Grado Fan Club!
Apr 27, 2016 at 10:27 PM Post #31,756 of 65,858

So, can I be one of the cool kids now?!

Beautiful, congratulations!
You were already cool in my book.
beerchug.gif

Apr 27, 2016 at 11:41 PM Post #31,759 of 65,858
  Hmm... didn't know that I would need an amp to get the most out of it. Learning something new with every post.

Well, I wouldn't mind investing in an amp in the near future. The reason I was attracted to Grado was because many reviews said they're best for the kind of music I listen to. Rock/Classical/Acoustic/Jazz.

What's the general "use case" for Grados? I know they're not mean for the daily commute or the library, but are they solely designed for solitary listening in one's den?

I wouldnt mind using it at work on lower volumes. I'm open to suggestions.

Cheers

The amp thing is just my opinion, but it's been my experience that they sound better with one (as opposed to just plugging into your phone's headphone jack).

For the music, they are pretty good for what you describe: especially Acoustic - again, IMO.

One thing Grado does extremely well is scale with volume - that is, they present a similar sound signature at even very low and very high volume, so they are good for low-level, background listening (assuming you can tolerate the physical comfort of the headband and on ear cups).

Grade makes great headphones. My initial reply was in response to your post stating that you returned them because you didn't care for the sound, which is fair. I don't believe "burn in" will change how you perceive the sound enough to make you want to keep them, so move on.

Now, I *have* had that happen with other 'phones, where it took a long time to learn to appreciate their unique sound. For Grado, I loved 'em right away and I don't think the sound changes much or at all with extending listening. A contentious topic, so take my opinion for what it's worth.

if you didn't care for the Grado sound, might I suggest you try a Sennheiser HD-650 for Rock or an HD-700 for Classical/Jazz.

Good luck with your headphone search... 
beerchug.gif

Apr 28, 2016 at 1:41 AM Post #31,763 of 65,858
  Hmm... didn't know that I would need an amp to get the most out of it. Learning something new with every post.

Well, I wouldn't mind investing in an amp in the near future. The reason I was attracted to Grado was because many reviews said they're best for the kind of music I listen to. Rock/Classical/Acoustic/Jazz.

What's the general "use case" for Grados? I know they're not mean for the daily commute or the library, but are they solely designed for solitary listening in one's den?

I wouldnt mind using it at work on lower volumes. I'm open to suggestions.

Cheers

having tried RS2e i think it has little bit more neutral sound than the Grado prestige series, also more refined and better detail retrieval..however in my opinion i think its for people with specific taste in sound and not for general consumer( then again Grado sound in general is not for mainstream consumers).

the genre you specified are actually great in RS2e, however i would recommend trying something from the prestige series like sr225e or sr80e..they are more in your face kind of sound and i think they are more fun for genre like metal and rock.

as for amp..usually you don't need one for Grado, but if i would recommend one then probably get something cheap like cmoy or something more popular like the objective O2 amp..i  certainly feel im getting bit better sound with my cmoy.

Apr 28, 2016 at 5:19 AM Post #31,764 of 65,858
Apr 28, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #31,768 of 65,858
Those are gorgeous! How do they sound?
smily_headphones1.gif
(could be taken as a rhetorical question but feel free to gush on about them with detail...)
smily_headphones1.gif

Haha, well I'm only about an hour in, but so far they are just what you'd expect - the best version of Grado sound I've heard. Take the low end from the GH1, midrange of the RS1, and an unmatched level of detail, wrap it all up in a big-***** metal mushroom and you've got it! They pair really well with my WA7tp - making me feel very good about deciding to keep the all-in-one rather than worry about a separate DAC.

You guys keep your eyes peeled, after a few days of PS1k, the GH1 may be in need of a new home - who knows!

Apr 28, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #31,770 of 65,858

So, can I be one of the cool kids now?!

you always were. but now you made the PS1000 owners a bit cooler too :wink:

be sure to check in: http://www.head-fi.org/t/520884/ps1000-impressions-thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Back