iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
May 26, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #6,166 of 13,503
Quote:
Well, that does depend doesn't it? I won't say not all the available tracks in HDTracks come from analogue tapes that don't have resolution. In fact, I'm actually not certain what that means in the first place. I know resolution in digital terms but resolution in analogue terms, that's new to me.

Anyhow, if most of the tracks HDTracks sells are from SACD converts, it'll depend on the recording masters of the SACD in the first place. e.g. beliefs are that Norah Jones' "Come Away With Me" was supposedly from Redbook upsampled to SACD so no benefit there. But OTOH, something like Dave Brubeck's TimeOut may be a different story since the original is from analogue tapes when mastered to SACD.

Well we are getting onto another subject here but maybe not since the DX100 is designed to finally use some of the high resolution recordings. With regards to SACD, I have a few hundred and a number have no better sound quality than a red book. Often a recording is done and then run through the board with signals getting squashed and there goes the dynamics and soundstage. I like uncompressed and unprocessed and correctly miked recordings but this isn't often done. 

May 26, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #6,167 of 13,503
Quote:
On a side note, I just ordered the MK3 so I can try it balanced with HE-500 and LCD-2 with DX100 and HP-P1.  Should be fun.  

Looking forward to that one too

popcorn.gif

May 26, 2012 at 4:50 AM Post #6,168 of 13,503
Quote:
Anyone else experiencing this problem?

I've just uploaded the DX100 with the latest firmware update and now i can't seem to play the majority of my high res AIF files, especially those files which are large.

I see the song in the directory, the title and the amount of space it occupies but the playback time of each track reads '00:00' and cannot be played.

Would greatly appreciate any advise on how to remedy this problem.

Just double checking, are the files on the internal drive or a card? Is it only AIF files? Are all files in sub directories of a folder called "music"?

May 26, 2012 at 5:06 AM Post #6,169 of 13,503
Quote:
Well we are getting onto another subject here but maybe not since the DX100 is designed to finally use some of the high resolution recordings. With regards to SACD, I have a few hundred and a number have no better sound quality than a red book. Often a recording is done and then run through the board with signals getting squashed and there goes the dynamics and soundstage. I like uncompressed and unprocessed and correctly miked recordings but this isn't often done. 

Interesting you don't hear any differences in SACDs vs redbook. Presumably you're talking about playing the discs directly rather than some conversion. What is your setup?

I don't have as many SACDs as you, only have about 35. Mostly Jazz from 50's/60's west coast Jazz (Paul Desmond, Dave Brubeck, Gerry Mulligan, etc.) to more modern Clementine/Diana Krall, some classical, Tony Bennett, and soundtracks (Top Gun/Footloose). Some of them are duplicated on redbook...e.g. I have Time Out, and Yo-Yo Ma's Morricone in both formats and with these I do hear a difference on my home stereo setup (Marantz DV9500, Accuphase E-407, B&W N804).

It's because of this very reason I hear a difference that I've put specifically hirez FLACs on my DX100 - either me converting the SACD -> FLAC myself, or buying from HDTracks.

As such, despite all the talk/rumours or complaints about HDTracks, I personally have no issues with them. Possibly along the chain from master source all the way to HDTrack's soft format that the supplier may up-sample, I won't be too quick to generalise and say all HDTracks are no better than Redbook CD's.

In the recent Tokyo Spring/May Fujiya Headphone Festival, one of the guys who flew in from overseas is a recording engineer and we had an interesting conversation with him about what really happens in recording studio and the differences of what happens now vs how things were done years back. Maybe that's one of the reasons why most of my SACDs are albums released decades ago.

May 26, 2012 at 6:06 AM Post #6,170 of 13,503
My experience using redbook vs high res is that there are differences in mastering on each file.  I have yet to go through the trouble of down sampling high res to redbook standard to test against each other and don't know if this would present a perfect comparison anyway.

