HD800 and Stax Lambda Pro etc comparison?
Apr 11, 2010 at 7:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

jaycalgary

500+ Head-Fier
Has anybody compared the sound quality of the two or with a comparable Stax?
My k702 have not been getting much head time since acquiring the Stax. I like the Stax presentation better vocals are more forward and the music seems to be clearer and come off more effortlessly. I thought the Stax had more bass but the K702 did seem to have more authority with the PH100. I mostly always hear that the HD800 is so great and how the K702 seems to be the reference to the HD800 greatness. From what I have read the k1000 destroys the HD800 in everything but deep bass but what about Stax? I have the Lambda with SM1 MK2 "C series" and does a system like this give the HD800 a run for its money?

Apr 11, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #2 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaycalgary /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anybody compared the sound quality of the two or with a comparable Stax?

I own the HD 800, the Lambda Nova, a Lambda Pro derivative with angled drivers in homemade plywood housings and a similar design around the Lambda Signature Pro drivers (see signature). The Nova gets next to zero head-time, the two other electrostats about 5% and the HD 800 about 95%. That speaks a clear language, at least about my personal preference. Among my headphones the HD 800 is the most lifelike and honest, although the electrostats' angled drivers provide a similarly impressive soundstage. But like most/all electrostats I've heard they can't achieve the accuracy, impulse control (speak drum beats) and imaging quality of the best dynamics, the HD 800 in particular. As good as my impression of the K 1000 was (apart from the terrible wearing comfort), I don't think it's as good as the HD 800 in the sum of the qualities – even its implementation of soundstage wasn't entirely convincing to me (but that may be a personal issue), not to speak of its bass extension (whereas bass quality was excellent). Certainly it's an interesting headphone... I meant pair of earspeakers... for those who can appreciate its specific sonic signature.

Apr 11, 2010 at 8:37 PM Post #3 of 54
Thank I also found some comparisons in other threads. I just am skeptical of the Sennheiser fan boy-ism. The golden rule around here seems to be never say another headphone does anything better than the current flagship Sennheiser.

Apr 11, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #4 of 54
You know headphone is the most subjective hobby in the world. No one would say a Ferrari looks ugly or its performance is poor, just not as beautiful as a Lamborghini and not as powerful.

For headphone you may find yourself love a $60 SR60 than any other flagship. You may think it's the best looking headphone too.

There are who can die for their HD800 and there also are people never go dynamic once going Stax. There are only few old balls Stax lovers on this site but Stax won the Heal/Hurt game you know lol

If money is an issue, play the buy and resell game and choose the better one for you. If money is not really an issue, buy both and decide which one is to let go. If money is not an issue, AT ALL, buy both
biggrin.gif

This is an interesting thread. I'm looking forward to hear more opinions
beerchug.gif

Apr 11, 2010 at 9:03 PM Post #5 of 54
The K-1000 sounds different then both of them, bigger sound stage, and the sound is more natural and life like (like a live event, or concert). The K702 and the 800 sounds more dry compare to the K-1000. Both AKG's have a different mids compare to the 800. The 800 have more sub bass, but also more highs compare to the 702's. Now, the K702 and the 800 have more highs and bass compare to the K-1000. So what you'll choose?

Apr 11, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #6 of 54
Quote:

Thank I also found some comparisons in other threads. I just am skeptical of the Sennheiser fan boy-ism. The golden rule around here seems to be never say another headphone does anything better than the current flagship Sennheiser.

Do you want to offend me? I'm not a fanboy!
mad.gif

Apr 11, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #7 of 54
Quote:

I'll assume you are serious and not just trolling.
wink.gif

Well, jaycalgary, you must not be looking to hard! It seems to me that, while there are certainly HD-800 fan-boys, the HD-800 gets PLENTY of crticism here, in fact I think out of proportion to what they deserve!

In fact, you yourself said earlier:

"From what I have read the k1000 destroys the HD800 in everything but deep bass"

That hardly sounds like "never say another headphone does anything better than the current flagship Sennheiser" to me.

Just for the record, the K-1000 (I have both K-1000 and HD-800) doesn't destroy the HD-800 at all. The K-1000 are excellent and, on the right material, sound wonderful. But in my view, the HD-800 is more consistant and overall better sounding by a whisker. But when the K-1000 is on, it's on, that's why I keep them.

I do not have Stax Lambdas, but do have Stax Sigma Pro and SRX Mk3 and think that, while the Stax I have definatly have their strengths, I prefer the K-1000 and HD-800 (but I would love to hear the O2 and 404LE, they may have something to say about the comparison, the O2 may be better than ALL of them).

