How many people here get irritated by 'normals'?
Mar 5, 2009 at 11:01 PM Post #91 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even if you could care less about ethics or a higher power, it's always good to do for your own mental health
wink.gif

COOKIE TIME - Awesome post, especially this part.

Mar 5, 2009 at 11:36 PM Post #92 of 220
There has been a strange emergence of people like the OP posting on the few forums I visit.. the ones who are anti-social, yet, open up to the online forums.

I never got these people.

Mar 5, 2009 at 11:42 PM Post #93 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by BMWWW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There has been a strange emergence of people like the OP posting on the few forums I visit.. the ones who are anti-social, yet, open up to the online forums.

I never got these people.

Anonymity, its wonders never cease.

Mar 6, 2009 at 12:09 AM Post #94 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by m0ofassa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yah, I'm sure my opinion on things will change - they changed a lot during my teens, and now that im in my 20s I find a lot of stuff irritating. How old did you think i was?

Its weird (irritating even) that when I ask a topic about "how many of you <x>" i get lectures about how its my whollistically fault that some people have bad habits.

Well, in a sense it is your whollistic [sic] fault. At some point in your life you will reach - if you are very fortunate - the realization that you are responsible for your own emotional responses. People around you will do this & that, but you must own your own feelings. Some years ago (early forties) I was in therapy, and the rapist, er, THERAPIST, told me that I externalized blame. I began to monitor myself, and yes, she was right. I am quieter, now, more humble. You must be patient with yourself, as it takes a lifetime to become you. Be patient with others - it takes a lifetime for them, too, and not all of us reach even minimal potential.
frown.gif

Remember: you're getting better. Excuse me, I have to go. I'll just dissolve right here in front of you....pffffft. [kudos, Ken Nordine]

[BTW, I thought you were in your mid-twenties.]

Mar 6, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #95 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus Short /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, in a sense it is your whollistic [sic] fault. At some point in your life you will reach - if you are very fortunate - the realization that you are responsible for your own emotional responses. People around you will do this & that, but you must own your own feelings. Some years ago (early forties) I was in therapy, and the rapist, er, THERAPIST, told me that I externalized blame. I began to monitor myself, and yes, she was right. I am quieter, now, more humble. You must be patient with yourself, as it takes a lifetime to become you. Be patient with others - it takes a lifetime for them, too, and not all of us reach even minimal potential.
frown.gif

Remember: you're getting better. Excuse me, I have to go. I'll just dissolve right here in front of you....pffffft. [kudos, Ken Nordine]

[BTW, I thought you were in your mid-twenties.]

Externalizing blame. What bothers me is that our health curriculum encourages it... They say optimism is externalizing your problems whereas pessimism fines inner faults. One of the survey questions was "You had a bad day skiing" One choice was "Skiing is difficult" and the other was "The trails were icy." Apparently more successful, more optimistic, more happy people pick the 2nd one... which translated to blaming your surroundings/others = good for your life's success.

Sorry for off topic, but that really bothered me. Our class is being encouraged to find faults in others before they find faults in themselves, or at least that's what I and a few other kids I know have picked up from it.

Mar 6, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #96 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by Calexico /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Our class is being encouraged to find faults in others before they find faults in themselves, or at least that's what I and a few other kids I know have picked up from it.

As the late Jeff Cooper said, we live in the Era of Hurt Feelings. Today's culture stresses warm fuzzies, self esteem, feeling good at all costs, and avoiding taking personal responsibility. Give me original sin, thank you.

Laz

Mar 6, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #97 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You must be quite old then, because if you haven't noticed, people use 'u' instead of 'you, 'r' instead of 'are' for convenience and not trying to be hip or trendy.

I am twenty. Use proper grammar. The tenth of a second you are saving by not typing "ou" is not precious enough to bastardize a pretty simple language.

To the OP: Lighten up man, you obviously aren't apathetic if these things irritate you so much. Oh, and read Bukowski.

Mar 6, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #98 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus Short /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As the late Jeff Cooper said, we live in the Era of Hurt Feelings. Today's culture stresses warm fuzzies, self esteem, feeling good at all costs, and avoiding taking personal responsibility. Give me original sin, thank you.

Laz

Amen Laz...Truth has been kicked to the curb and we all are reaping what's been sown.

