great, hard drive crashed..
May 23, 2008 at 7:47 PM Post #16 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try vinyl. I've worn out a stylus, but have never had trouble retrieving music from my discs.

x2. i have yet to have a CD crash.

also, sorry about the HD failure. i don't trust hard drives and for good reason. they work fine and then one day, for no reason, just stop.

May 23, 2008 at 7:57 PM Post #17 of 64
I know what you mean. I had a 250GB disc crash on me, and a lot of the music was bootlegs (not pirateware: bootlegs) that were my only copies. A friend of mine managed to recover the files, but most of the file tree was lost. Patching it together was .... !!! ... well, it sucked!

Another occasion I lost 4 months of work on my PhD thesis.

I have learnt. My music files are all in duplicate at a minimum, and my work files in even higher multiples (duplicate is usually good enough, but remember that when one copy is gone, you are suddenly working with only one copy - no back-up!). The doubling of HD cost is a small price compared to the cost of and work involved in recovery.

May 23, 2008 at 9:08 PM Post #18 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

eek.gif
if that happened to me you would see me in the obits, I am about 8 months away from completing my PhD and that would just do me in completely. I once thought I had lost access to some key data and I was in a foul state for days.

Must dash off and do some back-ups
wink.gif

May 23, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #19 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ouch!

I've had two papers lost before(not 4 months of work though).

I was pissed beyond belief. Actually, redoing them turned out to show a much better paper than the first... but I would never want to go through it again.

--
My music back-up HD started to die on me today. The head makes a loud clicking noise. I am able to see the files with some playing around, but wont be long until it goes. I am afraid to turn on my main external until I get it backed up again. This thread is a bad omen.

May 23, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #20 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's what I came up with from a Google search:

Hard Drive Freezer Trick - have you ever tried it?

Put Your Hard Drive In The Freezer To Recover Data · CaseyTech.com

Saves the OP a few seconds of tweaking key search words around.

Interesting. On a totally different theory, I have tried the same thing with Nickel Metal Hydride batteries with success (home phones) and even Nickel Cadmium batteries (doesn't seem to work as well as NiMH).

May 23, 2008 at 10:31 PM Post #22 of 64
Sorry to hear!
In cases like this it would have been great to have a backup.
wink.gif

May 23, 2008 at 11:43 PM Post #23 of 64
That sucks indeed. I have everything back-upped twice on 2 different harddrives including all my music, the latter on top of that also being on my Ipod. I would absolutely freak out losing all that! Hope you get your things back on track soon.

May 24, 2008 at 1:37 AM Post #26 of 64
Ouch. I know how you feel.

Now, I have three different backups for my music. Another internal drive, an external USB drive, and on my iPod. I also have some backups on CDs and DVDs.

May 24, 2008 at 1:45 AM Post #27 of 64
Whenever my dad writes a technical paper for publication, he saves each day's work as a new file, and then saves it on a multitude of flash drives. My method whenever I finish an assignment is to email it to myself.

May 24, 2008 at 1:45 AM Post #28 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Out of curiosity, for those who have had a HD crash, what brand was it?

I've learned that brand name really doesn't change the statistics of your luck; both Seagate and WD both have their share of lemons.

But from personal experience, I know that Seagates are very noisy compared to WD.

May 24, 2008 at 2:10 AM Post #29 of 64
All my HDs are Seagate. At least they have five-year warranties. But I have to say that if my drive crashed, I would cry. It's funny, because when my laptop's motherboard fried, I recovered quickly, because it was under warranty, and I lost nothing. HD has so much time and effort invested.

May 24, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #30 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Out of curiosity, for those who have had a HD crash, what brand was it?

Internal drive of a Mac back in the very early 90ies ... can't quite remember which Mac, but the HD was 40MB, which was considered "excessive" by the rest of the faculty members back then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back