GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone Amplifier
Apr 10, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #1,111 of 5,552
Yeah, the first Modi was just okay. I think the Modi 2 Uber is more in line with the Bifrost. Chopin is awesome. Do you listen to Debussy? He is one of my favs.

First Modi is actually slightly better than MusicStreamer II, not bad at all considering that it is 2 time cheaper. But yes, it does not compare to Bifrost.

As for the music, believe it or not but I have a vinyl record on my table since yesterday, waiting to be played, and it is Debussy 'Petite Suite and other works'. Debussy is great.

Apr 10, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #1,112 of 5,552
Stuart owned the Bifrost Uber and made some comments, and conquerator20 said he preferred the x12 to Gungnir. I think this chalks up to a matter of preferences, though, because he was fairly upfront about how he likes Sabre DACs better in the first place.

Bifrost Uber is a great dac. It will most likely be less resolving than X12 since the Gungnir is as well. Where the Schiit gear excels is in natural tonality and timbre--sheer musicality . Apparently, the X12 pulls this off without sacrificing too much of the detail Sabre is known for. While Sabre has been criticized for being harsh or digital, the X12 navigates the precarious razor's edge between the two. If I could, I would have both, but until I actually hear the X12, I am not willing to sell the Gungnir for it because I love Schiit's DACs.

Edit: Yeah, the first Modi was just okay. I think the Modi 2 Uber is more in line with the Bifrost. Chopin is awesome. Do you listen to Debussy? He is one of my favs.

I resent that extra 0 
mad.gif

For me X12 > Gungnir any day. YMMV, I think I've been vocal enough about it.

Apr 10, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #1,113 of 5,552
  I resent that extra 0 
mad.gif

For me X12 > Gungnir any day. YMMV, I think I've been vocal enough about it.

Oops, sorry to rustle your jimmies. Perhaps you'd be less resentful had you kept the X12
devil_face.gif

Yes, I indicated that was your opinion, for you, and that you were up front about those preferences. 

In any case, I claim agnosticism until I actually hear the X12, which probably will not be likely for awhile unfortunately. 

On a positive note, though, the lowest price is one person away from being unlocked. 

Apr 10, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #1,114 of 5,552
Oops, sorry to rustle your jimmies. Perhaps you'd be less resentful had you kept the X12:devil_face:

Yes, I indicated that was your opinion, for you, and that you were up front about those preferences. 

In any case, I claim agnosticism until I actually hear the X12, which probably will not be likely for awhile unfortunately. 

On a positive note, though, the lowest price is one person away from being unlocked. 

Perfectly fine.
I sold my X12 to try some vintage R2R flavour instead.
Though the X12 was excellent IMO, especially given the price :)

Apr 10, 2015 at 11:52 PM Post #1,115 of 5,552
Those of you that earlier suggested you hear more bass from the h10 with gain +6 and +12, do you still feel that is a fair observation? Just fired up my new h10 and switching between 0 and +6 gain I am not sure that I hear any difference.

Apr 11, 2015 at 1:08 AM Post #1,118 of 5,552
I see. I have been listening to K7XX most the last few days; the H10 is so good for them that it actually is now surpassing my Lyr, which I prevously thought was a match made in heaven for these AKGs.

Here is something I will say that may or may not be relevant to you.

Someone on the K7XX thread criticize the headphone for revealing a hole in its center image.

When I first plugged in the K7XXs, I was immediately unimpressed, like within a minute, compared to my Lyr, which made them so graceful.

But these last few days, I have been listening to the K7XX out of the H10 exclusively, and these experiences have constituted some of the most memorable I have had since joining the hobby.

To indirectly respond to your query while yoking together the tedious narrative above: after I saw you post, I changed my gain to 0 and noticed a hole in the soundstage, which, remember, others have blamed the K7XXs for. This hole reminded me of the first time I dismissed the H10 as being responsible.

Switching to +6 gain, I noticed this hole completely disappeared.

Somehow, upping the gain filled in the K7XX. I would suspect, then, that higher gain would inflect the reception of your HE-500. The question is really which setting most appropriately suits your tastes.

Apr 11, 2015 at 1:16 AM Post #1,119 of 5,552
Thanks for your thoughts. Going back and forth a bit tonight I must say gain of +6 is more pleasurable on the he500s. The sound does seem more filled in or complete somehow. Not sure how this is even possible.

Apr 11, 2015 at 1:19 AM Post #1,120 of 5,552
Thanks for your thoughts. Going back and forth a bit tonight I must say gain of +6 is more pleasurable on the he500s. The sound does seem more filled in or complete somehow. Not sure how this is even possible.

Please try +12 as well, but turn the volume down appropriately. Tell us what you hear. I am terribly interested.

Apr 11, 2015 at 1:58 AM Post #1,121 of 5,552
Please try +12 as well, but turn the volume down appropriately. Tell us what you hear. I am terribly interested.

Would the gain settings not be more inclined to alter a dynamic headphone's presentation vs a planar headphone with flat impedance ?

Apr 11, 2015 at 2:30 AM Post #1,122 of 5,552
I see. I have been listening to K7XX most the last few days; the H10 is so good for them that it actually is now surpassing my Lyr, which I prevously thought was a match made in heaven for these AKGs.

Here is something I will say that may or may not be relevant to you.

Someone on the K7XX thread criticize the headphone for revealing a hole in its center image.

When I first plugged in the K7XXs, I was immediately unimpressed, like within a minute, compared to my Lyr, which made them so graceful.

But these last few days, I have been listening to the K7XX out of the H10 exclusively, and these experiences have constituted some of the most memorable I have had since joining the hobby.

To indirectly respond to your query while yoking together the tedious narrative above: after I saw you post, I changed my gain to 0 and noticed a hole in the soundstage, which, remember, others have blamed the K7XXs for. This hole reminded me of the first time I dismissed the H10 as being responsible.

Switching to +6 gain, I noticed this hole completely disappeared.

Somehow, upping the gain filled in the K7XX. I would suspect, then, that higher gain would inflect the reception of your HE-500. The question is really which setting most appropriately suits your tastes.

Well most people do say that the K7 series are great with solid state amps. 

Apr 11, 2015 at 2:31 AM Post #1,123 of 5,552
  Those of you that earlier suggested you hear more bass from the h10 with gain +6 and +12, do you still feel that is a fair observation? Just fired up my new h10 and switching between 0 and +6 gain I am not sure that I hear any difference.

I don't think there should be any differences between bass in gain settings unless you are using a high impedance input headphone 

Apr 11, 2015 at 2:36 AM Post #1,124 of 5,552
Would the gain settings not be more inclined to alter a dynamic headphone's presentation vs a planar headphone with flat impedance ?

Good question! I have no idea anymore. AKG is tricky because its low Z, thriving on current it would seem. All i know is that no gain sounds terrible, with a hole in the soundstage, while medium (+6) fills that hole in. It is very very conspicuous. From unlistenable to the best I have heard with this phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back