Grado Fan Club!
Apr 29, 2016 at 6:25 PM Post #31,787 of 65,714
If you have the funds and if you can still find them, buy the GH1...call it a day and enjoy. That's what I did. No turning back
smily_headphones1.gif

Does it have that Grado "U" sound that I crave so dearly? Or is it a little more on the neutral side.

Apr 29, 2016 at 8:56 PM Post #31,788 of 65,714
  Does it have that Grado "U" sound that I crave so dearly? Or is it a little more on the neutral side.

Been away for a bit, but I can answer this one. 
biggrin.gif
The GH1 does have the U shape, or as I call it V shape to the soundstage, and it really depends on the cushions that are used. In my experience, the stock L cushion has this sound profile, the G cushion however has more of a smiley face soundstage. Think of it as stretching out that U or V to create a better sense of space, separation, & air in the mid range. Tonally it is more neutral with the G cushion, it's not too bright or too warm. It's been a while since I listened with the L cushion, but I do recall there being a boost in frequency band that carries the electric guitar. It sounded more euphonic to my ears. It is a strange paradox when you think about the cushion difference tonally. Anyone else ever notice this?

Over the last couple weeks, the GH1 has really become my go-to. I feel it has the potential to surpass all my other headphones. Comfort is really an issue so the lightweight of it really benefits the listening time spent. Anytime I'm reading praise for another headphone, like the RS2e as of late, I reach for the GH1 to alleviate that itch for another Grado.

Apr 29, 2016 at 9:13 PM Post #31,789 of 65,714

Been away for a bit, but I can answer this one. 
biggrin.gif
The GH1 does have the U shape, or as I call it V shape to the soundstage, and it really depends on the cushions that are used. In my experience, the stock L cushion has this sound profile, the G cushion however has more of a smiley face soundstage. Think of it as stretching out that U or V to create a better sense of space, separation, & air in the mid range. Tonally it is more neutral with the G cushion, it's not too bright or too warm. It's been a while since I listened with the L cushion, but I do recall there being a boost in frequency band that carries the electric guitar. It sounded more euphonic to my ears. It is a strange paradox when you think about the cushion difference tonally. Anyone else ever notice this?

Over the last couple weeks, the GH1 has really become my go-to. I feel it has the potential to surpass all my other headphones. Comfort is really an issue so the lightweight of it really benefits the listening time spent. Anytime I'm reading praise for another headphone, like the RS2e as of late, I reach for the GH1 to alleviate that itch for another Grado.

Wonder if it was spectral U response (high on the ends and low in the middle) rather than soundstage shape that Dillan was asking about?

Apr 29, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #31,791 of 65,714
If you have the funds and if you can still find them, buy the GH1...call it a day and enjoy. That's what I did. No turning back :)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0wALArd2rvo

Apr 29, 2016 at 11:49 PM Post #31,792 of 65,714
  Wonder if it was spectral U response (high on the ends and low in the middle) rather than soundstage shape that Dillan was asking about?

Upon reading his post again, that makes sense too. This U shaped Grado definition is reminiscent of what Mo-fi does on their CD remastering. Some MFSL CDs are known to have what some call a "smiley face EQ" sound to them. What they do to albums whether analog or digital masters results in a bright sound that can have sharp or shouty highs with tight bass that is wound or plain quiet. It depends on the source and era of their remastering equipment, but that's close to the general consensus.

Is there a full definition to Grado U sound?

Apr 30, 2016 at 2:18 AM Post #31,794 of 65,714
  Why has there been quite a few comments recently on ths and the 'e-series' thread saying Grados need an amp?

The whole principle is that they are low impedance headphones, that need little more driving that 16 ohm IEMs. They will sound good out of any device. It is the sound quality of the device that that matters.

These are opinions expressed by owners, nothing more. If you don't feel an amp improves the experience, than you saved money (buy more music).

My IEMs are Shure SE535 with 36 ohm impedance, not dissimilar from the 32 ohm Grados. IMO, both 'phones really sound better when played through an amp, as opposed to a phone's headphone jack. Heck, even my Sony Walkman (NWZ-A17), which is a really clean source, can't compare with plugging my IEMs into any of my desktop amps or even the same Walkman connected to a Sony PHA-1A DAC/amp.

So, yeah, I stand by my earlier comment, recognizing that plugging IEMs or Grados into  an iPhone will produce music and it will sound fine.

Apr 30, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #31,795 of 65,714
After a few weeks with the semi - vintage Grado RS1 and a little time to roll some different pads and plenty of different tubes....I now can give some impressions of its sound.

