HiBy R8 II - HiBy's New High-End DAP
Jan 23, 2024 at 4:07 PM Post #256 of 629
HIBY R8 II arrived, first listen now is very impressive.
Plugged it first in to line out, they have swapped the line out and headphone out from the R6 Pro 2.

DSCF4225.jpg

DSCF4207.jpg

Jan 23, 2024 at 4:33 PM Post #257 of 629
HIBY R8 II arrived, first listen now is very impressive.
Plugged it first in to line out, they have swapped the line out and headphone out from the R6 Pro 2.

Yes and line out volume is NOT currently variable, despite the volume changing on screen, so be careful! It's a bug apparently.

Jan 23, 2024 at 4:41 PM Post #258 of 629
Yes and line out volume is NOT currently variable, despite the volume changing on screen, so be careful! It's a bug apparently.
Used my test earbuds first, would have hurt the ears if not 😅 could have read the labels ofc, but hard how our memory work since I'm been using the R6P2 for months.

Jan 23, 2024 at 4:45 PM Post #259 of 629
Used my test earbuds first, would have hurt the ears if not 😅 could have read the labels ofc, but hard how our memory work since I'm been using the R6P2 for months.
Yeah they've always swapped the ports on R6 and R8.

Jan 23, 2024 at 10:17 PM Post #261 of 629
If anyone has any thoughts on the R8II's synergy with the Mentor please chime in. The blue R8II would look wonderful with it. I wasn't quite fond of the pairing with my RS6, but maybe this is the trick. The Sony DAP is way better suited IMO. However, this may the perfect fit.

Jan 24, 2024 at 1:14 AM Post #262 of 629
Beautiful photos. What is that stand the DAP's sitting on?
Thanks. That is a smartphone holder, not available anymore this model. But should be many brands out there with similar stuff. Just be sure the port you will use is not blocked.

Mine works with balanced, but single ended would be worse.

Jan 24, 2024 at 6:55 AM Post #263 of 629
If anyone has any thoughts on the R8II's synergy with the Mentor please chime in. The blue R8II would look wonderful with it. I wasn't quite fond of the pairing with my RS6, but maybe this is the trick. The Sony DAP is way better suited IMO. However, this may the perfect fit.
If you like the synergy with a Sony DAP I doubt you’ll like the R8 II. From what I gather from the reviews and impressions, R8 II has a more reference tuning. Sony sound is the opposite of that.

I’m a big fan of the Sony sound which is why I still use the Zx707 as much as I use the R6P2, especially after the latest firmware update for the Zx707 these 2 are really close in terms of sound quality and fun !

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2024 at 9:02 AM Post #266 of 629
If you like the synergy with a Sony DAP I doubt you’ll like the R8 II. From what I gather from the reviews and impressions, R8 II has a more reference tuning. Sony sound is the opposite of that.

I’m a big fan of the Sony sound which is why I still use the Zx707 as much as I use the R6P2, especially after the latest firmware update for the Zx707 these 2 are really close in terms of sound quality and fun !

We all have a different definition of the "reference" tuning, and in general hear things differently, especially when it comes to treble. Thus a relative comparison is always a better way to describe it. R8II has a smoother fuller body analog tuning with slightly reduced treble emphasis. While using UM MM, between R8II and WM1ZM2, Mentor sounds to have more revealing mids and noticeably more energy in treble paired up with M2 (DSEE Ultimate on, DC Phase Linearize Type B on, Vinyl Processor Turntable style on), and fuller body mids/vocals and smoother treble response with R8II (Turbo on, Class AB, Mid gain).

Jan 24, 2024 at 9:18 AM Post #268 of 629
Where is HiBy R8 II review from Headfonia and @twister6 ?

I received about 20 products for review in the last month (and more incoming before CanJam NYC); this is still my full-time hobby, not a full-time job :wink: R8II is next on the list, starting to work on it now!

Jan 24, 2024 at 6:19 PM Post #270 of 629
We all have a different definition of the "reference" tuning, and in general hear things differently, especially when it comes to treble. Thus a relative comparison is always a better way to describe it. R8II has a smoother fuller body analog tuning with slightly reduced treble emphasis. While using UM MM, between R8II and WM1ZM2, Mentor sounds to have more revealing mids and noticeably more energy in treble paired up with M2 (DSEE Ultimate on, DC Phase Linearize Type B on, Vinyl Processor Turntable style on), and fuller body mids/vocals and smoother treble response with R8II (Turbo on, Class AB, Mid gain).
I agree that what one perceives as a reference sound may be slightly different to another.
You said about mids and treble. What do you think about bass on these 2 ? I don’t have the WM series, just the Zx707 and bass is one of the highlights here.

Also according to Sony, DSEE (Ultimate, Extreme etc.) is a technology that works best for low resolution sources and files. Why would you turn that on ? (Unless you’re using Spotify which is still MP3). I assume you don’t use MP3 locally either.

1706138263516.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back