iDSD micro Black Label. Tour details (page 147). Release info (page 153).
Jul 18, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #1,459 of 4,252
  I am really curious to hear the new ifi micro, it seems to promise a lot about sound quality. I have many doubts about the choice of the PCM1793 DAC chip that I know well, I think it's not a right choice, I hope to change my mind, but it has its limits and not only to the measures. All that I have heard with this dac chip had limitations, in particular on the performance of the full orchestra, it is not suitable for nuances of classical music, including the dynamics leaves a bit to be desired. And yes I agree the tda 1541a is very nice chip that only lack a bit in dinamic, but no.... the pcm1793 is not at same level.
I hope that the Ifi team did miracles with this dac chip.

I know your opinion is not shared by Thorsten and his team.  They have access to every DAC, and auditioned several before settling on the DSD1793.   

Of all the chips that are capable of native DSD conversion, the DSD1793 was chosen because it offered the best all around performance, including PCM.  As I am sure you are aware, it is a segment dac, that uses a multi-bit thermometer code DAC for the upper six bits, and a delta sigma DAC for the 18 lesser bits.  

For this purpose, that is, a chip capable of native conversion of DSD and PCM, there really is none better. (at least if we consider silicon makers that are still in business)  And while TI may have newer builds based on the same architecture, none of them match the quality of the pre-TI produced DSD1793. (Or so I have heard expressed by one with experience in these matters)

Perhaps you have heard poor implementations of this chip in the past.  I assure you the sound of the iDSD nano is in no way limited from a digital standpoint.  And I am sure that will also be the case with the iDSD micro.  

I am curious as to what you think would be the 'right' choice?  Remember, we want 'NATIVE' DSD conversion, meaning no digital filtering or DSP.  That right there eliminates most of the other choices.  (ESS, AKM, some Cirrus and Wolfson)

Others that do offer a native DSD path, typically have different analog stage requirements for PCM and DSD modes.  So a 'one size fits all' analog stage will compromise one or both formats.   The Burr Brown solution is unique, using the 64 level thermometer code portion of the DAC as an analog FIR filter for DSD.  So there is then no need for separate paths for DSD and PCM.  The design is such they can share a single path with little compromise.  

Jul 18, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #1,460 of 4,252

For this purpose, that is, a chip capable of native conversion of DSD and PCM, there really is none better. (at least if we consider silicon makers that are still in business)  And while TI may have newer builds based on the same architecture, none of them match the quality of the pre-TI produced DSD1793. (Or so I have heard expressed by one with experience in these matters)

Exactly.

Burr-Brown (pre-takeover by Ti) versus Burr-Brown (post-takeover by Ti)

Two almost totally different companies - in terms of priorities. As you know, the Japanese are fanatical about R&D. Post takeover, the TI accountants came in and set the rules.

Similar story with Multi-Bit and Single-Bit (BitStream) DACs. Remember when BitStream was touted as the best thing since sliced silicon and MultiBit was inferior?

Multi-Bit was developed when vinyl was the dominant format (hence Performance was the 1st criteria)
Single-Bit came when CD had become the dominant format (hence Cost became the 1st criteria)

- Hint: it was that bad they had to coin "Bitstream" instead of running with Single-Bit!

- One does not have to be an EE to appreciate a (digital) volume control should not be in a DAC. Save cost/space.

It is about also understanding the business drivers behind, not just look at the datasheet and measurements.

This is why we drill down to the silicon-die level, we go way beyond textbook. (see earlier post in this Crowd-Design thread. You may/may not agree but at least you can empathise with why we do what we do.

This is why we seldom go with flavour of the month chipsets (or whatever).

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jul 20, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #1,463 of 4,252
Just wondering... noticed that the idsd nano in the retail shop was somewhat not totally flat when placed on a flat surface.(ie it wobbles) Hope it's just a one-off and that the bigger micro idsd does not have this.

Jul 20, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #1,464 of 4,252
Just wondering... noticed that the idsd nano in the retail shop was somewhat not totally flat when placed on a flat surface.(ie it wobbles) Hope it's just a one-off and that the bigger micro idsd does not have this.

