HiBy R8 II - HiBy's New High-End DAP
Jan 20, 2024 at 7:50 AM Post #241 of 719
A truly excellent review that makes it clear what to expect from the new and high-performance R8II in terms of sound, usability and design. I could ask you for a quick comparison between the Hiby R8 II and the Shanling H7, although I know that's like comparing apples to pears... but fair enough from a listening quality perspective. Thank you and congratulations again for the really well done review.
Actually, I did compare them for headphone pairing and testing :) But not enough to say with authority what the minute differences were. Just the additional power the H7 has will count for more demanding gear. I would say from memory that the H7 has a bit of a warmer and more relaxed sound.

Jan 20, 2024 at 1:46 PM Post #242 of 719
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 22, 2024 at 8:42 AM Post #243 of 719
Hey guys, our comprehensive review of the brilliant R8 II is now online here. Enjoy!

R8II_04b.jpg

Jan 22, 2024 at 9:14 AM Post #244 of 719
Hey guys, our comprehensive review of the brilliant R8 II is now online here. Enjoy!
I very much enjoyed reading this one in depth and spot on but also this one is icing on the cake as usual superb eye candy those pics are :heart_eyes: ! (much like @Deezel177 gorgeous pics :100: THL rules in that area :p ).

Jan 22, 2024 at 9:21 AM Post #245 of 719
The last review is really well done as are the others by the same author, it really makes you want to buy it and try it. I will wait a bit before buying it also because I am waiting for the Shanling H7 which should be delivered to me in a few days. I just wanted to reassure those who worry about the resistance of Alcantara... don't worry, it is a very resistant material even over the years. I had it on several Italian cars in recent years and never a problem, the only thing that could ruin it is rubbing with jeans, otherwise you can rest assured that it will last much longer than the DAP itself. :wink:

Jan 22, 2024 at 9:37 AM Post #246 of 719
I very much enjoyed reading this one in depth and spot on but also this one is icing on the cake as usual superb eye candy those pics are :heart_eyes: ! (much like @Deezel177 gorgeous pics :100: THL rules in that area :p ).
Thanks David. The photos are my favourite part too 😅

Jan 22, 2024 at 10:14 AM Post #247 of 719
Thanks David. The photos are my favourite part too 😅
Not necessarily THE favorite part, the content is still the heart of it, but definitely part of the whole experience of the review :champagne_glass: (and I am a sucker for great pics)

Jan 22, 2024 at 10:35 AM Post #249 of 719
Spot on review! I hope i can get my hands on one to pit it against my RS8!

Jan 22, 2024 at 10:40 AM Post #251 of 719
Trying to resist reading so I can be a little less unbiased for my review, your photos is as epic as always. And I already know from all your previous reviews this is another top of the line review 👌

Been delays for my R8 II, now it says tomorrow is delivery 🤞

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2024 at 11:14 AM Post #252 of 719
Trying to resist reading so I can be a little less unbiased for my review, you photos is as epic as always. And I already know from all your previous reviews this is another top of the line review 👌

Been delays for my R8 II, now it says tomorrow is delivery 🤞
Yeah I was lucky to be one of the first to get one, so went in completely unbiased. Hang in there for a few more days. :sweat_smile:

Jan 22, 2024 at 11:52 AM Post #253 of 719
I ended up going RS8 - looking forward to it, I feel it will be more complementary to LPGT Ti. And indeed two titanium DAPs 🥰

Jan 22, 2024 at 12:34 PM Post #254 of 719
I ended up going RS8 - looking forward to it, I feel it will be more complementary to LPGT Ti. And indeed two titanium DAPs 🥰
I think you can't board a plane having those two together, might count as weapons!

Jan 23, 2024 at 1:19 AM Post #255 of 719
So I have been spending quite a bit of extra quality time with R8 II and I must say with burn in it gets better around the hundred hours mark, especially bass which I find tighter so much so I can use the Orpheus along with RN6 now and don't feel bass is overpowering like it did originally. Those who feel it's a deal breaker should wait out a bit for burn in :wink: Still I have a feeling burn in is not totally done most of the numerous DAPs I have owned and especially R8 and RS8 have settled around the 200 hours mark so it's not the end of that journey :p

Right now over 100 hours, the bass tightening has brought R8 II more punch, snap and speed and also helps further the overall balance accross the range. The stage has also slightly opened although it's less notable than bass settling. This makes R8 II an even more refined DAP.

I have tried new pairings as well, and I must say I was impressed at IE900 synergy on the R8 II : the bass is so very impressive, but more importantly it brings a bit more fullness to the midrange and a smooth delivery of the upper mids and treble. IE900 is probably much undervalued at its price point but competes with the best of my CIEMs (note that I use silicon ADV Sound custom tips with IE900, this takes it a notch up to me).
Agree! Very impressive with IE900. LO also produces clean signal. Monarch Mk3 has a new life with the R8 II + Aroma A100TB. Even the Mentor sounded better with that combo :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back