great, hard drive crashed..
May 24, 2008 at 5:00 AM Post #31 of 64
As someone who works on a lot of computers, I never fail to be amazed by how cavalier most people are about backing up data. Especially as much as 500GB of data, it simply amazes me that it would not be backed up, when you can get a 500GB drive for under $100 these days.

Good luck getting stuff back together cantsleep, I guess you had to learn this lesson the hard way.

May 24, 2008 at 7:05 AM Post #32 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Out of curiosity, for those who have had a HD crash, what brand was it?

2x Western Digital, on the same day, while not being linked they crashed: everything gone. Luckily back then I had most of my stuff backupped on cd but my bf at that time lost everything i.e. his portfolio. WD never in my house again EVER
eek.gif

May 24, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #35 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by cantsleep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
aha! i got everything back!
time to get another back up HD, just in case.

Nice! I was just thinking about how rough things have been for you lately James, glad you were at least able to get your HD back on track.

May 24, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #38 of 64
This will happen to every hard drive at some point down the line. That's why I have mine in Raid 1. If one of them goes bad I can easily restore them on a new hard drive given that no two of them die on me at the same time which is highly unlikely. Raid 5 is more efficient and safe but it's also a lot more cumbersome and expensive.

May 24, 2008 at 6:37 PM Post #40 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Al4x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dont have the option in my lptop

You can get an external hard drive which is fairly small nowadays. Laptop is never a safe place to save all your data.
frown.gif

May 24, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #41 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can get an external hard drive which is fairly small nowadays. Laptop is never a safe place to save all your data.
frown.gif

i had 2 externnal drives go in under 6 months, so i decided to keep 2 hard drives in my laptop instead, they seem more stable when they are inside

May 24, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #42 of 64
Sorry to hear of your loss.

Once you get back on your feet, you need to look at this as a learning experience. If you have dedicated that much money, time and effort into your hobby, it is absolutely ESSENTIAL that you backup your data in several different locations. Hard rives are dirt cheap these days. I currently back up all of my music, digital pictures, important text and financial documents, and music projects to three different local computers, and I have a portable hard drive with those files that I keep at an offsite location. The simplest, cheapest and most effective backup software I found is called SyncBack. It's one of those programs you just set and forget, and then it works behind the scenes flawlessly.

So if you can make multiple local backups, AND make an offsite backup, then that would be the best solution, and it would require some strange act of God for you to lose all of your data completely.

And hopefully, other Head-Fiers will learn from your misfortune. You need to backup your data folks. If you don't it will only end in tears.

And with that said, I'm off to double check to make sure all of my backups are safe and secure...

EDIT: Read through and saw that the OP was able to recover. Happy to hear that, but let me tell you that he is one lucky S.O.B. Back up your data people. I can't stress this enough. People on Head-Fi spend thousands upon thousands of dollars on music gear, what is another $500 or so dollar investment to backup one of your most cherished possessions - your music collection?

May 24, 2008 at 7:04 PM Post #43 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Al4x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i had 2 externnal drives go in under 6 months, so i decided to keep 2 hard drives in my laptop instead, they seem more stable when they are inside

It's true that external hard drives have higher failure rate for some reason. Better choice would be to buy reliable hard drives and external enclosures seperately and build them. I've been lucky for years with my 100GB seagate drive in an aftermarket enclosure. But always the best choice would be raid. There are some external drives that offer raids. You might want to check it out. I think raid is always worth it considering the importance of the data. If what happened to OP happended to me, I would starve for days out of frustration.
frown.gif

May 24, 2008 at 7:23 PM Post #44 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by cantsleep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
aha! i got everything back!

time to get another back up HD, just in case.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostOne.TR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how'du do it?

x2.

May 24, 2008 at 7:36 PM Post #45 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's true that external hard drives have higher failure rate for some reason. Better choice would be to buy reliable hard drives and external enclosures seperately and build them. I've been lucky for years with my 100GB seagate drive in an aftermarket enclosure. But always the best choice would be raid. There are some external drives that offer raids. You might want to check it out. I think raid is always worth it considering the importance of the data. If what happened to OP happended to me, I would starve for days out of frustration.
frown.gif

i have a 300 in the optical bay of my laptop, never use cds and i have a pretty good external superdrive, and a 200gb primary

i figure if i ever take my laptop anyway id more likely use a memory stick than a cd anways, and its stacked full of DVD i own which take up alot of space

i just copy the music/videos/programs/doc folder over every now and gain

Users who are viewing this thread

Back