HiBy R8 II - HiBy's New High-End DAP
Jan 24, 2024 at 7:20 PM Post #271 of 708
I can confirm that the R8II sounds rather similar to the WM1A Gen 1. Slightly mid-forward, sweet and deft sound. Really black background.
I’m exited to compare! I literally just picked up a flawless 1A with 100 hours on it and have the R8 II on the way. If anyone’s interested, I can share some comparisons with the 1AM2 and 1ZM2.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2024 at 7:25 PM Post #272 of 708
I agree that what one perceives as a reference sound may be slightly different to another.
You said about mids and treble. What do you think about bass on these 2 ? I don’t have the WM series, just the Zx707 and bass is one of the highlights here.

Also according to Sony, DSEE (Ultimate, Extreme etc.) is a technology that works best for low resolution sources and files. Why would you turn that on ? (Unless you’re using Spotify which is still MP3). I assume you don’t use MP3 locally either.

1706138263516.png
This is a pretty popular combo among Sony users. Just because it’s designed for one thing doesn’t mean it won’t benefit another.

Jan 24, 2024 at 7:37 PM Post #273 of 708
I can confirm that the R8II sounds rather similar to the WM1A Gen 1. Slightly mid-forward, sweet and deft sound. Really black background.
I am looking for an upgrade for my 1A, if just very similar but with more power I will be disappointed. Hopefully I will have a chance to demo it.

Jan 24, 2024 at 10:52 PM Post #274 of 708
I am looking for an upgrade for my 1A, if just very similar but with more power I will be disappointed. Hopefully I will have a chance to demo it.

I always advocate trying to demo before buying. In this case the OG WM1A is just an indicative baseline of tuning, for brief comparison. I would say there are key differences when it comes examining in detail what separates the R8II and WM1A.

I find it more tonally saturated and dense, with more solid images, than the OG WM1A's airiness. Headfonia has also already indicated it is technically more proficient.

And more power – especially discrete Class A power – is not to be overlooked. Perhaps any disappointment with the OG WM1A these days is due to it not being able to express its fidelity best into beastly modern flagship IEMs that dip in impedance and sensitivity? Were we to try driving Storm with WM1A before moving to R8II, and the differences will become even more marked. This is when the sequence of demo won't even matter.

That's the future-proof aspect of R8II, being able to translate its advancements into nearly every load you give it. A software that evolves with new firmware code, and hardware that is overbuilt for performance in years to come.

Jan 25, 2024 at 8:37 AM Post #275 of 708
I’m exited to compare! I literally just picked up a flawless 1A with 100 hours on it and have the R8 II on the way. If anyone’s interested, I can share some comparisons with the 1AM2 and 1ZM2.
Yes please do as I have 1AM2 and am thinking about the R8ii for my mentor after reading some favorable reviews about the pairing.

Jan 25, 2024 at 10:47 AM Post #276 of 708
I'm going to give the R8 II a second chance.
They let me try an R8 II demo... and as I said in this thread, I found it too bassy in combination with my iems.
My feelings don't fit with the different reviews you are doing...
Tomorrow I will receive a new unit purchased to start from 0 and finish seeing if you are right, and I was wrong... because the player, technically, battery and sensations in the hand, I really liked it.

RN6,TRIFECTA,MMK3,Z1R,QUATTRO,PRESTIGE LTD,ADVAR,IE600,XELENTO,FH7..Are waiting..-

i ll inform here about my testings…

Best Regards

Sisco

Jan 26, 2024 at 4:20 AM Post #277 of 708
I think R8 II definitely needs some burn in, I am around 200 hours and I am not sure it totally settled yet.

This being said I'd say R8 II has more midbass and lower mids presence than Cayin DAPs for sure, I definitely prefer more balanced IEMs with R8 II and my warmer / thicker ones have less synergy but it has gotten better with burn in. There is also brain burn in to factor in, if I switch to R8 II right after N30 then I probably need a few hours to settle my brain back after a rather clarity oriented sound (less mid bass, lower mids and more energetic mids). If you come from WM1ZM2 or Shanling M8/M9+ you'll be less shocked. Also, beware of cable synergy as well... Orpheus doesn't get much airtime with R8 II it's too much of the same emphasis in a way.

Jan 26, 2024 at 8:42 AM Post #278 of 708
Arrived the RED one....I ll taste ...Bassy,No Bassy??

IMG_1537.jpgIMG_1539.jpgIMG_1540.jpgIMG_1542.jpgIMG_1543.jpgIMG_1545.jpgIMG_1547.jpgIMG_1549.jpgIMG_1550.jpgIMG_1552.jpgIMG_1553.jpgIMG_1554.jpgIMG_1555.jpg

Best regards

Sisco

Jan 26, 2024 at 1:48 PM Post #281 of 708
I can't find any reason to understand the big difference between the sensations I had last week, with an R8 II demo that they left me with little use... all my iems sounded too bassy... I mentioned it in this same thread.
today, everything is correct, coherent and with a great sound... I don't understand anything at all...

Better, because this time, I have taken the risk of buying it...

It could be that I myself was detecting different sensations, I don't know... but the difference is big... I have even mentioned it to my store…

Maybe..Witchcraft
well, I'm happy...that's the important thing

Best regards

Sisco

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2024 at 4:38 PM Post #283 of 708
I can't find any reason to understand the big difference between the sensations I had last week, with an R8 II demo that they left me with little use... all my iems sounded too bassy... I mentioned it in this same thread.
today, everything is correct, coherent and with a great sound... I don't understand anything at all...

Better, because this time, I have taken the risk of buying it...

It could be that I myself was detecting different sensations, I don't know... but the difference is big... I have even mentioned it to my store…

Maybe..Witchcraft
well, I'm happy...that's the important thing

Best regards

Sisco
Could it be that demo unit you tried out had MSEB or other Filters enabled?

I know that sometimes with the RS6 I'll forget that I'd tweaked something to suit Andro2020 for example, and then a few days later I go to listen to Anni and it sounds 'off' until I realise my error...

Jan 26, 2024 at 5:35 PM Post #284 of 708
Could it be that demo unit you tried out had MSEB or other Filters enabled?

I know that sometimes with the RS6 I'll forget that I'd tweaked something to suit Andro2020 for example, and then a few days later I go to listen to Anni and it sounds 'off' until I realise my error...
I don t know…
But the red one sounds perfect

Best Regards

Sisco

Jan 26, 2024 at 8:23 PM Post #285 of 708

Users who are viewing this thread

Back