Like always, these are just my impressions and  made with my ears and my gear...so take that with a grain of salt as YMMV.  Blues & rock are my preferred genre.

It has been some time since i had my RS1i, so I can not say for sure how those stack up with this version of RS1, I also have made changes to the rest of my chain and I am sure that those have some effect.

Prior to getting these RS1 headphones, I have been scratching my Grado itch with a pair of 225i headphones.

Without any doubt, I much prefer the RS1 sound, it just more refined, from top to bottom.

I am going to give my impressions of the flat pads  with two different tube combinations, one combo is pretty simple and one combo is a bit more extravagant.

First I can say, with out any hesitation , that I like the flat pads better on this older RS1 than I did my RS1i.

When I say flat pads these are the TTVJ flats pads , with the slits around the edges of the pads....not the s- cushion pads.

Listening with this tube combo......1950's RCA 6AS7 power tubes & RCA 1942 6SN7 smoked glass driver tube.

I could listen to the 225i with flats pads, but my current RS1 is much better.  The bass is nice and clean and still very much controlled.....the sound stage is a bit narrower, but the depth and texture is very, very nice.....the mids may lose a wee bit, but they are still very present.

I know it sounds strange, but to my ears, with the flat pads and this tube combo...the RS1 sounds warm.  I really like this sound, not a hint of brightness up top.....just a nice warm sound signature, one that I very much enjoy...great Grado transparency and warm sound. Decent amount of air between instruments , but it is more from front to back and not so much wide. Crosby, Stills, Nash - Manassas album sounds amazing.

With the flat pads, I can turn the volume down, compared to the L cushion, but I can listen to these RS1 with a higher level of volume than I ever have listened to Grado headphones before, I have always been a very low volume listener with my Grados.
The flat pads sound warmer than the L-cushion with this combo....only thing is...after a couple of albums, the comfy factor kicks in and it is time for me to swap to the L- cushion.

After listening to both the flats and the L cushion on this combo...I still prefer the L- cushion..not as warm, but it still wins the comfy battle....but make no mistake, the flat pads are very nice sound and a wonderful change of pace.

Still using the flat pads, now with this tube combo....Six 6BL7 as power tubes & two EL3N as driver tubes.

I can still play the volume much louder and the sound just becomes bigger....from top to bottom and from side to side.

The bass slam is wonderful, especially for an RS1.  The wonderful Grado mid range is still there and the treble again, is on the warmer side...some may call it rolled off..and it is compared to the normal Grado top end, not as much sparkle...you may or may not like this...most people enjoy the top end sparkle and air of Grado headphones.  I sure do, but I also like this version very much...a tamed down version, so to speak.

This sound is not as warm as the combo mentioned above, and with a switch to the L cushion, it becomes easily identified that the sound stage gets wider, but not as much depth...so again...this would be to ones personal preference as to which they like the best.

I also prefer the mids of the L cushion over the flat pads, but I will say that this is the best that I have heard the mids with the flat pads....better than the 225i produced.

In conclusion of the flat pads vs the L cushion, at least in this little experiment, I still prefer the L- cushion.....I still like the over all sound with the L-cushion better, but again...this is just my opinion.

I do like the flat pads better than I have ever heard them before and I will use them from time to time, but I just can not go beyond a couple of albums at a time, and the comfort level gets to me.....I probably favor comfy , more than most
tongue.gif

In conclusion of the RS1 semi - vintage - I like it a lot, as i have said, it has been awhile since I heard the RS1i and my chain of gear is now different.

I find this older RS1 to have an over all warmer tone than the RS1i, just can not pin point the reason why , as it could be the headphone or my amp, my amp has a naturally warm signature to it, that is just the nature and tone of it....so it more than likely is a combination of both headphone and gear.

Likes for the semi - vintage RS1
The little bit of extra bass
The ability to turn the volume up and not feel that it is fatiguing but still sound wonderful at low volume and not lose detail.
Over all warmer tone
Thinner and lighter cable & 1/4" plug
How easy it is to change pads, it is top notch....other companies should take note of this
Of course, it's sexy looks 
smile.gif

Dislikes....these are really minor and there is not much that I do not like about this headphone
The cord is a tad long, even though I love that it is lighter....still after experience other cables, I think Grado could make a more comfy cable and one easier to work with.

Again, these are just my opinions and what I hear with my gear, so please take all I have said with this in mind....The over all Grado sound is one that grabbed me from the start when I first heard them, I love that there are really fun and the sound of string instruments is amazing.

Please do not hold me responsible for any misspelled words, as this is way more than I usually type and as my wife sometimes says   " you could  f%#! up a steel ball, with a rubber hammer" !