May 26, 2012 at 6:46 AM Post #6,171 of 13,503
The whole high-res thing is a bit of a quagmire. Technically the only thing you're supposed to get is a lower noise floor with high res files, but there's also the factor of whether they are re-mastered, how they were created (compared to the CD version) and whatnot. So it could just be your DAC rather than the files. Regardless, I have quite a bit of well-recorded high-res material and even if the benefits of being high-res are limited, I reckon I'm getting the best out of the music possible.

May 26, 2012 at 9:04 AM Post #6,172 of 13,503
@spkrs01
let me first say I find your posts, i.e. your journey with the DX100 interesting and helpful. I hope the following will not sound offensive in any way as it's not meant to be.

The great thing about the DX100 is the combination of sound quality and portability (one case only, no hassle with additional cables, dacs, amps).
The weaker points are these: battery life is not excellent but ok
space (2 x 64GB, without switching cards) is not excellent
interface is not really great, I am tempted to say cumbersome (at least with the current software)

Now back to you
normal_smile%20.gif
: I think, that you are starting to move in circles:
with adding an amp and now a DAC and just keep the DX100 as a transport, you are giving away the good things of the DX100, while keeping all the weaker properties.

Reading your previous posts: you are using the DX100 as a component in your bedside rig together with an amp + dac + (e.g.) LCD-2. For a bedside rig you don't need the portability, but a nice interface would be nice... so why not take the DX100 out of this rig and use a small laptop as transport with JRiver mediacenter plus iPad with JRemote app on it. Just stable, slick and elegant.

I too, often start to move in circles...

At the moment I am using the DX100 as part of a transportable/portable rig: DX100 + some 64GB cards + Ultrasone Ed. 8
and yes I am also thinking about a bedside rig, this: Laptop/iPad + Mytek Stereo 192 + Violectric V200 + LCD-3

May 26, 2012 at 9:50 AM Post #6,173 of 13,503
You know what you are right........
beerchug.gif

Just picked up the V800 DAC today and as a transport, the DX100 is blown away by the JRiver.  I am nearly settled for the moment
L3000.gif

On the desk JRiver > V800 > V200 > HE-500/LCD-2

Bedside DX100 > Triad L3/LLP > HD650/Shure SRH 1840 plus IEMs.

I have a pair of HD800 arriving soon and maybe I will get the LCD-3 too and then I am done.........I have a Bladelius left over and may as you have suggested, run the bedside rig from a ultrabook, shame I can't do it off a tablet at the moment. 

It has been fun though...................

Quote:
@spkrs01
let me first say I find your posts, i.e. your journey with the DX100 interesting and helpful. I hope the following will not sound offensive in any way as it's not meant to be.

The great thing about the DX100 is the combination of sound quality and portability (one case only, no hassle with additional cables, dacs, amps).
The weaker points are these: battery life is not excellent but ok
space (2 x 64GB, without switching cards) is not excellent
interface is not really great, I am tempted to say cumbersome (at least with the current software)

Now back to you
normal_smile%20.gif
: I think, that you are starting to move in circles:
with adding an amp and now a DAC and just keep the DX100 as a transport, you are giving away the good things of the DX100, while keeping all the weaker properties.

Reading your previous posts: you are using the DX100 as a component in your bedside rig together with an amp + dac + (e.g.) LCD-2. For a bedside rig you don't need the portability, but a nice interface would be nice... so why not take the DX100 out of this rig and use a small laptop as transport with JRiver mediacenter plus iPad with JRemote app on it. Just stable, slick and elegant.

I too, often start to move in circles...

At the moment I am using the DX100 as part of a transportable/portable rig: DX100 + some 64GB cards + Ultrasone Ed. 8
and yes I am also thinking about a bedside rig, this: Laptop/iPad + Mytek Stereo 192 + Violectric V200 + LCD-3

May 26, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #6,175 of 13,503
Quote:

Just double checking, are the files on the internal drive or a card? Is it only AIF files? Are all files in sub directories of a folder called "music"?

All music files are stored in the internal drive. Prior to the firmware update, all the songs were playable. After the latest firmware update, only half the songs are playable. I notice that the majority of songs which are not playable are in AIF format and are typically over 30mb each. Its strange because there are some songs which are in AIF and over 30mb which play in the DX100. So i gather that format and file size is not the problem.