Mar 6, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #99 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All I can really add to the OP is that he needs to keep this kind of introverted, anti-social stuff in check. You're sounding like a depressive, man. No offense intended whatsoever, but that's just my take on it, coming from an anxious depressive. Focus on the good stuff. There's too much crap out there trying to drain your motivation.

Grats on 5k. For the record, female and not really antisocial (borderline party girl). I'm also quite happy. I have a lot of friends I go out with quite frequently who do not annoy me. I am not depressed, I just have a thing for observation and I see a lot of things that are irritating.
-
Skimmed the thread, loved the bit about british people. Some of the teenagers just have apalling english, although coming from a state in Au with relatively good education (and from several years with an excellent teacher) I cannot say I am particularly pleased with the average level of communicative skills of americans either. I've probably made a typo but yeah.
Since about 04 theres been a quickly increasing group of grammarnazis who seem hell bent on pointing out spelling errors or grammatical problems (their favourite being the "sentence fragment"), and spelling being their main irk. It's great they believe in correct spelling etc online, sure go to town. I see them using it as a point in arguments a lot though...
"Lol, I don't know why I am even bothering to talk to you when you can't even spell surrealism."
Which I think is annoying, but also quite funny at the same time; especially given the M$ word-like responses they give. Whilst their grammar is not inherently wrong, it's inconcise and of low-level expression.

Has anyone else found that the norm has been getting more annoying?

Mar 6, 2009 at 5:08 AM Post #100 of 220
Quote:

Grats on 5k. For the record, female and not really antisocial (borderline party girl). I'm also quite happy. I have a lot of friends I go out with quite frequently who do not annoy me. I am not depressed, I just have a thing for observation and I see a lot of things that are irritating.
-
Skimmed the thread, loved the bit about british people. Some of the teenagers just have apalling english, although coming from a state in Au with relatively good education (and from several years with an excellent teacher) I cannot say I am particularly pleased with the average level of communicative skills of americans either. I've probably made a typo but yeah.
Since about 04 theres been a quickly increasing group of grammarnazis who seem hell bent on pointing out spelling errors or grammatical problems (their favourite being the "sentence fragment"), and spelling being their main irk. It's great they believe in correct spelling etc online, sure go to town. I see them using it as a point in arguments a lot though...
"Lol, I don't know why I am even bothering to talk to you when you can't even spell surrealism."
Which I think is annoying, but also quite funny at the same time; especially given the M$ word-like responses they give. Whilst their grammar is not inherently wrong, it's inconcise and of low-level expression.

Has anyone else found that the norm has been getting more annoying?

irony6.jpg

Mar 6, 2009 at 5:48 AM Post #102 of 220
Quote:

And now to increase the "irony", I'll be a nazi and tell you that isnt irony at all.

No offense. I thought it was funny.

Is it not ironic that you are getting annoyed at people getting annoyed at you.

Is it ironic that you are grammar nazi'ing my post?

Mar 6, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #103 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by fordgtlover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No offense. I thought it was funny.

Is it not ironic that you are getting annoyed at people getting annoyed at you.

Is it ironic that you are grammar nazi'ing my post?

Irony is the use of a word to convey something other than its literal intention (EDIT: there are other forms of irony that I wont go in to, but none of them involve what you were describing). So no, none of the posts are ironic. Humorous consequences, maybe. It's all cool though. I didnt understand it as him getting annoyed at me, nor was I annoyed at him, sorry.
hopefully we can still be friends
wink.gif

Mar 6, 2009 at 6:26 AM Post #104 of 220
Quote:

Irony is the use of a word to convey something other than its literal intention (EDIT: there are other forms of irony that I wont go in to, but none of them involve what you were describing). So no, none of the posts are ironic. Humorous consequences, maybe. It's all cool though. I didnt understand it as him getting annoyed at me, nor was I annoyed at him, sorry.
hopefully we can still be friends
wink.gif

Maybe it is just humorous consequences. Either way, I got a chuckle out of it. As for being annoyed, nope. And, of course, my intention was certainly not to offend or annoy you or others. And, the crappy picture was all I could find quickly.

I've derailed the thread a little bit. Sorry.
wink.gif
I think I'll leave the thread and go and solder some stuff.

Mar 6, 2009 at 6:28 AM Post #105 of 220
Screams out loud and starts running in circles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back