HiBy R8 II - HiBy's New High-End DAP
Jan 19, 2024 at 12:31 AM Post #226 of 721
I've been running turbo + A and this is about as warm as I have seen. Pocket warmer for the winter. Not an issue on desk.

Also, pairs fantastic with Oriolus Monachaa. Gives a nice subbass lift and excitement to the music.

img9288.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2024 at 2:11 AM Post #227 of 721
I've been running turbo + A and this is about as warm as I have seen. Pocket warmer for the winter. Not an issue on dek.

Also, pairs fantastic with Oriolus Monachaa. Gives a nice subbass lift and excitement to the music.

img9288.jpg
Shouldn't you be checking the temperature at the back and not the front ? I mean by turning the DAP face down.

Jan 19, 2024 at 9:35 AM Post #228 of 721
Shouldn't you be checking the temperature at the back and not the front ? I mean by turning the DAP face down.
To be honest, I don't know if there is a correct methodology for this. I'm just providing this as a data point.

In this case, R8ii was playing face up before measurement. With the heat rising and the screen being the main exposed surface from the TPU case, I simply measure the top. The back side of R8ii is alcantera and I don't know if that gives any better indication than other steel surfaces.

Bottom line, I have had hotter devices. I think R8ii heat is well managed even under turbo+high gain+A.

Jan 19, 2024 at 9:49 AM Post #229 of 721
Sound-wise, I'm really digging the tonal balance achieved by R8ii. Excellent balance of bass-mids-treble. Upper mids is very slightly withdrawn which avoids sibilance but there is a good amount (but balanced with the rest) of upper treble to give it a sense of space and shimmer. Mids is the star of the show for me with a slight caveat. Vocals come through beautifully. Sweet, analog, and reduced "shhh" for some singers. The downside for me is that acoustic instruments like guitar and violin have a slow rising-edge. The notes don't go from silence to loud as rapidly as I hear them in real life. It's probably a trade-off of getting smooth analog sound vs peaky sharp sound. I'm going to play with the filters etc to see how they change...

Jan 19, 2024 at 11:51 AM Post #231 of 721
Yes in Class AB, one of the fast roll-off filters might provide just the right dose of transient bite you're craving, while retaining that beautiful vocal.
Thanks I was in A all the time. AB with linear phase sharp rolloff sounds best out of R8ii.

Few questions for experts here...
  • Does "Customized Preset" switch show and disappear after you select "Darwin Controller" in settings? Bug or something useful?
  • I tried "0th order hold NOS" filter (or no filter perhaps? :sweat_smile: ) but it doesn't play certain FLAC files, even basic 16/44.1. Any info out there on this?

Jan 19, 2024 at 4:18 PM Post #232 of 721
Thanks I was in A all the time. AB with linear phase sharp rolloff sounds best out of R8ii.

• Does "Customized Preset" switch show and disappear after you select "Darwin Controller" in settings? Bug or something useful?
  • I tried "0th order hold NOS" filter (or no filter perhaps? :sweat_smile: ) but it doesn't play certain FLAC files, even basic 16/44.1. Any info out there on this?
I notice this too. @Joe Bloggs

Jan 19, 2024 at 11:01 PM Post #233 of 721

From my understanding of the RS8 presets, this is a dynamic OTA service for the IEM tuning profiles. If there are presets, it will automatically populate; if there are none, it will automatically go away. Therefore, I presume right now there are none, as it also disappeared for me.

Jan 20, 2024 at 4:13 AM Post #234 of 721
Jan 20, 2024 at 4:53 AM Post #235 of 721
@marcusd Spot on review as usual :100:
Great comparison to RS8, R8 and N7 totally agree there.

I had missed out on the plugins and the port protection film, useful bits as well!

Jan 20, 2024 at 5:54 AM Post #236 of 721
@marcusd Spot on review as usual :100:
Great comparison to RS8, R8 and N7 totally agree there.

I had missed out on the plugins and the port protection film, useful bits as well!

I usually ask my wife to apply the film and any screen protectors onto DAPs, she has steadier hands :D

Jan 20, 2024 at 6:24 AM Post #237 of 721
Great review but actually left me wondering if I should have held on to N7! I’m wondering how different R8 II might be to LPGT Ti from a sound perspective - I’m looking for a warmer / smoother profile DAP to complement LPGT Ti more reference tuning, maybe I need to aim for R2R…

Jan 20, 2024 at 6:35 AM Post #238 of 721
Great review but actually left me wondering if I should have held on to N7! I’m wondering how different R8 II might be to LPGT Ti from a sound perspective - I’m looking for a warmer / smoother profile DAP to complement LPGT Ti more reference tuning, maybe I need to aim for R2R…
Probably the RS8 is a better match for you then.

Jan 20, 2024 at 6:37 AM Post #239 of 721
I received the R8ii yesterday, upgrading from the R6 Pro ii.
I'm very impressed at how much better the Radon 6 sounds on the R8ii. Build quality of the DAP is superb, love the alcantara and stainless steel design. It is a chunky boy, and it leans more on the heavier side. That's fine though since the Battery life is a beast on Class A w/ or w/o Turbo mode.

Only downside I encountered is the touchscreen having trouble registering input touches on the top half of the screen, here's to hoping it is a Firmware issue and not hardware.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2024 at 7:45 AM Post #240 of 721
Hi Folks, our full review of the R8 II (Red version) is now posted with comparisons to the original R8, the RS8, and the N7. :)

https://headfonics.com/hiby-r8-ii-review/

1705741461089.png
A truly excellent review that makes it clear what to expect from the new and high-performance R8II in terms of sound, usability and design. I could ask you for a quick comparison between the Hiby R8 II and the Shanling H7, although I know that's like comparing apples to pears... but fair enough from a listening quality perspective. Thank you and congratulations again for the really well done review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back