GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone Amplifier
Apr 14, 2024 at 12:47 PM Post #5,551 of 5,552
My H10 has the stock op amps and it runs cool to the touch. For class A bias solid state amplifiers that are
designed to run hot, if you use a cooling fan on them, the amp will just work harder to operate
at the temperature that it was designed to run at.
I meant that just place a big old cpu cooler on top of the amp, it helps to dissipate the heat, so the amp won't overheat.

Apr 14, 2024 at 1:07 PM Post #5,552 of 5,552
I meant that just place a big old cpu cooler on top of the amp, it helps to dissipate the heat, so the amp won't overheat.

I understand that. But, unlike a tube amplifier, which fans can actually cool down a bit, the class A solid state
amplifiers will just work harder to operate at the temperature they are designed to work at. I learned this
when using my old Classe Audio DR3 VHC power amplifier from the late 1980's. It was designed to run
very hot and as such could quickly heat up a room. This was especially true for those who used a pair
of these amplifiers for monoblocks (to power the Apogee Scintilla).

Trying to cool these "sonic steam rollers" off by running a fan next to them only forced them to
work harder to stay at the temperature they were designed to operate at. I find that the stock
op amps for the H10 allow the amplifier to run cool. However there are some after market
op amps that do force it to run hot. There are posts earlier on in this thread which discuss
running the H10 with certain op amps from Burson Audio which resulted in the op
amps overheating and damaging the amplifier.

Probably a good idea to read through these posts. Best of luck! 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back