Apr 30, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #31,796 of 65,714
  After a few weeks with the semi - vintage Grado RS1 and a little time to roll some different pads and plenty of different tubes....I now can give some impressions of its sound.

Like always, these are just my impressions and  made with my ears and my gear...so take that with a grain of salt as YMMV.  Blues & rock are my preferred genre.

It has been some time since i had my RS1i, so I can not say for sure how those stack up with this version of RS1, I also have made changes to the rest of my chain and I am sure that those have some effect.

Wonderful review!

When I compared my RS1 (buttoned) to my RS1i (not buttoned), the RS1 won out, mainly due to better subbass and better ability to include bass harmonics that give the pitch to low tones and the twang to kick drums, as follows (these also were with the flat TTVJ (but made by Grado) flat pads with holes and slits on the RS1; L bowls on the RS1i, pherhaps xpalining its better sound stage):

Apr 30, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #31,797 of 65,714

Listening with this tube combo......1950's RCA 6AS7 power tubes & RCA 1942 6SN7 smoked glass driver tube.

I could listen to the 225i with flats pads, but my current RS1 is much better.  The bass is nice and clean and still very much controlled.....the sound stage is a bit narrower, but the depth and texture is very, very nice.....the mids may lose a wee bit, but they are still very present.

I know it sounds strange, but to my ears, with the flat pads and this tube combo...the RS1 sounds warm.  I really like this sound, not a hint of brightness up top.....just a nice warm sound signature, one that I very much enjoy...great Grado transparency and warm sound. Decent amount of air between instruments , but it is more from front to back and not so much wide. Crosby, Stills, Nash - Manassas album sounds amazing.

With the flat pads, I can turn the volume down, compared to the L cushion, but I can listen to these RS1 with a higher level of volume than I ever have listened to Grado headphones before, I have always been a very low volume listener with my Grados.
The flat pads sound warmer than the L-cushion with this combo....only thing is...after a couple of albums, the comfy factor kicks in and it is time for me to swap to the L- cushion.

After listening to both the flats and the L cushion on this combo...I still prefer the L- cushion..not as warm, but it still wins the comfy battle....but make no mistake, the flat pads are very nice sound and a wonderful change of pace.

Still using the flat pads, now with this tube combo....Six 6BL7 as power tubes & two EL3N as driver tubes.

I can still play the volume much louder and the sound just becomes bigger....from top to bottom and from side to side.

The bass slam is wonderful, especially for an RS1.  The wonderful Grado mid range is still there and the treble again, is on the warmer side...some may call it rolled off..and it is compared to the normal Grado top end, not as much sparkle...you may or may not like this...most people enjoy the top end sparkle and air of Grado headphones.  I sure do, but I also like this version very much...a tamed down version, so to speak.

This sound is not as warm as the combo mentioned above, and with a switch to the L cushion, it becomes easily identified that the sound stage gets wider, but not as much depth...so again...this would be to ones personal preference as to which they like the best.

I also prefer the mids of the L cushion over the flat pads, but I will say that this is the best that I have heard the mids with the flat pads....better than the 225i produced.

In conclusion of the flat pads vs the L cushion, at least in this little experiment, I still prefer the L- cushion.....I still like the over all sound with the L-cushion better, but again...this is just my opinion.

I do like the flat pads better than I have ever heard them before and I will use them from time to time, but I just can not go beyond a couple of albums at a time, and the comfort level gets to me.....I probably favor comfy , more than most
tongue.gif

In conclusion of the RS1 semi - vintage - I like it a lot, as i have said, it has been awhile since I heard the RS1i and my chain of gear is now different.

I find this older RS1 to have an over all warmer tone than the RS1i, just can not pin point the reason why , as it could be the headphone or my amp, my amp has a naturally warm signature to it, that is just the nature and tone of it....so it more than likely is a combination of both headphone and gear.

The ability to turn the volume up and not feel that it is fatiguing but still sound wonderful at low volume and not lose detail.
Over all warmer tone
How easy it is to change pads, it is top notch....other companies should take note of this
smile.gif

Dislikes....these are really minor and there is not much that I do not like about this headphone
The cord is a tad long, even though I love that it is lighter....still after experience other cables, I think Grado could make a more comfy cable and one easier to work with.

Again, these are just my opinions and what I hear with my gear, so please take all I have said with this in mind....The over all Grado sound is one that grabbed me from the start when I first heard them, I love that there are really fun and the sound of string instruments is amazing.

Please do not hold me responsible for any misspelled words, as this is way more than I usually type and as my wife sometimes says   " you could  f%#! up a steel ball, with a rubber hammer" !

