How many people here get irritated by 'normals'?
Mar 6, 2009 at 2:57 PM Post #121 of 220
well, english has many exceptions but i generally see the above words spelled just like that.

jonathon is right and wrong though as we all are: english is evolving and sometimes going back to its roots. problems arise when english from one country evolves separately to another country's english which happens all the time. mentioned here too is TV and internet culture. for the english-speaking people, that is quite generally and literally, the american english.

in 10 years, i have seen canadian english turn drastically american. as an outsider, it is easy to spot.

about anti-americanism: it makes no sense to bring that up in this post at all. how is a person anti-american by pointing out that english is not an american language? that if the american oed says british-english, then it generates its own controversy. it is not anti-american to say, oh well, that oed is obviously american.

too much defensive stuff going on here. i don't know if it is the media or political stances, but disagreement does not have to be anti american - if so, then every one who disagrees could be later counted among (i won't continue because now i will get political)

Mar 6, 2009 at 3:13 PM Post #122 of 220
Confession. I've just read the first page, and really didn't do anything more than skim it quickly.

But if this is another, "I hate the World and everyone in it" thread, then no thanks. Not interested. The best thing to do is to go out and get some sunshine. Take a look quick around and think for a second about those who are less fortunate than you are. Life isn't so bad. Consider the alternative. Sure, people do crappy things and sometimes can be outright annoying, but that's all part of the game. Relax, and enjoy it.

Mar 6, 2009 at 3:21 PM Post #123 of 220
the confession thread is -> way wmcmanus.
It's not really an I hate the world thread so much as a "things that annoy me" thread just FYI
edit: shigzeo, thats how things work in china. Why not be competative with china in this too?.
man im so tired
rolleyes.gif

Mar 6, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #124 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Confession. I've just read the first page, and really didn't do anything more than skim it quickly.

But if this is another, "I hate the World and everyone in it" thread, then no thanks. Not interested. The best thing to do is to go out and get some sunshine. Take a look quick around and think for a second about those who are less fortunate than you are. Life isn't so bad. Consider the alternative. Sure, people do crappy things and sometimes can be outright annoying, but that's all part of the game. Relax, and enjoy it.

It's a little side-tracked at the moment. Currently it's about british-english, american-english, aussie-english… who knows where it will turn next. Cayman-english, does that exist?

A-Team theme song is on, got to rock!

Mar 6, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #125 of 220
Not sure what you mean by 'norms'.
Some random people can irritate me once in a while, but i don't let it get too much into me. I most often just ignore them, or just leave.

Mar 6, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #127 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by m0ofassa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
congrats on being first on-topic post in a long time.
by norms i mean normals (normal people). will fix thread title now

What do you mean? "first on-topic post in a long time"
I am on-topic most of the time, but I admit I often respond to the thread topic directly. ..and of course reply other members who already are off-topic.

This is exactly what we talk about. Getting irritated by 'normals'

Mar 6, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #129 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you mean? "first on-topic post in a long time"
I am on-topic most of the time, but I admit I often respond to the thread topic directly. ..and of course reply other members who already are off-topic.

This is exactly what we talk about. Getting irritated by 'normals'

LOL...no kr...I think she meant you were the first one that had posted on topic in this thread in quite a few posts(in this thread)...now you're gettin all defensive and cranky...haahahaha!! Let's all calm down and go outside and run around a minute.
o2smile.gif

Mar 6, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #130 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by m0ofassa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
congrats on being first on-topic post in a long time.
by norms i mean normals (normal people). will fix thread title now

I hate people that do not use capital letters and punctuation in sentences.

God I'm so tense now.

Mar 6, 2009 at 6:31 PM Post #131 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by spookygonk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hate people that do not use capital letters and punctuation in sentences.

God I'm so tense now.

Don't hate people spooky...that ain't nice.
biggrin.gif

Mar 6, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #132 of 220
I can't find it at the moment, but some time ago, samgotit started a thread about going out and lying in the grass.

Most participants in this thread would do well to read it.

There's nothing particularly cool about being angry or disaffected. Go out and lie in the grass. Lighten up and enjoy yourself before it's all over.

Mar 6, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #133 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fido2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL...no kr...I think she meant you were the first one that had posted on topic in this thread in quite a few posts(in this thread)...now you're gettin all defensive and cranky...haahahaha!! Let's all calm down and go outside and run around a minute.
o2smile.gif

Aha! Then I guess my English came a bit short, alternatively she could have been a bit clearer.

Not irritated any longer.
tongue.gif

Mar 6, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #135 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't find it at the moment, but some time ago, samgotit started a thread about going out and lying in the grass.

Most participants in this thread would do well to read it.

There's nothing particularly cool about being angry or disaffected. Go out and lie in the grass. Lighten up and enjoy yourself before it's all over.

Don't even mention it. I can't wait for things to dry up here so I can do exactly that. Before that will happen though, the temperature have to rise up a little, then I'll head for the park and a nice little bench in the sunshine, get comfortable, find the newspaper and headphones, and just let the hours pass.
Aaah…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back