GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone Amplifier
Apr 8, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #1,082 of 5,552
  I'd like to purchase GUSTARD H10. Are there sellers in the U.S. (I'm located in the US)?  I'd appreciate much if any one may recommend good and reliable sellers.

I don't know of any retailers in the US. Seems like pollychen on eBay is who most of us have used. I think most, if not all, have reported a generally positive experience with him, the Chinese New Year notwithstanding. Shipping is typically quick, too.

Apr 8, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #1,083 of 5,552
  I'd like to purchase GUSTARD H10. Are there sellers in the U.S. (I'm located in the US)?  I'd appreciate much if any one may recommend good and reliable sellers.

Do you not count SHENZHENAUDIO on Amazon.com among the "good and reliable sellers"?  That seems to be the most readily obvious choice, besides which there are e-bay sellers too.

Apr 8, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #1,084 of 5,552
Hopefully my quoting will turn out all right
etysmile.gif

Anyway, I am a little sceptical about very close similarities between Modi 2 Uber and Bifrost 2 Uber.

Granted, what I have is original Modi and Bifrost, not new uber, but there is a significant difference between my Modi and Bifrost. Yes, tonality is about the same, but Bifrost is not just louder (it IS louder), but to my uneducated ears (glued to HD650 and wired to H10), Bifrost is not just 'cleaner overall' but has significantly better frontal attack on piano notes, bells, and guitar plucking, where Modi squashes that front of the notes and makes it more like the rest of note; another huge difference (for me) is in low bass/cello notes, where Modi delivers nice indistinct smooth low sound, and Bifrost actually delivers quite a bit of a texture (I think it can be still be improved, but difference is quite large).

And just to be devil's advocate, when I listened to music that featured primarily violins (no lows, no explosive frontal attack), Bifrost DID sound quite a bit like Modi to my ears, just a little cleaner.
Just my 2c
beerchug.gif

Quote:
...if you want to go thr Schiit route, the Modi 2 Uber is a lot like thr BifrostUber for a fraction of the price.

Apr 8, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #1,086 of 5,552
After 5 days with H10 verdict is - I like it a lot.

It is very detailed. I am hearing new things in familiar songs. Yes, when I go back to those moments on other amps, I can hear them, but only when I am looking for them, and with H10 it is more like two-by-four striking you - hard to ignore.

Tonality is fairly neutral, on a slightly warm side. Treble is gentle to my ears without being rolled off.

Only bad thing I can say about H10 is that volume knob... It actually slightly 'freezes' on me, and when I start to turn it, it does not want to go, and then it releases with the 'twain' sound/feeling, and rest of adjustment is OK. I suspect my unit may have something misaligned, and hope that other units are better than that. Probably will open it up at some point and try to fiddle with it.

Still, the sound it provides is really nice, and it seems to be true to the source (fairly transparent). Thumbs-up from me!

As for burn-in, it is extreme indeed, but after about 3 days (70 hours) I stopped noticing changes, and now it seems to be much more stable.

Apr 8, 2015 at 10:59 PM Post #1,087 of 5,552
After 5 days with H10 verdict is - I like it a lot.

It is very detailed. I am hearing new things in familiar songs. Yes, when I go back to those moments on other amps, I can hear them, but only when I am looking for them, and with H10 it is more like two-by-four striking you - hard to ignore.

Tonality is fairly neutral, on a slightly warm side. Treble is gentle to my ears without being rolled off.

Only bad thing I can say about H10 is that volume knob... It actually slightly 'freezes' on me, and when I start to turn it, it does not want to go, and then it releases with the 'twain' sound/feeling, and rest of adjustment is OK. I suspect my unit may have something misaligned, and hope that other units are better than that. Probably will open it up at some point and try to fiddle with it.

Still, the sound it provides is really nice, and it seems to be true to the source (fairly transparent). Thumbs-up from me!

As for burn-in, it is extreme indeed, but after about 3 days (70 hours) I stopped noticing changes, and now it seems to be much more stable.

I will reply to your excellent point about Bifrost later and only have a small amount of time to respond to this message.

I think something is wrong with your unit. My volume pot is as smooth as is my Lyr, betraying no signs of resistance whatsoever.

Apr 9, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #1,088 of 5,552
Wow, tough group to break into. 
blink.gif
  Let me rephrase about the dip switches...
did anyone get a users manual with their amp that talks about more than one
dip switch being thrown at a time?    Are they cumulative in nature?
regards,
Hibuck....

Apr 9, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #1,089 of 5,552
Same as Lyr, huh? I had a pleasure to try Lyr at a head-fi meet a month ago, and its volume control was very nice and smooth (and so was its sound - totally impressed me, especially with planars!). My H10 knob is anything but smooth. Confirms my theory about QC issue. Thank you for info, Liu!

Apr 9, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #1,090 of 5,552
  Wow, tough group to break into. 
blink.gif
  Let me rephrase about the dip switches...
regards,
Hibuck....

No, no manual and was not able to locate one either. If you find one, let us know :)
Have not tried multiple dip switches at once, I actually just leave them now in 'neutral' state, with all of them down.

Apr 9, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #1,091 of 5,552
Wow, tough group to break into.  :blink:   Let me rephrase about the dip switches...
regards,
Hibuck....

There is no manual as far as I am aware. Since this is close in appearance to the back of Violectric V200, I wonder if that manual might help? Otherwise, I unfortunately do not know the answer to that question, other than the fact that each dip switch controls a channel. So one ear would be louder than the other.

Apr 9, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #1,092 of 5,552
Same as Lyr, huh? I had a pleasure to try Lyr at a head-fi meet a month ago, and its volume control was very nice and smooth (and so was its sound - totally impressed me, especially with planars!). My H10 knob is anything but smooth. Confirms my theory about QC issue. Thank you for info, Liu!

That sucks. I wonder if you can fix it without too much struggle. Maybe something is jammed in the pot. It could be QC or an issue with shipping.

Apr 9, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #1,093 of 5,552
Thanks for the response.  Actually, I was wondering about two switches thrown on each side.
I'm currently running +6 mostly because there is no "0"  dip switch...although as I think about it,
it may well be that all down=0.

In any case, the burn-in is coming along well.   Listened to some Wynton Maralis and Willie Nelson
"Two men with the blues" this morning after 24 hours of burn in and on my HE500's it sounds wonderful.
regards,
Hibuck....

Apr 9, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #1,094 of 5,552

As a follow-up, you can contact Massdrop too. They may be able to replace the unit, but I know they are supposed to back up their products.

Apr 9, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #1,095 of 5,552
  Thanks for the response.  Actually, I was wondering about two switches thrown on each side.
I'm currently running +6 mostly because there is no "0"  dip switch...although as I think about it,
it may well be that all down=0.

In any case, the burn-in is coming along well.   Listened to some Wynton Maralis and Willie Nelson
"Two men with the blues" this morning after 24 hours of burn in and on my HE500's it sounds wonderful.
regards,
Hibuck....

Yeah, all the switches down is zero gain. As has been said before, the balanced gain should be up only if you're using XLR cables.

Does anyone know if bad things happen if you switch the gains while the unit is powered on?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back