iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Sep 11, 2012 at 3:38 AM Post #7,816 of 13,503
I too have noticed that FW v.1.1.7 sounds better than v.1.2.3. Wasn't so apparent via line-out to my Intec 205 system, but via my W5000's it certainly was.

iBasso need to make sure the next FW update finally gets the best of both FW versions. And only improve on that, not one step forward and two backwards.

Sep 11, 2012 at 4:08 AM Post #7,817 of 13,503
Quote:
I too have noticed that FW v.1.1.7 sounds better than v.1.2.3. Wasn't so apparent via line-out to my Intec 205 system, but to my W5000's it certainly was.

iBasso need to make sure the next FW update finally gets the best of both FW versions. And only improve on that, not one step forward and two backwards.

Not only that they need to improve more things. Such as having all stuff show up in order regardless of when you synched it. This is so annoying, I want to be able to add things as I go and not have to wipe my entire library and resycing everything so it all shows up in order (this is very apparent using my playlists).  This is a very basic function any DAP should have. Plus the long pause in-between switching tracks is not acceptable on 1.2.3. Please fix it where the transition is seamless yet you are not cutting out parts of the songs. I don't see why this would be difficult to implement either. Not sure if there is issues with sleep mode, maybe other can elaborate on this? It would be nice for the player to automatically go into sleep mode after a few minutes of being inactive so it doesn't kill the battery or drain it a lot (I fall asleep or forget the player is on). Maybe offer a setting where we can manually set this up, even my Studio V has this most basic of feature.

Also on the firmware updates you have all the spelling wrong. Maybe this is nitpicking but it doesn't look professional. If you guys need help with that just ask and we could provide you with the appropriate spelling :). As figgie mentioned having wrong spelling in the codding could very well be a major cause to a lot of these issues. Get them sorted out and have someone who is fluent in English and grammar do those corrections. I had mentioned about the clunky features that are worthless and taking up space such as the graphics screen and LRC file screen. Why not just eliminate those and replace it with a return to last screen function instead. Lastly what is the point of the secondary player? Can we just get rid of it and keep the primary player. I just see this as eating up extra resources for no reason.

Sep 11, 2012 at 4:16 AM Post #7,818 of 13,503
Wow! I have been thinking of buying the DX100 but this thread has made me very concerned about doing it now.

So many people connect the DX100 to external amplifiers, is that because the DX100 is not able to drive IEMs sufficiently?

I have a pair of UM Miracles on the way, and I was hoping the DX100 would drive them with enough dynamics, do you think that is so, or should I not sell my iBasso PB1 so I have enough amplification on hand?

Are people sorry they bought this now? It seems so many complaints about the firmware, I was not expecting this at all.

If not the DX100, what other PMP has great output, would I be better off with an HM-801 (I am selling my HM-601 to fund the purchase of the DX100)?

Wow, I sometimes wish I do not spend so much time researching things...

Sep 11, 2012 at 4:19 AM Post #7,819 of 13,503
Quote:
Wow! I have been thinking of buying the DX100 but this thread has made me very concerned about doing it now.

So many people connect the DX100 to external amplifiers, is that because the DX100 is not able to drive IEMs sufficiently?

I have a pair of UM Miracles on the way, and I was hoping the DX100 would drive them with enough dynamics, do you think that is so, or should I not sell my iBasso PB1 so I have enough amplification on hand?

Are people sorry they bought this now? It seems so many complaints about the firmware, I was not expecting this at all.

If not the DX100, what other PMP has great output, would I be better off with an HM-801 (I am selling my HM-601 to fund the purchase of the DX100)?

Well Danny the DX100 is very capable on its own of driving IEMs and powerful headphones. Just we like different flavors and to be honest some amps are just gonna be better than its internal amp. Same goes for the 801. We are complaining about the Firmware issues because they can be fixed and ibasso is working on it. If we don't complain it will never fixed. The unit is still an excellent piece of it. Don't let our complaints turn you off. What should turn you off is if they weren't willing to address these issues.

Sep 11, 2012 at 4:19 AM Post #7,820 of 13,503
Quote:

Well Danny the DX100 is very capable on its own of driving IEMs and powerful headphones. Just we like different flavors and to be honest some amps are just gonna be better than its internal amp. Same goes for the 801. We are complaining about the Firmware issues because they can be fixed and ibasso is working on it. If we don't complain it will never get fixed, at least not to our standards. The unit is still an excellent piece of it. Don't let our complaints turn you off. What should turn you off is if they weren't willing to address these issues.