I have tried clearing the internal memory and re-copying all the songs in the DX100 as well as re-installing the latest firmware update but to no avail. 

Another problem I note with my DX100 is that not all music copied in the DX100 can be found in "Albums". I have to access the "directory" and "internal memory" folders to find my 'lost' music which are stored in the DX100.

Has anyone experienced this problem? Appreciate any advise on how I could go about solving this. Should I install another music player in the DX100? Right now I'm using the stock player.

I have contacted iBasso about this and am waiting for their response.

May 26, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #6,176 of 13,503
Quote:
Interesting you don't hear any differences in SACDs vs redbook. Presumably you're talking about playing the discs directly rather than some conversion. What is your setup?

I didn't say I don't hear any difference in SACD's vs redbook, I said a number of them have no better sound, not all, a big difference. If the SACD isn't well recorded, it doesn't matter what the resolution is, which is what I am referring to and some of the SACD's were made from analog recordings, which didn't capture enough information to be any better on SACD than redbook. Some are excellent some are not, which is true of all formats. 

May 26, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #6,177 of 13,503
All music files are stored in the internal drive. Prior to the firmware update, all the songs were playable. After the latest firmware update, only half the songs are playable. I notice that the majority of songs which are not playable are in AIF format and are typically over 30mb each. Its strange because there are some songs which are in AIF and over 30mb which play in the DX100. So i gather that format and file size is not the problem.

I have tried clearing the internal memory and re-copying all the songs in the DX100 as well as re-installing the latest firmware update but to no avail. 

Another problem I note with my DX100 is that not all music copied in the DX100 can be found in "Albums". I have to access the "directory" and "internal memory" folders to find my 'lost' music which are stored in the DX100.

Has anyone experienced this problem? Appreciate any advise on how I could go about solving this. Should I install another music player in the DX100? Right now I'm using the stock player.

I have contacted iBasso about this and am waiting for their response.

You didn't say whether or not you had created a folder called "Music" on you internal drive. If you just drop the files into the internal drive without a destination folder such as "Music", you will get odd results. Do NOT put your files in the "sdcard" folder!

May 26, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #6,178 of 13,503
Quote:
You didn't say whether or not you had created a folder called "Music" on you internal drive. If you just drop the files into the internal drive without a destination folder such as "Music", you will get odd results. Do NOT put your files in the "sdcard" folder!

All files are stored in a separate folder named "Music" in the DX100. I find it strange too that they all do not appear in the playlist. 
confused.gif

May 26, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #6,179 of 13,503
Quote:
Both Poweramp and Stock players see my internal and external 64Gb card. I have over 120 Gb of files total.  I left a little over 2 gigs free on both.  I always think some breathing space is needed for some reason.

Quote:
That is great. I have just two albums on the 65gb external. How long did it take for the stock player to recognize the 64gb and build files for it?

Just as I wrote the above line, mine cued up for the micro chip. So it takes a while but works fine. Excellent, over 120gb's of memory! I have 5 32gb cards, with 4 filled, so getting a lot of music filed. 

Up to almost 300 pages now , i may have missed exactly what 64 Gig card your using that works for internal to recognize it mate
So can i please ask you ? Im guessing some sandisc ? I see them at B&H in 70 dollar range ,here in Canada almost 200 dollars
at bestbuy today . Sweet mercy , unless someone knows where else in Canada they re cheaper . In memory here it appears
as all 64 GB successes have been with sandisc cards ?

May 26, 2012 at 2:34 PM Post #6,180 of 13,503
Quote:

At least in the article below Bruce of Puget Sound does ripping for HDTracks from SACD. I doubt if they're the sole supplier though :-

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?3139-What-music-do-you-use-to-evaluate-DACs&p=48325&viewfull=1#post48325
http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?3341-Ripping-SACDs-the-right-way&highlight=hdtracks

There's lots of other threads in whatsbestforum from Bruce on how they do it.

Thanks mate appreciate that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back