JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
Oct 21, 2009 at 6:22 AM Post #5,161 of 10,745
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My JH13 came today. It sounds very nice out of the my 3rd Gen iTouch but I still prefer my K1000 due to a number of reasons. However, the bass of the JH13, though can be tightened up just a bit more, is some of the best I've heard.

I'm looking forward to pairing the JH13 with the Shadow when it comes out so I can make use of my Electrocompaniet ECD-1 and hopefully that will level the playing field with the K1000/Stingray/ECD-1 combo.

Lastly, the fit is perfect. Great job by Frances Miranda and the JHAudio Crew.

The improvement in JH13pro sound by moving up from a Touch or Nano as source to my CD5001 > Apogee Mini-DAC > Woo WA6 amp is fairly significant. At that point I think the JH13Pro outperform my K1000 on Macbook > PS Audio DLIII > SAC KH1000, EHHA or ZDT amps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hifidk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have read somewhere that a guy from either Westone or JHA said that acrylic shells don't turn yellow but vinyl and silicon do turn yellow. However, I think trans (or smoked) black looks much better than clear anyways
smily_headphones1.gif

I think that was Doug @ Westone who said if you clean the acrylic shells to be free of ear wax and oils they wont turn yellow. I don't know if he said they would not turn yellow even when not wiped clean.

Oct 21, 2009 at 6:28 AM Post #5,162 of 10,745
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The improvement in JH13pro sound by moving up from a Touch or Nano as source to my CD5001 > Apogee Mini-DAC > Woo WA6 amp is fairly significant. At that point I think the JH13Pro outperform my K1000 on Macbook > PS Audio DLIII > SAC KH1000, EHHA or ZDT amps.

How much does the JH13 scale from amplification? I'm wondering if I should get a desktop amp for it instead of the Shadow.

Oct 21, 2009 at 6:30 AM Post #5,163 of 10,745
Quote:

I think that was Doug @ Westone who said if you clean the acrylic shells to be free of ear wax and oils they wont turn yellow. I don't know if he said they would not turn yellow even when not wiped clean.

Maybe it was him on ES3X appreciation thread. I don't remember if he said we should wipe them after every use or just once in a while.

Well.... glad I got translucent black.

Oct 21, 2009 at 6:34 AM Post #5,164 of 10,745
Quote:

How much does the JH13 scale from amplification? I'm wondering if I should get a desktop amp for it instead of the Shadow.

I think these are really transparent. I can tell the difference going from iPhone to D10 and to Raptor. But I wouldn't get a desktop amp just for these because portables with good source do just fine. Getting a desktop amp just for these would be a bit extreme for normal user like me.

However, as you already know, people here enjoy extremes.

Oct 21, 2009 at 6:36 AM Post #5,165 of 10,745
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They likely won't yellow unless you never ever clean them.

Get a light smoke tint, it's still very clear with everything inside very visible, but looks nicer.

Clear Westone ES3X on left, Light Smoke JH13 on right.

Edwood_JH13_R2_01-ES3XCopy.jpg

-Ed

yea i agree.. is light smoke=translucent black? i don't seem to see any option for that colour..

Oct 21, 2009 at 6:40 AM Post #5,166 of 10,745
Quote:

I think these are really transparent. I can tell the difference going from iPhone to D10 and to Raptor. But I wouldn't get a desktop amp just for these because portables with good source do just fine. Getting a desktop amp just for these would be a bit extreme for normal user like me.

However, as you already know, people here enjoy extremes.

You know it.
wink.gif

I guess my eventual goal is to drive the JH13 out of a balanced amp, but first someone gotta come out with a balanced cable for it first.

Oct 21, 2009 at 7:09 AM Post #5,167 of 10,745
Quote:

Originally Posted by relishmalice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yea i agree.. is light smoke=translucent black? i don't seem to see any option for that colour..

I just wrote translucent black and asked them to make it bit darker than usual. They didn't have that color chart at all before so we had to manually write our color choices on the order form.

Oct 21, 2009 at 7:10 AM Post #5,168 of 10,745
Quote:

I can't say what amp would suit you best with these, but I had just said the improvement was significant when going from an iPod to a desktop rig. That implies they scale up well.

Oct 21, 2009 at 7:12 AM Post #5,169 of 10,745
Just a question for the design/artwork.

How do they make the non-transparent acrylic shells? Is it possible to make parts of it transparent and some of it not? I was thinking of a black shell with the JHAudio logo being transparent so the drivers inside can be seen thru the logo. Is that possible? Or does it have to be made transparent and the shell to be repainted black for all the parts except for the logo?

