HiBy R8 II - HiBy's New High-End DAP
Jan 26, 2024 at 9:48 PM Post #286 of 708
Yes please do as I have 1AM2 and am thinking about the R8ii for my mentor after reading some favorable reviews about the pairing.
Anyone have a mentor and the R8ii? Still curious about this pairing.

Jan 27, 2024 at 11:09 AM Post #288 of 708
Anyone have a mentor and the R8ii? Still curious about this pairing.
More dynamic in my setup (cable, tips), compared to DX320Amp14, DX320Max, R6II, 1ZM2. Slightly brighter, but in a good way that seemed to enhance MM's already big soundstage. Elevated bass (that some may not like) with good control of BA drivers which didn't bleed into the Mids. Not as balanced as DX320Max but a fun, can-listen-for-long-time pairing IMHO.

Jan 27, 2024 at 11:30 AM Post #289 of 708
More dynamic in my setup (cable, tips), compared to DX320Amp14, DX320Max, R6II, 1ZM2. Slightly brighter, but in a good way that seemed to enhance MM's already big soundstage. Elevated bass (that some may not like) with good control of BA drivers which didn't bleed into the Mids. Not as balanced as DX320Max but a fun, can-listen-for-long-time pairing IMHO.
I like the “brighter” sentiment bc I usually eq a little with my Sony dap. I feel like they need a touch more sparkle and this dap may give it to me. Plus with MSEB u can always add to it

Jan 27, 2024 at 11:40 AM Post #290 of 708
I like the “brighter” sentiment bc I usually eq a little with my Sony dap. I feel like they need a touch more sparkle and this dap may give it to me. Plus with MSEB u can always add to it
IMO Sony DAPs are addictive with certain monitors. So far, with 50+ hrs, R8 II seems to be an all-around player. Matched particularly well with IE900 and RN6. Tsuranagi brought out the best of MM, and perhaps L&P, but that's another price category :triportsad:

Jan 27, 2024 at 12:18 PM Post #291 of 708
IMO Sony DAPs are addictive with certain monitors. So far, with 50+ hrs, R8 II seems to be an all-around player. Matched particularly well with IE900 and RN6. Tsuranagi brought out the best of MM, and perhaps L&P, but that's another price category :triportsad:
How is it without the amp and the mentor?

Jan 29, 2024 at 3:49 PM Post #293 of 708
R8II is definitely still evolving at 200+ hours burn in... I like what I am hearing, overall I find bass settles a bit although it's not as tight and nimble as N30 for sure it's fatter with more mid bass presence. Also overall more relaxed.

Definitely +1 on IE900 on R8II, this really brings some welcome flesh to the IE900

Also a good pairing with RN6, but I prefer N30 as far as I am concerned this brings RN6 to a whole other level... the tighter bass to me is a better fit.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2024 at 9:54 PM Post #294 of 708
Well, after emailing Andrew from Musicteck about the pairing with the mentor and some other head fier’s on the forums I ordered a blue one. Time for some fun! Hopefully I’ll have it Wednesday and post some impressions.

Jan 30, 2024 at 4:44 PM Post #295 of 708
Is anyone able to compare R8ii with the SP3000?

Jan 31, 2024 at 2:59 AM Post #296 of 708
Jan 31, 2024 at 3:50 AM Post #297 of 708
For those who own Vision Ears Elysium, R8 II is a fantastic pairing as it brings "flesh" to the Ely and the amplification is up to the task in fact I run them mid gain turbo mode On around 45/55 volume and the dynamic range is excellent. As Ely owners know, those babies come alive with juice and it's definitely the case here! I think @Deezel177 mentioned the Ely pairing earlier but it sure pairs superbly ❤️‍🔥

Ely is a good indication on the nature of the DAP and I must say most of my initial pairings were with bassier IEMs which pairs less ideally IMHO with R8 II (for those, N30 is my pairing of choice, but N7 would have worked as well). With the Ely I do get elite performance from R8 II in terms of resolution, dynamics and the presentation is pretty balanced with a nice bump down low that make Ely sound just right bass wise, same with the mythical Ely midrange that gains from the additional flesh with an even more satisfying experience with great note weight. R8 II also works wonder in terms of upper midrange energy being just spot on. Up top, the Ely's resolution doesn't feel constrained and even its older 2EST setup is up to par with the best.

Also, I noticed that even more sensitive IEMs benefit from higher gain, I actually run my IEMs on mid gain with R8 II and it opens up the stage with a more balanced presentation even with bassier IEMs. I always noticed that upping gain bring a bit more forward presentation and this for me is spot on with R8 II. Not sure if it has to do with current requirement for the many lower impedance IEMs and/or hybrid I own but the result is here...

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2024 at 6:10 PM Post #298 of 708
Should be getting my own unit on Friday.
@Joe Bloggs any updates on the Roon Ready certification progress?

Jan 31, 2024 at 9:23 PM Post #299 of 708
Has anyone had an issue where I plug this in and go to drag 2 folders from windows explorer and then it crashes windows explorer and it doesn't transfer? I can't figure this out. I see my SD card showing up within the Hiby player just like all my other players.

Jan 31, 2024 at 9:30 PM Post #300 of 708
It seems to be the usb c to usb c connection. I took a usb c to usb a and now its fine. Weird becuase I really like the cable it came with but it doesnt seem to work with my computer as it crashed windows explorer every time.. It has be a usb c setting on my computer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back