The HD-800 are very good phones, not my absolute favorite, but in the top 10 IMHO. But I certainly don't think they are beyond criticism and expressed that in a review I wrote a while ago, so sorry, no fan-boy here...

Kevin

Apr 11, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #9 of 54
You will get varying opinions because headphones are so subjective. They are both excellent cans. The 800s are some of the best dynamics I've listened to(have not heard the T1s). With that said, I preferred the lambda pros I use to have. I also prefer the lambda signatures I currently have and the HE-5s I also have. The 800s and lambdas do have different presentations so I could easily see why one person would prefer one over the other. I couldn't imagine anyone being disappointed with either. I can't wait to get a chance to listen to the T1s. From everything I've read, they might convince me to get rid of one of my other headphones in favor of them. Time will tell.

Apr 11, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #10 of 54
I have Lambda Nova Signatures. I wrote up some of my thoughts about them and the HD-800s in a recent review of another pair of headphones you might find interesting.

Apr 12, 2010 at 12:29 AM Post #11 of 54
High end headphone choices are very subjective. You have to decide what appeals to you. Polling of head-fi folks will only get you so far, especially when alot of poll participants haven't heard all or even any of the choices.

I've owned a K1000 for about 3 years, a 007mk1 for a couple years and an HD800 for about 8 months. Like em all, but not to an equal degree. HD800 gets more than 80% of my listening time, O2 about 15% and the poor K1000 about 5%. My O2 probably is handicapped by amp. I currently have a 007t and an Exstata tube, neither of which is optimum for O2's, so the O2 may be under loved.

My opinions change occasionally, but my current popularity vote is about along the same percentages as my listening time. I guess that makes me an 80% Senn fanboi
ph34r.gif
. When I get a worthy amp for the O2 (very soon I hope), that may be a game changer for me. Hope so
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 12, 2010 at 1:46 AM Post #12 of 54
I agree with several posters here -- you're gonna to have to try 'em, either via audition or buying and selling. I've owned several Lambdas and spent time with 02s (current version) and now own (anagram) HD800s. I really enjoyed the Stax sound, particularly the 404LEs with their slightly warmer cast, but for various reasons the HD800s suit me better. If you love the Stax presentation, as many do, you'll want a pair handy. If you crave the sound of a top-shelf dynamic, then you'll need one of those too. No amount of polling or review reading can sub for actual head-time, and the higher-end you go the more that seems to be true, since the rarest phones tend also to be thoroughbreds, with distinctive virtues and flaws. Go forth, and listen.

best,

o

Apr 12, 2010 at 3:25 AM Post #13 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by SillyHoney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is your most favorite one, k3oxkjo?

My current all-time favorite I don't own, that's the Sony R-10.
frown.gif

I have heard the Sennheiser Orpheus, I think it's also better than HD-800. In some moods, I think the Sony CD-3000 is neck-and-neck with the HD-800 and wouldn't be surprized if the baby Orpheus, the O2 and the Qualia are better than the HD-800 too, though I haven't heard them enough to really know.

I should have a pair of Lambda Pros soon, so I will check that out, too. So I don't think the HD-800 is invinceable, but I think they are darn good and I am happy to have them.

Kevin

Apr 12, 2010 at 3:28 AM Post #14 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by orkney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with several posters here -- you're gonna to have to try 'em, either via audition or buying and selling. I've owned several Lambdas and spent time with 02s (current version) and now own (anagram) HD800s. I really enjoyed the Stax sound, particularly the 404LEs with their slightly warmer cast, but for various reasons the HD800s suit me better. If you love the Stax presentation, as many do, you'll want a pair handy. If you crave the sound of a top-shelf dynamic, then you'll need one of those too. No amount of polling or review reading can sub for actual head-time, and the higher-end you go the more that seems to be true, since the rarest phones tend also to be thoroughbreds, with distinctive virtues and flaws. Go forth, and listen.

best,

o

Very well said.
beerchug.gif

Apr 12, 2010 at 3:41 AM Post #15 of 54
I have found all the comments interesting. I wouldn't take how much more head time people are saying the HD800 as a measurement of how much better it is. Its just the newest and the investment for the HD800 and amp would have been significantly higher. Its nice to see that they are not bold enough to say that the HD800 is in a different league than the Stax just more of a different sound. The 404LEs are hard to find from what I have seen and the only thing different is the cable. I wonder if it would be worth contacting Stax to try and buy a LE replacement cable? Probably unavailable but would be interesting to see how it would sound with Lambda pro or signature. From all I have read the older Stax is as good or even better than the new Stax. I think I may be getting Lambda signature soon the late 80s early 90s version. I bet the HD800 won't be holding up that long especially the spray painted plastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back