Grado Fan Club!
Apr 27, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #31,741 of 65,990
  But if you thought it sounded like it had potential and you just weren't as WOWED as you thought you'd be but still kind of liked it.. I would suggest getting them again and letting them burn in a while and seeing how they open up. Like Joseph said, those generally get a lot of praise for good reason!
o2smile.gif

That sums up my initial thoughts. It sounds good, but I wasn't wowed. I thought my expectations might have been too high and so i returned them.

But after reading a little about "burn in" I think I should give them another try.

Cheers

Apr 27, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #31,742 of 65,990

Lol, that was a good one

@John, thanks for the previous comparison link.

Thanks, I had to solicitate all of my brain cells to come up with that one, so the 3 of them will need a few days to recuperate.
biggrin.gif

Apr 27, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #31,743 of 65,990
  Comparing Grado GH1/G, GS1000e (250+ hrs), and HP1000; effect of GH1000e burn in

I have been nursing along my GS1000e purchased new in  mid March, 2015 (over 13 months ago), observing that its sound improves, though VVEERRYY SLOWLY, over time.  At this point I have over 250 hours of use on it.

There is a GS1000i that I covet in my local audio store, conveniently located in the uppermost northwest corner of their showroom (really!), sitting neglected there for at least 3 years, waiting for someone to love it.  I am that someone.  I compared it here to both my GS1000e (with fewer hours) and the new GH1 and that GS1000i beat them all.

So I have been burning in my GS1000es, hoping that they will achieve the beauty that I heard in the GS1000i at the store.  Here is what I wrote last August, comparing the GS1000i to the GS1000e:

Before that (May of 2015), I had compared my GS1000e to my PS1000 and HP1000s, here:

As shown (higher numbers are better), the GS1000e had an overall score in third place, with the HP1000 in second place and the PS1000e.

Today, nearly one year later, I wanted to again compare the GS1000e to the HP1000, as well as to the GH1, which as described above, is my bellwether for approaching the desirability of the GS1000i.

Here are the headphones (all mine... ALL MINE!!!):

From top, Grado GH1, GS1000e, and HP1000 used in comparison.

I used the same music and test procedure as described here My source was the PC outputting to a SONY PHA-1 DAC, then feeding a Joseph Grado HPA-1 headphone amp and then the headphone.

Here is what I found today.

It appears that the GS1000e is moving up in the world.  In May, 2015, the GS1000e was 1.5 points below the HP1000 in total score (16.5 vs. 18.0).  Today, for the same headphones, but with perhaps 250 more hours of use on the GS1000e, it leads the HP1000 in my scores by 3 points, and it ties the GH1 (though excels in different areas - GS1000e best in preserving the high-frequency harmonics that determine the pitch of a bass note, and wider sound stage and associated positional resolution, than the HP1000.  The HP1000 provides more of the very deepest bass (< 100 Hz) and preserves the sound of the pluck of a finger on a bass string better than the GS1000e.

To ease comparison, I place the GS1000e vs. HP1000 comparisons side by side (two columns from the first colored matrix and from the one):

As regards the GS1000e vs. the GH1, the total score is tied at 21.  However, the transparency of the GH1 (and of the GS1000i) is more important to me than its importance to the score - it contributes but 10% of the total score, but it accounts for 30% - 50% of my listening pleasure.  In addition, though it does not show up in a score, the mid bass of the GS1000e sounds congested and muddled, "tubby" in the parlance of my earlier comparison quoted above.  

So there does seem to be a long-range improvement with burn in of the GS1000e.  However, despite the equal score to the GH-1, I still prefer the GH1 (and GS1000i, which I preferred to the GH1 in an in-store listening test) to the GS1000e.  The fact that each of the 10 factors is not of equal importance to listening, though it is to the total score, underscores the fallacy of trying to equate total score with headphone listening quality.

Just to be sure, did you use the stock L-cush, with the GH-1, and TTVJ Flats, with your HP1000?

Apr 27, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #31,744 of 65,990
What's the verdict on sr325e vs RS2e vs GH1?

I'm new to Grado and high end headphones, but for a special edition the GH1 has been available for quite some time. Anyone know how many have been made/sold?

Cheers

Apr 27, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #31,745 of 65,990

That sums up my initial thoughts. It sounds good, but I wasn't wowed. I thought my expectations might have been too high and so i returned them.

But after reading a little about "burn in" I think I should give them another try.

Cheers

I hate to add this to the conversation, but I believe that Grados are sensitive to proper amplification. Not sure what you are using for a headphone amp, but moving to a new solid-state amp with Grado RS2i was a revelation for my ears.

Apologies if I missed it earlier in the thread, but what are you using to drive your headphones? 

Apr 27, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #31,748 of 65,990
  An iPhone6S. I know even less about headphone amps than I do about high end headphones :)

If that's how you want to use your headphones and you did not care for the sound, then Grado isn't for you. "Burn in" isn't going to change that outcome.

Tell us what kind of music you like, what you are looking for out of a headphone, and I'm sure people will offer good suggestions.

Apr 27, 2016 at 6:29 PM Post #31,749 of 65,990
So I have only one pair of "true" Grado's, the HF2. I also have a home built Sym V5 with wood cups. I'm thinking that another set would be a good idea, would I be crazy to add a pair of 325e's to the mix? BTW, just purchased a MAD Ear +, one of the very first models. It's at the good Dr's now for a checkup and to see what new parts he can add on to it. Really looking forward to getting this back! I already ended up buying some tubes for it.

Apr 27, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #31,751 of 65,990

Just to be sure, did you use the stock L-cush, with the GH-1, and TTVJ Flats, with your HP1000?

I used the G Cush with the GH1 and the TTVJ flats with my HP1000.

Apr 27, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #31,752 of 65,990
Hmm... didn't know that I would need an amp to get the most out of it. Learning something new with every post.

Well, I wouldn't mind investing in an amp in the near future. The reason I was attracted to Grado was because many reviews said they're best for the kind of music I listen to. Rock/Classical/Acoustic/Jazz.

What's the general "use case" for Grados? I know they're not mean for the daily commute or the library, but are they solely designed for solitary listening in one's den?

I wouldnt mind using it at work on lower volumes. I'm open to suggestions.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back