving, but i feel as if my ear canals exercises slight pressure on them to pop them out. Im guessing this is because as a first custom, i need to get used to having these deep inside my ears.

When i press on the top of my ears or on the right back of the shells, bass is much more pronounced, but can be unnaturally so, it quickly becomes cavernous.

When i press on laterally on the shell to try and push them more in, same thing happens (more unnatural bass) with the added pain on my eardrums.

That leads me to believe that the seal is good.

One thing i hadnt thought of is glasses. I cant wear them when using the JH13. At least i havent found a way to do it correctly.

Sound

Ok, i read so much on these that i was prepared to be floored.

To be honest, i was disappointed. Disappointed that so much music sounded like crap because badly engineered or badly ripped.

Its only when i listened to some Dire Straits, Porcupine Tree or Radiohead that my head exploded and i was floored by how good these were.

These babies reveal everything, every nuance of every detail its scary. I sometimes heard some chair moving during live sessions i had never head before, even on my reference system. And the best thing is that they are not bright at all.

Instruments had never sounded so full, they had a weight to it that felt organic, if that makes any sense.

Voices were crystal clair and were positioned perfectly. On a good recording, the soundstage was wide. I am very picky on having a large soundstage and they didn't disappoint.

Only reservation i have is on bass, which doesn't seem as prominent or as heavy as i would have thought. Its a bit disconcerting.

My HD650 sounds very, very dark when A/B compared. Voices seem muffled and theres like a veil on top of the music that is striking. Its like listening in behind a door to the music, whereas the JH13 put you in the room. I can hear more bass though.

Questions

I wonder if these need any break in, they sound so good out of the box its hard to imagine.

I also wonder if the lack of bass is a problem with the fit, if its the correct fit and ive been suckered by too much bass on the HD650 or.... Im still exploring this point.

Thats it for now.

Cheers
Xavier

Oct 20, 2009 at 12:41 PM Post #5,128 of 10,747
Sorry Detrex, couldn't resist
smily_headphones1.gif

Here are some pix of a HUUUUUGGGGGGEEEEEEEE JH13 bubble, right between the main part of the earpiece and the tip.

4029385796_551f9ce3f7.jpg

Sorry Bubble haters, seems JH Audio hasn't perfected its clear shell manufacturing process.

I personally don't care much
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers
Xavier

Users who are viewing this thread

Back