Sep 11, 2012 at 4:31 AM Post #7,821 of 13,503
For my part, when using the DX100 with my Heir 8.A and UM Merlins, I actually prefer using the DX100 directly over using it with amps. For the HifiMAN HE-500 (fullsize orthos), while they sound good straight out of the DX100, adding the cheap O2 amp really lifts the sound. 

Sep 11, 2012 at 4:34 AM Post #7,822 of 13,503
Strangely enough the DX100 sounds even better when paired with the Tralucent T1 amp to my 1Plus2s. Not saying the DX100 don't sound great on its own. Just when you get spoiled :p.

Sep 11, 2012 at 4:49 AM Post #7,823 of 13,503
Quote:

I have pretty much similar gear to you on the Desktop and in all honesty, I don't think you will be disappointed if you take the plunge and buy the DX100. I still think it is the best sounding DAP around easily in a nice compact solution.

Everything sounds good plugged into it, unless you are really pedantic! Of course there are sonic benefits to be derived with adding amps but in all honesty if you are not exposed to such benefits, one could very happily just live happily with the DX100 without much regret.

At least for me, I have no urges to look elsewhere for another DAP. 

Sep 11, 2012 at 5:00 AM Post #7,824 of 13,503
IMHO, for now the DX100 is still my personal top ranking DAP available on the market (will re-evaluate when the HM-901 comes out). Best in terms of balance of SQ, portability, & UI - vs the other existing DAPs Colorfly, HM-6xx/8xx series, Sony Z-series, etc. Price wasn't in my criteria list.

As for external amps, my IEMs are easy to drive and although the ALO Rx Mk3 has a slight edge over the DX100 amp, it's not significant enough to make it a "must" for pairing. Similarly for my Fostex TH-900 headphone the DX100 drives it well.

When on the move (literally...bus, walk, train, etc), I use my DX100 on its own. When I'm sitting down at a cafe, I whip out my Rx Mk3.

So, no regrets buying the DX100, external amp a nice compliment but not compulsory.

P.S. this is my portable use. My desktop use is quite different. If you're using your DX100 as a holistic (portable & home) headphone setup, your priorities may be different.

Sep 11, 2012 at 6:08 AM Post #7,825 of 13,503
Sometimes I really wonder do audiophiles need strong muscles and go to do gyms etc, since they need to bring so many more gadgets than non-audiophiles people, and all those weights add up.... 
bigsmile_face.gif

For me, I use the DX100 alone to drive my ES5.

Sep 11, 2012 at 7:41 AM Post #7,827 of 13,503
I agree with Anak. The DX100 is incredible for what it is. The firmware and overall slowness and irresponsiveness to other playback software is troubling, BUT there is next to NO noise from the output, it handles a large range of headphones perfectly, and plays all important files out of the box. My purchased AAC work fine and so do my CD-ALAC files as well as FLAC, MP3, and others. I'm very very impressed. I'll finish a full review at TMA soon and conclude that this is the first Android device I feel is worthwhile - and that as an iOS forever user. 

Problems with firmware MUST be fixed - there is no excuse for the sloth, but next to, say a C4, and HiSound, it handles ID3 much much much much much much better, almost enough to make one toss one's salad when returning to the other manufacturer's POS players. Soundwise, the C4 and DX100 are neck and neck, though the DX100 is better for sensitive earphones (less noise, no clicks and pops), but the C4 is much easier and faster to use. 

No problems with power for either. I feel that the DX100 is the best device for people who are coming from the perfect running iPods and iPhones and who want a more powerful player or want to jump into the audiophile world - that is, when firmware is fixed. Currently, no dice. But, I'm looking forward to when firmware is fixed. No questions asked.

Sep 11, 2012 at 8:16 AM Post #7,828 of 13,503
Yes, the firmware really needs polishing up. Once the UI is all streamlined, iBasso has a real winner. In fact, I have been holding off presenting the DX100 to brick & mortar HiFi shops since the UI isn't quite smooth enough to warrant full positive feedback.

Sep 11, 2012 at 8:32 AM Post #7,829 of 13,503
To the people using external amps - the good news is you can as the line out is of high quality, but I sort of question the need. The DX100 performs as good or better than many portable amps. Sure, there are a few that can outperform it, but its amp section is very nice. Its DAC is a great chip, but some implementation isn't the best. But, still, I think it is the best overall system available today for someone interested in power, how amounts of hiss and distortion, plus an amazing array of native formats. 

Sep 11, 2012 at 8:56 AM Post #7,830 of 13,503
I have 2 of those very amps on hand :wink:. Currently rocking out though to my Studio V 3rd ANV and MDR-7550. Didn't think these 2 would get along at all. Boy was I wrong :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back