Oct 21, 2009 at 7:17 AM Post #5,170 of 10,745
Though I don't have the top amps at my disposal, I will say that even from the formidable graham slee voyager, or more powerful travagan's red, the jh13Pro induces a lot of distortion at the amp level. I would imagine that even more powerful amps may do better, but have a doubt that they will be that much more controlled when driving the jh13Pro. In fact, while the iem may be able to scale up much higher, it is likely held back because headphone amps aren't able to perform well enough.

it seems at intervals which may represent crossover networks. I am sure that an amp which can drive the JH13Pro at amp levels to 0 dbl across all frequencies and maintain a good stereo separation (none of which I am convinced is possible with conventional headphone amps) will make the iem sound even better, but no one can experience that yet.

it might be a project for amp builders. Not only to make an amp which drives dynamic headphones to 0 dbl, low distortion, and good separation, but an amp which can do the same for multi-balanced armatures.

if the JH13Pro have this problem imprinted on amps, i can only imagine what the Fit Ear 668 (6 voice cross over 6 units, 8 receivers) does!

This link refers to a review of the Fireye II amd/DAC, but every amp I have tested, whether mains or battery powered, has suffered the same frequency response when driving the jh13Pro. Suffice to say that when something can properly drive the JH13Pro, be prepared to hear a completely different iem. Again, for reference only I included only the Fireye II. All amps perform reasonably within the same bounds. The RMAA shots are about halfway down the review.

Oct 21, 2009 at 7:22 AM Post #5,171 of 10,745
Quote:

I just wrote translucent black and asked them to make it bit darker than usual. They didn't have that color chart at all before so we had to manually write our color choices on the order form.

I see. Thanks. So if i wanna get something similar to edwood's light smoke i'll juz put it as translucent black n tell them i want it in a lighter tone?

Oct 21, 2009 at 7:58 AM Post #5,172 of 10,745
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Though I don't have the top amps at my disposal, I will say that even from the formidable graham slee voyager, or more powerful travagan's red, the jh13Pro induces a lot of distortion at the amp level. I would imagine that even more powerful amps may do better, but have a doubt that they will be that much more controlled when driving the jh13Pro. In fact, while the iem may be able to scale up much higher, it is likely held back because headphone amps aren't able to perform well enough.

it seems at intervals which may represent crossover networks. I am sure that an amp which can drive the JH13Pro at amp levels to 0 dbl across all frequencies and maintain a good stereo separation (none of which I am convinced is possible with conventional headphone amps) will make the iem sound even better, but no one can experience that yet.

it might be a project for amp builders. Not only to make an amp which drives dynamic headphones to 0 dbl, low distortion, and good separation, but an amp which can do the same for multi-balanced armatures.

if the JH13Pro have this problem imprinted on amps, i can only imagine what the Fit Ear 668 (6 voice cross over 6 units, 8 receivers) does!

This link refers to a review of the Fireye II amd/DAC, but every amp I have tested, whether mains or battery powered, has suffered the same frequency response when driving the jh13Pro. Suffice to say that when something can properly drive the JH13Pro, be prepared to hear a completely different iem. Again, for reference only I included only the Fireye II. All amps perform reasonably within the same bounds. The RMAA shots are about halfway down the review.

The WA6 is one of those amps that does not distort at the amp level with JH13pro, and brings them up to a whole new level over the portable amps (noted in my review). The Single Power Square Wave XL is another amp that does quite well with the JH13Pro, and brings them to a whole new level above the portable amps.

The sound is quite well controlled with these two amps, and they even reign in the UE11Pro and control them very well. The frequency response also seems to be more even with these two amps, whether it is the ES3X, JH13Pro, or UE11Pro. Somehow the WA6 and Sq Wave XL make all three IEM, each with very different sound signatures, perform at very high levels; and they perform much closer to each other than when they were driven with iPods and portable amps.

Oct 21, 2009 at 7:59 AM Post #5,173 of 10,745
Quote:

FWIW, my ES3X's had a slight yellowish tint from the day I got them. They haven't changed colors noticeably since I've had them. Of course, I barely use them lately.

I use Audiowipes to do a thorough cleaning of all my IEM's every week.

Oct 21, 2009 at 8:05 AM Post #5,174 of 10,745
Quote:

I see. Thanks. So if i wanna get something similar to edwood's light smoke i'll juz put it as translucent black n tell them i want it in a lighter tone?

I have no idea what color he chose but it seems like you are right though.

Oct 21, 2009 at 8:18 AM Post #5,175 of 10,745
Quote:

Originally Posted by charpi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a question for the design/artwork.

How do they make the non-transparent acrylic shells? Is it possible to make parts of it transparent and some of it not? I was thinking of a black shell with the JHAudio logo being transparent so the drivers inside can be seen thru the logo. Is that possible? Or does it have to be made transparent and the shell to be repainted black for all the parts except for the logo?

I talked to Adam about something like that and he said it would be really hard to pour for the shells. If they are going to do something like that, it'd have to be with the paint. I'm sure he could do something for you like the main body of the earpiece being clear and the faceplate being black (or any other color) except for the JH logo. Might be cool to have a carbon fiber faceplate with the JH logo punched out on it (maybe the current laser would suffice to help trace the cut?)

Quote:

You might want to include pictures of Edwood's monitors in an email just so they have a reference of what they are aiming for.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back