HD800 and Stax Lambda Pro etc comparison?
Apr 12, 2010 at 4:05 AM Post #16 of 54
Old Stax's better than new ones is hard to swallow since my poorest, modest and newest Stax are already sooooo ****ing goooood for me. I can't believe music can be better than that out of my current rig
tongue.gif

Stax all the way!!!

Apr 12, 2010 at 4:17 AM Post #17 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaycalgary /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have found all the comments interesting. I wouldn't take how much more head time people are saying the HD800 as a measurement of how much better it is. Its just the newest and the investment for the HD800 and amp would have been significantly higher.

Unsupported suppositions. I could say that your Stax are just your newest purchase that you psychologically need to defend by bashing a consensus top-tier phone that (presumedly) you haven't heard and certainly haven't lived with in a comparison. But I won't.

Quote:

Its nice to see that they are not bold enough to say that the HD800 is in a different league than the Stax just more of a different sound. The 404LEs are hard to find from what I have seen and the only thing different is the cable. I wonder if it would be worth contacting Stax to try and buy a LE replacement cable? Probably unavailable but would be interesting to see how it would sound with Lambda pro or signature. From all I have read the older Stax is as good or even better than the new Stax. I think I may be getting Lambda signature soon the late 80s early 90s version.

Can't wait to hear your impartial impressions.

Quote:

I bet the HD800 won't be holding up that long especially the spray painted plastic.

You realize, of course, that the Stax are made of plastic? Oh well, anyway, thanks for playing our game...

Kevin

Apr 12, 2010 at 5:10 AM Post #18 of 54
I would definitely take a Lambda or Lambda Signature over the HD800, but I haven't heard the Lambda Pro. It and the 303/404 are by far the most criticized Lambdas from what I've seen over the years.

Apr 12, 2010 at 5:15 AM Post #19 of 54
Good one k3oxkjo but don't you think it should be about the headphones not head games? Its people like you that make me resent the HD800 even more than its excessive price. You are being like the other social engineers on here. You forgot to figure out what the Stax's best quality's and start by saying how the HD800 out preforms the Stax in these areas.
"I could say that your Stax are just your newest purchase that you psychologically need to defend by bashing a consensus top-tier phone"
Congrats you figures out what I was saying and used the exact same thing against me but if you were not so hyper defensive you should understand I was not bashing your precious.
The point about the plastic is that it is spray painted. I would be concerned that under the spray paint it a different color plastic that over time the paint wears out and $1500 headphones look like $50 headphones. Could you please use your head and try and figure out what people are trying to say so it doesn't have to be so complicated to make a small point? Maybe read a couple times or a little slower.

Apr 12, 2010 at 6:03 AM Post #20 of 54
Quote:

Good one k3oxkjo but don't you think it should be about the headphones not head games? Its people like you that make me resent the HD800 even more than its excessive price.

Why would you resent an inanimate object? Considering that you don't have to buy them, why would you resent their price? And how do you know that I am people like me?
normal_smile .gif

Quote:

You are being like the other social engineers on here. You forgot to figure out what the Stax's best quality's and start by saying how the HD800 out preforms the Stax in these areas.

I only do Audio Engineering. And I pointed this out earlier in the thread:

"I do not have Stax Lambdas, but do have Stax Sigma Pro and SRX Mk3 and think that, while the Stax I have definatly have their strengths, I prefer the K-1000 and HD-800 (but I would love to hear the O2 and 404LE, they may have something to say about the comparison, the O2 may be better than ALL of them)."

So I said nothing about Lambdas because I haven't heard them and I think it is good form to hear something before commenting definatively. I have a pair of Stax Lambda Pro's on the way, so we shall see.

BTW, Stax is one of my favorite companies (they made other home stereo equipment over the years including a big electrostatic speaker that I happen to own and like a lot, the ELS-8X). In another thread, I sited Stax as one of the most interesting headphone manufacturers and did not mention Sennheiser at all! So in no way would I denigrate Stax. And I am not uncritical of Sennheiser, FWIW.

Quote:

"I could say that your Stax are just your newest purchase that you psychologically need to defend by bashing a consensus top-tier phone"
Congrats you figures out what I was saying and used the exact same thing against me but if you were not so hyper defensive you should understand I was not bashing your precious.

I wasn't being defensive or hyper, I was being literal. My point was that I don't know you well enough to know if the quoted statement above would apply to you, so I wouldn't make that claim. And obliquely saying that you don't know HD-800 owners well enough to make your original statement concerning HD-800 owners. Thus it's an unsupported supposition.

Quote:

The point about the plastic is that it is spray painted. I would be concerned that under the spray paint it a different color plastic that over time the paint wears out and $1500 headphones look like $50 headphones. Could you please use your head and try and figure out what people are trying to say so it doesn't have to be so complicated to make a small point? Maybe read a couple times or a little slower.

I assure you that I read quite well. I just don't happen to share your concern.

No one has reported what you conject happening yet, but it could someday I don't doubt. It could wear, just like many of the other older phones I have that don't look like new any more, including the SRX Mk3 or original Sigma I have. In truth, I had to rebuild the Sigma's headband that snapped, which was a more problematic thing than a little scratched paint, I assure you.

I suspect, if and when the time comes, I could touch up the HD-800's paint if it was an issue to me. So I sweat not about it.

BTW, enjoy your Stax. They are a fine headphone.

Peace and Love, Kevin

Apr 12, 2010 at 7:57 AM Post #21 of 54
Hope I can share some information on this subject..

I currently have the SR-404LE, 404Sig, Sr-Lambda Pro, on loan. The amplifier is a Headamp KGSS.

The SR-404LE is a very fine rig, and I have to agree that it's the best Lambda headphone so far, but it does have its limitations. Timbre, ambience, layering, decay, detail, imaging, and bass are all better on the HD800.