Good stuff indeed, thank you whirlwind! You hit the nail right on the head with the overall sound profile. I spent less an hour with the TTVJ Flats and decided that the bass was making the mid-range too muddy. Comfort is an issue with me too, the L cushions are easier on the ears.

Did you see the new Deluxe Flat Pads from TTVJ? The description from their site says:
 The new TTVJAudio Deluxe flat pads are improved through a new process. Fits all Grado headphones, and improves the sound. Hear more refined highs and tighter bass. A very nice upgrade over the older model. Not recommended for the GS or PS series headphones.

Introductory pricing is $50. Will go to $60 in July

Supposedly they are comparable to the newer Joseph Grado improved flat pads. Considering the original RS1s were meant to have flat pads, maybe these are closer to the stock cushions than the other flats from TTVJ.

Apr 30, 2016 at 9:45 PM Post #31,798 of 65,714

Over all warmer tone
smile.gif

+1 on the ridiculous ease to changing pads... I might qualify as one of the clumsiest -- maybe, THE clumsiest -- pair of hands on Head Fi, and I have mostly eschewed attempts at pad swapping which is supposedly one of the easier reversible mods on many headphones, but I've struggled putting pads on most headphones... but not the Grado's... it's so laughably easy that even I can not only do it, but find it super easy to do it... Superb benefit of Grado's!

With other headphones I might make the effort to make a more-or-less permanent pad upgrade, but with my SR80e's I routinely swapped the S cushions for Ear Zonk L when I wanted different sound signatures.  Too easy!

May 1, 2016 at 3:00 AM Post #31,799 of 65,714
damn almost $60 with shipping for the TTVJ deluxe pads!  C'mon MAN!

okay, okay, so whose gonna take one for the team!?  all you guys with the HP1(2,3) 
biggrin.gif
THESE ARE CALLING YOUR NAME!

oh and btw report back on how they do with the Rs1 w/buttons too!
wink_face.gif
biggrin.gif

May 1, 2016 at 7:01 AM Post #31,800 of 65,714

Wonderful review!

When I compared my RS1 (buttoned) to my RS1i (not buttoned), the RS1 won out, mainly due to better subbass and better ability to include bass harmonics that give the pitch to low tones and the twang to kick drums, as follows (these also were with the flat TTVJ (but made by Grado) flat pads with holes and slits on the RS1; L bowls on the RS1i, pherhaps xpalining its better sound stage):

Thanks

tongue.gif

Over all warmer tone
smile.gif

Good stuff indeed, thank you whirlwind! You hit the nail right on the head with the overall sound profile. I spent less an hour with the TTVJ Flats and decided that the bass was making the mid-range too muddy. Comfort is an issue with me too, the L cushions are easier on the ears.

Did you see the new Deluxe Flat Pads from TTVJ? The description from their site says:
 The new TTVJAudio Deluxe flat pads are improved through a new process. Fits all Grado headphones, and improves the sound. Hear more refined highs and tighter bass. A very nice upgrade over the older model. Not recommended for the GS or PS series headphones.

Introductory pricing is $50. Will go to $60 in July

Supposedly they are comparable to the newer Joseph Grado improved flat pads. Considering the original RS1s were meant to have flat pads, maybe these are closer to the stock cushions than the other flats from TTVJ.

Thanks for the kind words and for the heads up on the new flat pads

Over all warmer tone
smile.gif

+1 on the ridiculous ease to changing pads... I might qualify as one of the clumsiest -- maybe, THE clumsiest -- pair of hands on Head Fi, and I have mostly eschewed attempts at pad swapping which is supposedly one of the easier reversible mods on many headphones, but I've struggled putting pads on most headphones... but not the Grado's... it's so laughably easy that even I can not only do it, but find it super easy to do it... Superb benefit of Grado's!

With other headphones I might make the effort to make a more-or-less permanent pad upgrade, but with my SR80e's I routinely swapped the S cushions for Ear Zonk L when I wanted different sound signatures.  Too easy!

Yeah, it can be done in a matter of a few seconds....tough to top that, or even equal it.

damn almost $60 with shipping for the TTVJ deluxe pads!  C'mon MAN!

okay, okay, so whose gonna take one for the team!?  all you guys with the HP1(2,3) 
biggrin.gif
THESE ARE CALLING YOUR NAME!

oh and btw report back on how they do with the Rs1 w/buttons too!
wink_face.gif
biggrin.gif

Ha ha ha.....I would like to try them, especially since the regular TTVJ flats sound nice on the RS1...but for $60, I would rather snag some tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back