great, hard drive crashed..
May 24, 2008 at 7:56 PM Post #46 of 64
I wish I can install that kind of storage in my powerbook so that I can use it as a portable jukebox but it's such a pain.
frown.gif
(another frowny)

I'm also really curious to know how OP recovered all those data.

May 24, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #47 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish I can install that kind of storage in my powerbook so that I can use it as a portable jukebox but it's such a pain.
frown.gif
(another frowny)

I'm also really curious to know how OP recovered all those data.

when i found a caddy to fit the optical bay i was quite suprised

id also like to know how the data waas achieved, i still have my 2 failed externals

May 24, 2008 at 10:18 PM Post #48 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by cantsleep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
aha! i got everything back!

time to get another back up HD, just in case.

Great to hear that you recovered the data from the crashed hard drive.
Now back up before it happens again...

May 24, 2008 at 11:21 PM Post #49 of 64
May 25, 2008 at 1:47 AM Post #50 of 64
Out of about 5 seagate hard drives that I had in past, none of'em died on me and they were fairly quiet but on the other hand WD drives failed on me numerous times and they were pretty loud even in idle. I've also had great success in samsung drives but they don't have any external hard drives although you can make on with an external enclosure.

May 25, 2008 at 4:27 AM Post #51 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's true that external hard drives have higher failure rate for some reason.

It's because of inadequate cooling. Tight space + poor ventilation = reduced MTBF. The heat generated by the HDD has nowhere to go in such a confined space.

May 25, 2008 at 4:44 AM Post #52 of 64
Ive heard some pretty good things about samsungs too..

All of my data is on a harddrive less than 6 months old, I only have backups of vacation pictures. If it goes down I will be rather ticked however all of my stuff is in 128k anyway (I want to rerip to FLAC/ALAC but I need more space, and first I want to get a new pc and setup for audio) and the stuff I don't own CDs of anymore is on my sisters rio so I can get that off of there, however that thing is starting to die I think :\

May 26, 2008 at 6:30 AM Post #53 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Al4x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dont have the option in my lptop

There are actually external RAID 1 solutions out there now. However, I'd assume they're a bit on the pricier side. But some data is priceless, you know what I mean?

May 26, 2008 at 7:18 AM Post #54 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by user18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's because of inadequate cooling. Tight space + poor ventilation = reduced MTBF. The heat generated by the HDD has nowhere to go in such a confined space.

That's mostly a problem with portables, isn't it? As far as I'm concerned, portable HDs, no matter how large, are primarily for transporting data from A to B, not for the intense read/write that you perform with normal disks.

May 27, 2008 at 12:28 AM Post #55 of 64
In other news, I'm typing this on my friend's iPod Touch, and borrowing his father's WD 500GB external drive on my main comp. It runs really quiet, and that line of light in the front moves when the drive is working. So far so good!

May 28, 2008 at 9:23 PM Post #57 of 64
May 29, 2008 at 6:39 AM Post #59 of 64
I have ordered its 1TB big brother, since memory is so cheap these days. I have not only the time spent ripping music from the CDs with EAC (~1hr/CD), but also high-quality scans of the artwork. AND I frankly need some extra space to have room for the Mac Time Machine back-ups. As it is now, the MacBook data live a perilous existence with only the essential files backed up (but in triplicate).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back