Perhaps the surface wasn't as flat as it looked. In any case the rubber feet are packed separately and you could always just attach 3 if you wanted to be sure that only your music would rock :D

Jul 20, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #1,465 of 4,252

I own three micro chasis devices: iUSB Power, iDAC, iCAN. None of them has any wobble whatsoever.

Jul 21, 2014 at 7:21 AM Post #1,466 of 4,252
SmartPower® Some say, it is so smart it should have a PhD.
Ahead of the global launch on 28 July, this article sheds some light on SmartPower® which is the complete battery power management/Smart device recharge functionality of the micro iDSD.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION:
Upon first receiving your micro iDSD, we strongly recommend that it undergoes a full-24 Hour charge with the unit turned OFF. This gives it the absolute best start and maintenance for many years to come. In addition, after a long period of disuse or after the battery has gone completely flat, please allow a full 24-Hour charge cycle.

Also, different USB cables are able to carry different amounts of current. We recommend the USB 3.0 cable (supplied in the micro iDSD) for fastest recharging.

Afterwards, you can mostly relax about the battery.

Background operational information
If the PC goes into normal standby, it is usually possible to set it to keep the USB ports alive. The iDSD micro’s power and battery management system is designed with the maximum “smarts” built-in to look after your battery.

• The battery we use includes protection circuitry that will self-disconnect in case of overvoltage, excessive load current or low-voltage.
  • The protection circuitry is self-resetting and even under low-voltage shutdown, the battery can be charged. This way the battery is maximally-protected from conditions that may damage it.

This is built-into the battery itself and independent from anything we at iFi do. But we go out of our way to make sure the protection circuitry has a cushy job, it just comes to the office, pours itself a cup of coffee and then puts its feet up on the desk. Normally there is never any work for it...

Power-save: when no signal is detected
The iDSD micro likes to guzzle juice, especially in Turbo mode. So, we implemented a power-save mode to cover all eventualities. If there is no signal on either SPDIF or USB input the iDSD will go to sleep after either:

• After 3 minutes on battery or
  • After 15 minutes on USB power

Only the SPDIF input and the ARM Cortex remain powered if there is no USB (otherwise USB is also powered up) and will be set to the lowest power consumption, in total a few 10 milli-ampere. This maximises play time on battery and on USB power allows charging at the maximum rate while “sleeping” when turned on.

Works while it sleeps
Even better, while in battery mode with a USB source attached the iDSD micro will attempt to detect if it is attached to a charger or computer or a smart device. If attached to PC or charger even in battery mode, the iDSD micro will charge when in sleep mode, it will switch back to 100% battery power when playback resumes.

At the lowest power-save sleep rate of discharge a full battery can last 4 days before the iDSD micro will go into full shutdown, as the battery charge becomes too low. Even at that point there is enough charge remaining to avoid engaging the battery’s own protection circuitry for several weeks.

Measures to maximise battery life
In addition, we have implemented the maximum possible measures to extend battery life, including different charging end voltages for "always on" and "cycle" use.  As long as the iDSD micro is switched on, the battery is charged to a lower voltage, this makes the battery’s lifespan essentially the same as the shelf-life, as it is never stressed. This limits battery capacity to around 80%, which is still plenty, unless you are wearing your K1000's out on the subway and you need to run Turbo mode with the volume maxed out.
If charging with the iDSD micro switched off, the battery is charged to 100%, so if you do and switch to Economy mode you should have juice enough for LAX (Los Angeles) > NRT (Narita) or ICN (Incheon) non-stop listening all the time including a couple of hours in the waiting lounge... 

To be cont'd.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jul 21, 2014 at 7:42 AM Post #1,467 of 4,252
  SmartPower® Some say, it is so smart it should have a PhD.
Ahead of the global launch on 28 July, this article sheds some light on SmartPower® which is the complete battery power management/Smart device recharge functionality of the micro iDSD.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION:
Upon first receiving your micro iDSD, we strongly recommend that it undergoes a full-24 Hour charge with the unit turned OFF. This gives it the absolute best start and maintenance for many years to come. In addition, after a long period of disuse or after the battery has gone completely flat, please allow a full 24-Hour charge cycle.

