JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Oct 20, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #5,132 of 10,747
you'd think JH audio (being as professional as they are) would have better quality control with bubbles and such...

Oct 20, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #5,134 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by jc9394 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not when I ordered my. Not sure now.

Rules them out til my 40th birthday in that case (5 years' time). Unless they get a dealer in the UK that is.

I've got a new set of ACS T1s this week, so I'm curious on how good these are. The T1s, to my mind, fit the descriptions of the JH13s thus far, save for the degree of neutrality and the breadth and depth of the headstage. The consensus seems to be that these truly rival traditional cans/speakers on that front.

I love the way this industry is going. This site's played a big part in improving the quality of my commuting time (and since that's 25 hours a week, that means it's played a massive role in improving my life as a whole).

My ultimate would be the kind of performance people are talking about on this thread coupled with the T1's comfort and seal, which on my set are perfect. The seal never breaks. I'll be wearing them for 7 and 8 hours at a time twice a weekend, and then for maybe 3 hours a day each working weekday... so comfort and seal are important, not least from a hearing protection perspective.

Anyway, blah blah. I'm really enjoying this thread and one day I'll own some of these, or an equivalent if other manufacturers manage to step up to the mark.

Oct 20, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #5,135 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by charlie0904 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
although bubbles is not a big issue but I also feel that a good reputable company should try and maintain a level of standard on their products.

They are reputable for excellent sound, not for build quality.
Seriously, sound quality is only the reason to justify my purchase.

Oct 20, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #5,136 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by badwisdom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Disclosure: these are my first custom pieces.

These are first quick impressions over two days of use. Using iPhone 3GS and Macbook Pro, direct. Ranged from 128Kbps to Apple Lossless. Compared with a Sennheiser HD650.

I am more of a Full Speaker nut, my reference system being Accuphase Class A with italian speakers. Lush, luxurious with detail.

[.........................................

Sound

Ok, i read so much on these that i was prepared to be floored.

To be honest, i was disappointed. Disappointed that so much music sounded like crap because badly engineered or badly ripped.

Its only when i listened to some Dire Straits, Porcupine Tree or Radiohead that my head exploded and i was floored by how good these were.

These babies reveal everything, every nuance of every detail its scary. I sometimes heard some chair moving during live sessions i had never head before, even on my reference system. And the best thing is that they are not bright at all.

Instruments had never sounded so full, they had a weight to it that felt organic, if that makes any sense.

Voices were crystal clair and were positioned perfectly. On a good recording, the soundstage was wide. I am very picky on having a large soundstage and they didn't disappoint.

Only reservation i have is on bass, which doesn't seem as prominent or as heavy as i would have thought. Its a bit disconcerting.

My HD650 sounds very, very dark when A/B compared. Voices seem muffled and theres like a veil on top of the music that is striking. Its like listening in behind a door to the music, whereas the JH13 put you in the room. I can hear more bass though.

Questions

I wonder if these need any break in, they sound so good out of the box its hard to imagine.

I also wonder if the lack of bass is a problem with the fit, if its the correct fit and ive been suckered by too much bass on the HD650 or.... Im still exploring this point.

Thats it for now.

Cheers
Xavier

congrats, I dont think you have a fit problem, 650's have never been praised for accurate bass performance. tightness of bass and accuracy, in the JH13, now thats another thing altogether. bass kills pretty mich everything IMO, only my modded denons rival them from my knowledge. i've never heard L3000. give yourself some time to get your head around the sound, you'l start to realize exactly how much bass content you have been missing with the senns, that is present on JH13

Oct 20, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #5,137 of 10,747
I can't wait for my adjusted JH13s to drive me crazy with bass.. they arrived at the lab yesterday and I'm pretty sure they're in transit by now given JHA's recent turnaround times.

Oct 20, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #5,138 of 10,747
please remember i'm NOT talking about bass quantity, but quality. quantity although ample, is not over-done. they are not what I would call a basshead's IEM, but they have enough that a bass head should be satisfied.

Oct 20, 2009 at 6:03 PM Post #5,139 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
please remember i'm NOT talking about bass quantity, but quality. quantity although ample, is not over-done. they are not what I would call a basshead's IEM, but they have enough that a bass head should be satisfied.

Having already heard my own pair extensively, I assure you I know.. however previously I wasn't getting enough bass (that should satisfy a bass head, as you say). They wreck my HF2s in terms of control regardless of quantity.

Oct 20, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #5,141 of 10,747
Finally had impressions made yesterday for a set of JH13 pro's to complement/replace my UE5P's. After talking with Zac regarding colors and artwork, I've decided to go with Blacklight blue for mine. He didn't have any pics because they haven't made a pair in this color yet. Yay for being the first
smily_headphones1.gif
. They should receive the impressions tomorrow.

For artwork, using the Mandatory Ear Protection UK safety sign below. Just the cans, hair line, and jaw line. Hope it looks good!

Oct 20, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #5,142 of 10,747
My JH13's arrived today!

Currently listening to them out of the front panel integrated audio of a university computer lab dell. I am impressed by how poor the sound quality is - i've never heard a can so revealing of source
biggrin.gif

I cannot wait until tonight, when I can finally plug them into something decent
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 20, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #5,143 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having already heard my own pair extensively, I assure you I know.. however previously I wasn't getting enough bass (that should satisfy a bass head, as you say). They wreck my HF2s in terms of control regardless of quantity.

oh sure, perhaps the capital letters were not warranted
wink.gif
, I do remember your posts on the matter, just not sure how much you were getting, or how much you were expecting on their return. it was also clarification flowing on from my comment regarding the bass in comparison to HD650
anyhoo, i'm sure you'll love them even more. though I must say that I have been using my modded denons a bit again recently, for a bit of fun on electronica. the detail and refinement across the range is superior on JH13 of course IMO, but I find i'm really loving the slam and visceral impact I get from the denons

Oct 20, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #5,144 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are reputable for excellent sound, not for build quality.
Seriously, sound quality is only the reason to justify my purchase.

Oh come on......listening to bubbles is really fun! You don't know what you're missing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oct 20, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #5,145 of 10,747
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darwin022 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Finally had impressions made yesterday for a set of JH13 pro's to complement/replace my UE5P's. After talking with Zac regarding colors and artwork, I've decided to go with Blacklight blue for mine. He didn't have any pics because they haven't made a pair in this color yet. Yay for being the first
smily_headphones1.gif
. They should receive the impressions tomorrow.

For artwork, using the Mandatory Ear Protection UK safety sign below. Just the cans, hair line, and jaw line. Hope it looks good!

I actually really like that. Nice choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back