Grado Fan Club!
Sep 7, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #18,271 of 65,858
My RS2is just got seriously awesome after putting some electrical tape around the bowls. Luvin it! Now in love with Grados again.

Woooooooooooo!

Sep 7, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #18,273 of 65,858

Thanks for that...

I am still ordering senn pads and flats along with a vali just to change things up but I have a feeling the taped bowls will be the best

Can you post a pic?  I am trying to imagine what that looks like 
rolleyes.gif

Sep 7, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #18,274 of 65,858

Thanks for that...

Can you post a pic?  I am trying to imagine what that looks like 
rolleyes.gif

Page 1 of that same article...

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/evaluation-grado-stock-and-modified-ear-pads

Sep 7, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #18,276 of 65,858
  It depends on your budget, but if you like the SR80's sound signature, the RS1 would be a significant upgrade. if your budget can't stretch that far, you could go for the SR225.

Notice I haven't specified ''i'' or ''e'' at the end of the model numbers, that's because I have heard the ''i'', but not the ''e'', models, but juging from all the positive comments from their owners, they definately seem to be an improvement over the ''i'' series.

That being said, you might even consider the new SR80e, wich are two generations newer than your SR80, to be enough of an improvement to hold you over untill you could buy the RS1e.

And if you want to go a different route, the PS500, wich have deeper bass, and a slithly rolled off, more polite treble, than the SR series.

I hope this helps.

Brilliant.
Thank you :)

Interestingly some say the last series SR80i generation was worst than the original SR80. I am curious if this new e-series is improved or worst off.
Any ideas on what Grado has improved?

Sep 7, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #18,277 of 65,858
Hmm. I have a question for you Grado experts as someone who's arrived late to the party. For $100, should I get new sr80e's, or used sr225i's? I have an hour left to decide, and I don't know what to do!
Used SR225i's if in good condition.

Sep 7, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #18,279 of 65,858
  Hmm. I have a question for you Grado experts as someone who's arrived late to the party. For $100, should I get new sr80e's, or used sr225i's? I have an hour left to decide, and I don't know what to do!

Take this with a grain of salt, as I follow but do not own either...

I'd go with the sr225is.  This is because the change between the older i and newer e line is said to be small, the improvement from the  80 to the 225 is said to be large, and the 225, along with the RS-1 (and RS-1i, which I have,  and RS-1 e) are said to be the best example of the "Grado house sound," known for being very transparent and very good with guitar, organ, and vocals.

I am planning on purchasing both (as well as the SR-60, SR-325, and PS1000), so I have been researching and trying them.

Sep 7, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #18,280 of 65,858
kayandjohn, I will give you the voices, and the guitar,but an organ!, the RS1!, really!, surely you can't be speaking about a pipe organ, so I,m assuming that you mean an Hammond organ. My PS1000 can't even do a pipe organ justice so...

Anyway,  XLR8, I never heard the original SR80, I just know that I love my SR80i, and regarding the ''e'' series I havent hear ant of them yet, but I can't wait the hear the PS1000e, I love mine so much, that it's hard for me to imagine the new one sounding even better we'll see.

I did forget to mention my all time no brainer, for those who like the ''Grado house sound'', the Bushmills X, I don't know what they go for used, but I know I've always regretted not buying two pairs when they were still available fro TT Lab, DAMN!.

Sep 7, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #18,281 of 65,858
  kayandjohn, I will give you the voices, and the guitar,but an organ!, the RS1!, really!, surely you can't be speaking about a pipe organ, so I,m assuming that you mean an Hammond organ. My PS1000 can't even do a pipe organ justice so...

Anyway,  XLR8, I never heard the original SR80, I just know that I love my SR80i, and regarding the ''e'' series I havent hear ant of them yet, but I can't wait the hear the PS1000e, I love mine so much, that it's hard for me to imagine the new one sounding even better we'll see.

I did forget to mention my all time no brainer, for those who like the ''Grado house sound'', the Bushmills X, I don't know what they go for used, but I know I've always regretted not buying two pairs when they were still available fro TT Lab, DAMN!.

Surprisingly I have ventured out to see what differences between the original SR80 and the SR80i there is. I found the cup was mushroom as opposed to the bowls of the original but nothing else until I stumbled onto a picture from google on the new SR80i and then I saw it. The cup and outer diaphragm is different.
I took a snap of my original SR80 and compared to the new SR80i found on the web (see below)

SR80i

Original SR80's

I wonder sonically what this results in cause I find my SR80 amazing yet what I read when some users compared here on head-fi between SR80i and RS1 they stated to their word that the SR80i was poo but I find that very wrong with my SR80's. I wonder to what extent users/reviewers describe audio and how subjective it really is and whether the wood diaphragm creates more the placebo effect in audio comparisons. As always YMMV but audio commentary is never easy and as I always say trust your ears and hear for yourself if you can.
For the record my Grado SR80's do not sound like poo and this review is more akin to reality. Perhaps in the future I will do a woody on my plastics to hear what all the fuss is about.
Good luck everyone with your audio journeys
L3000.gif

Sep 8, 2014 at 4:11 AM Post #18,284 of 65,858
  Welp, I missed the chance to buy the sr225i's as my house was robbed and I was dealing with the aftermath. Looks like it wasn't meant to happen. I'm sure the sr80e's will be fantastic.

Terribly sorry to hear that.

Don't stress yourself about the Grado choice.  Once the mess is straightened out, get yourself an SR80 and enjoy.

After all, it is just toy for big boys.  We don't really need any of it.  

Sep 8, 2014 at 8:25 AM Post #18,285 of 65,858
  Welp, I missed the chance to buy the sr225i's as my house was robbed and I was dealing with the aftermath. Looks like it wasn't meant to happen. I'm sure the sr80e's will be fantastic.

Sorry to hear about what happened, I am still not sure what must run through one's mind when committing such horrible acts against others. As if they are lacking substance in their lives or something. Hope all is well, and that the robbery was not too bad. Check out the FS/FT forums, I saw a couple of 225i's on there for sale. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back