I find myself agreeing to a lot of the things HPA said on this post:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/6106100-post5.html

Apr 12, 2010 at 8:10 AM Post #22 of 54
Quote:

I wonder if it would be worth contacting Stax to try and buy a LE replacement cable? Probably unavailable but would be interesting to see how it would sound with Lambda pro or signature.

The sound of the 404LE is quite improved from the 404Sig, and the midrange is quite fuller than the Lambda Pro.

The changes of the 404LE may be much more than just the cable, although that seems to be the only thing Stax is mentioning (other than the lambskin pads).

Apr 12, 2010 at 8:14 AM Post #23 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by k3oxkjo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll assume you are serious and not just trolling.
wink.gif

Well, jaycalgary, you must not be looking to hard! It seems to me that, while there are certainly HD-800 fan-boys, the HD-800 gets PLENTY of crticism here, in fact I think out of proportion to what they deserve!

In fact, you yourself said earlier:

"From what I have read the k1000 destroys the HD800 in everything but deep bass"

That hardly sounds like "never say another headphone does anything better than the current flagship Sennheiser" to me.

Just for the record, the K-1000 (I have both K-1000 and HD-800) doesn't destroy the HD-800 at all. The K-1000 are excellent and, on the right material, sound wonderful. But in my view, the HD-800 is more consistant and overall better sounding by a whisker. But when the K-1000 is on, it's on, that's why I keep them.

I do not have Stax Lambdas, but do have Stax Sigma Pro and SRX Mk3 and think that, while the Stax I have definatly have their strengths, I prefer the K-1000 and HD-800 (but I would love to hear the O2 and 404LE, they may have something to say about the comparison, the O2 may be better than ALL of them).

The HD-800 are very good phones, not my absolute favorite, but in the top 10 IMHO. But I certainly don't think they are beyond criticism and expressed that in a review I wrote a while ago, so sorry, no fan-boy here...

Kevin

Would love to hear more about K1000 vs HD800. (Maybe write up a separate review thread?)

Apr 12, 2010 at 2:44 PM Post #24 of 54
Quote:

I have found all the comments interesting. I wouldn't take how much more head time people are saying the HD800 as a measurement of how much better it is. Its just the newest and the investment for the HD800 and amp would have been significantly higher. Its nice to see that they are not bold enough to say that the HD800 is in a different league than the Stax just more of a different sound. The 404LEs are hard to find from what I have seen and the only thing different is the cable. I wonder if it would be worth contacting Stax to try and buy a LE replacement cable? Probably unavailable but would be interesting to see how it would sound with Lambda pro or signature. From all I have read the older Stax is as good or even better than the new Stax. I think I may be getting Lambda signature soon the late 80s early 90s version. I bet the HD800 won't be holding up that long especially the spray painted plastic.

1. In my case, the Stax system actually represented a substantially greater investment than did the HD800s-plus-amp. I still preferred the HD800; someone else might have gone for the Stax. I expect that with the 02 in play there might be even stronger preferences for and against.

2. Not just a different sound -- I think the HD800s do some things flat-out better than do the 404/404LEs. I'd predict that other high-end phones outdo the Senns in some areas, period. That's the nature of the high end.

3. The 404LEs have a different cable and earpads and, some long-time Stax users have suggested, some changes to the drivers themselves. So turning a 404 into a 404LE isn't as simple as a cable swap.

4. The Stax are also plastic, are also very well built, and have shown themselves to hold up for decades. I expect the HD800s to do the same.

5. Stax and Sennheiser each make excellent phones. The HD800s may not be your sonic cup of tea but they are beautifully built and technically superb headphones -- and those are not expressions of preference but propositions, facts of the matter. And the other, supervening fact of the matter, is that the OP needs to listen to the phones he wants to listen to, and not to us.

best,

o

Apr 12, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #25 of 54
Quote:

Good one k3oxkjo but don't you think it should be about the headphones not head games? Its people like you that make me resent the HD800 even more than its excessive price. You are being like the other social engineers on here. You forgot to figure out what the Stax's best quality's and start by saying how the HD800 out preforms the Stax in these areas.

Please stop feeding this arrogant troll people. It is clear from his first two posts that he had an agenda for creating this thread.

Apr 12, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #26 of 54
These HD800 threads don't even have a dance anymore. Everyone just drops gloves right on the face off
popcorn.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by orkney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. In my case, the Stax system actually represented a substantially greater investment than did the HD800s-plus-amp

This is a very good point with the Lambda. For the price with amp, you can get detail and speed that wouldn't even be approachable by headphone/amp combos outside of Stax/Koss. Also, the Lambda despite its flaws has a very nice signature which I prefer to the 02.

The real question is how much do you want to spend, because the Lambdas are not the best thing out there. It will just cost a LOT to get to the next level

Apr 12, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #27 of 54
for me, HD800 is like left lane of highway where lambda (or stats in general) is right lane of highway. Both gets you there. I prefer the right lane though.

I'm fan of stats and miketing are fan of his hd800/dynamic rig. but i respect his choice and he respect mine. its also have got to do with music taste. he likes to listen to classical on his hd800 which i believe is one of hd800 forte vs stats. for me, i can't stand classical for even 10 minutes. so regardless how nice his rig is, i cannot appreciate it.

Apr 12, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #28 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is clear from his first two posts that he had an agenda for creating this thread.

It's only in hindsight that I realized that.

Apr 12, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #30 of 54
Sutble

"Please stop feeding this arrogant troll
people. It is clear from his first two posts that he had an agenda for creating this thread."

If you don't anything productive or relevant to the conversation to say then just dont say anything. You are a slanderer and a lair and you should be ashamed of yourself!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back