GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone Amplifier
Apr 7, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #1,066 of 5,552
I had a bifrost uber a while back and unfortunately it was before I had the Aune S16 and the Gustard X12. My recollection was that it was very similar to the Aune. It uses the same Japanese chip for DA conversion, but an earlier model. Very smooth and musical. I thought the X12 was better than the Aune in most ways, so I sold the Aune. Based on this experience, I would probably end up giving the nod to the X12 if I were to do a head to head comparison to the Bifrost Uber.

Apr 7, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #1,067 of 5,552
I had a bifrost uber a while back and unfortunately it was before I had the Aune S16 and the Gustard X12. My recollection was that it was very similar to the Aune. It uses the same Japanese chip for DA conversion, but an earlier model. Very smooth and musical. I thought the X12 was better than the Aune in most ways, so I sold the Aune. Based on this experience, I would probably end up giving the nod to the X12 if I were to do a head to head comparison to the Bifrost Uber.

Thanks, that's helpful. I am getting the h10 this week, and will be in the market to upgrade my modi 1 next month. I would like to get the x12 to match.

I read somewhere that the x12 is supposed to be a clone of a very expensive dac (can't recall which one), does this ring a bell?

Apr 7, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #1,068 of 5,552
Thanks, that's helpful. I am getting the h10 this week, and will be in the market to upgrade my modi 1 next month. I would like to get the x12 to match.

I read somewhere that the x12 is supposed to be a clone of a very expensive dac (can't recall which one), does this ring a bell?

Yes, I believe it is a DAC by Rein audio. It is quite similar even in cosmetics to the previous Gustard X10. In fact, it has been confirmed that Gustard was the OEM manufacturer for several other companies.

Apr 7, 2015 at 11:46 PM Post #1,069 of 5,552
Are you referring to the Bifrost with the Uber upgrade and the usb upgrade? Because that is an amazing dac IMO. Mike Moffat knows his stuff with DACs. However, it may be true that the X12 has better synergy with the H10. Because the H10 is slightly darker and warmer, the natural and smooth timber of the Schiit gear might be too warm for some. As an owner of the Gungnir, this struck me immediately, but I have since come to enjoy the pairing. I would love to hear a brighter DAC with the H10, though, for comparison.

If you don't already have Bifrost I'd highly recommend you get something else. Maybe X12 from Gustard. People say Bifrost is hardly better than Modi...

Apr 7, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #1,071 of 5,552
Edit: I completely messed up with quoting in that last message.

LOL, I actually though HiFiMAN CEO was diving in to get an H10 for his 1000's....

Apr 8, 2015 at 12:21 AM Post #1,073 of 5,552
That's a good point about synergy with the h10 and x12. Pretty sure an x13 is what I should get, but I do see people raving on headfi about their bifrost uber, so it makes me think.

Apr 8, 2015 at 1:19 AM Post #1,074 of 5,552
That's a good point about synergy with the h10 and x12. Pretty sure an x13 is what I should get, but I do see people raving on headfi about their bifrost uber, so it makes me think.

I feel your pain. It is impossible to know until you have time to listen to both for extended sessions. There is definitely something to be said about synergy between components from the same company, but you never can know. What I can say is that you would probably be pretty happy with either one. Also, FWIW, if you want to go thr Schiit route, the Modi 2 Uber is a lot like thr BifrostUber for a fraction of the price. So less risky. You also have 15 days to return if you don't like it, but there is a restocking fee.

Apr 8, 2015 at 2:55 AM Post #1,076 of 5,552
Yes, I believe it is a DAC by Rein audio. It is quite similar even in cosmetics to the previous Gustard X10. In fact, it has been confirmed that Gustard was the OEM manufacturer for several other companies.

I think the X10 and X12 are similar in design to the Wyred 4 sound DAC-2, while the X9 is similar to the Rein Audio X3.

Apr 8, 2015 at 3:07 AM Post #1,077 of 5,552
The point about synergy is a very valid one and, in my case right now, a very timely one. As I am typing this I just happen to be listening to my Cayin Ha-1A tube headphone amp paired with a Rotel RDD-06 dac with Beyer T90 headphones listening to my iMac as a source via USB playing a lossless version of  "Love Notes" by The Rippingtons  and all I can say is WOW! It is beautiful, the attack of the notes and the liveliness of the whole piece is so "alive", sorry, don't know how else to describe it.
The longwinded point I'm trying to make here is that this is a purely accidental pairing as I usually listen to my Cayin with the Rotel dac but with other headphones. I just plugged the T90's in because they fell to hand and my other headphones were being used on other rigs. The result is great and not what I would have thought of, or expected. The point of all this is to just say, try different combos, you might be quite surprised! I sure was. Cheers.
P.S. Still love my Gustard stack and for all-round general listening, it's still my favourite.

Apr 8, 2015 at 7:57 AM Post #1,078 of 5,552
I think the X10 and X12 are similar in design to the Wyred 4 sound DAC-2, while the X9 is similar to the Rein Audio X3.

Yes, I think this is exactly right. Our friend in Shenzhen, said that Gustard previously only did contact work for others. So I think it is safe to say that both the Wyrd and Rein dacs were manufactured by them. This also gives a clear idea of the value of the dacs Gustard sells itself, as these two other models are way more expensive.

Apr 8, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #1,079 of 5,552
Yes, I think this is exactly right. Our friend in Shenzhen, said that Gustard previously only did contact work for others. So I think it is safe to say that both the Wyrd and Rein dacs were manufactured by them. This also gives a clear idea of the value of the dacs Gustard sells itself, as these two other models are way more expensive.

They finally gave up the self defence school and I understand they then decided to do contract work for others! He he. I'm such a smartass sometimes!

Apr 8, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #1,080 of 5,552
Question for those of you with more H10 experience.  Mine is inline and burning in.  Initial impressions are good.
I'm currently running +6 on the gain for my HD650's and HE500's with plenty of gain.  Question is...what happens if
you flip two dips at once...such as the +6 and -6?   Do you then get zero gain?   Love the bass control on this amp BTW.
My Lyr is in trouble in that regard.
best,
Hibuck...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back