Also, different USB cables are able to carry different amounts of current. We recommend the USB 3.0 cable (supplied in the micro iDSD) for fastest recharging.

Afterwards, you can mostly relax about the battery.

Background operational information
If the PC goes into normal standby, it is usually possible to set it to keep the USB ports alive. The iDSD micro’s power and battery management system is designed with the maximum “smarts” built-in to look after your battery.

• The battery we use includes protection circuitry that will self-disconnect in case of overvoltage, excessive load current or low-voltage.
  • The protection circuitry is self-resetting and even under low-voltage shutdown, the battery can be charged. This way the battery is maximally-protected from conditions that may damage it.

This is built-into the battery itself and independent from anything we at iFi do. But we go out of our way to make sure the protection circuitry has a cushy job, it just comes to the office, pours itself a cup of coffee and then puts its feet up on the desk. Normally there is never any work for it...

Power-save: when no signal is detected
The iDSD micro likes to guzzle juice, especially in Turbo mode. So, we implemented a power-save mode to cover all eventualities. If there is no signal on either SPDIF or USB input the iDSD will go to sleep after either:

• After 3 minutes on battery or
  • After 15 minutes on USB power

Only the SPDIF input and the ARM Cortex remain powered if there is no USB (otherwise USB is also powered up) and will be set to the lowest power consumption, in total a few 10 milli-ampere. This maximises play time on battery and on USB power allows charging at the maximum rate while “sleeping” when turned on.

Works while it sleeps
Even better, while in battery mode with a USB source attached the iDSD micro will attempt to detect if it is attached to a charger or computer or a smart device. If attached to PC or charger even in battery mode, the iDSD micro will charge when in sleep mode, it will switch back to 100% battery power when playback resumes.

At the lowest power-save sleep rate of discharge a full battery can last 4 days before the iDSD micro will go into full shutdown, as the battery charge becomes too low. Even at that point there is enough charge remaining to avoid engaging the battery’s own protection circuitry for several weeks.

Measures to maximise battery life
In addition, we have implemented the maximum possible measures to extend battery life, including different charging end voltages for "always on" and "cycle" use.  As long as the iDSD micro is switched on, the battery is charged to a lower voltage, this makes the battery’s lifespan essentially the same as the shelf-life, as it is never stressed. This limits battery capacity to around 80%, which is still plenty, unless you are wearing your K1000's out on the subway and you need to run Turbo mode with the volume maxed out.
If charging with the iDSD micro switched off, the battery is charged to 100%, so if you do and switch to Economy mode you should have juice enough for LAX (Los Angeles) > NRT (Narita) or ICN (Incheon) non-stop listening all the time including a couple of hours in the waiting lounge... 

To be cont'd.

I have 2 questions:

1 My Laptop has an "always on" USB port, which means even if the Laptop is switched of there is a current for charging devices like mobile phones. Do you recommend using that port for connecting the micro iDSD or just a normal USB 3 port? 

2. Can the micro iDSD be connected to a powered USB hub (I am not talking about the micro iUSB but a standard USB hub) instead of directly into a USB port on the PC or will that have a negative effect on sound quality? 

PS: I am not sure if I can wait 24h before using the micro iDSD but I have to try... 

Jul 21, 2014 at 7:56 AM Post #1,468 of 4,252

I have 2 questions:

1 My Laptop has an "always on" USB port, which means even if the Laptop is switched of there is a current for charging devices like mobile phones. Do you recommend using that port for connecting the micro iDSD or just a normal USB 3 port? 

2. Can the micro iDSD be connected to a powered USB hub (I am not talking about the micro iUSB but a standard USB hub) instead of directly into a USB port on the PC or will that have a negative effect on sound quality? 

PS: I am not sure if I can wait 24h before using the micro iDSD but I have to try... 

Hi,

1) Yes, you can use this "always on port" depends upon if you wish to recharge your battery or not!

2) Yes - dont see why not.

Try to recharge for first 24 hours! 
regular_smile .gif

Jul 21, 2014 at 8:16 AM Post #1,469 of 4,252
iFi should have charged it for us :xf_eek: is this how you great your consumer and fans?! You design something so wonderful and challenged us to not touch it for the first 24 hours? :p

Don't take this too serious please :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back