Grado Fan Club!
Sep 8, 2014 at 8:27 AM Post #18,286 of 65,858

Surprisingly I have ventured out to see what differences between the original SR80 and the SR80i there is. I found the cup was mushroom as opposed to the bowls of the original but nothing else until I stumbled onto a picture from google on the new SR80i and then I saw it. The cup and outer diaphragm is different.
I took a snap of my original SR80 and compared to the new SR80i found on the web (see below)

SR80i

Original SR80's

I wonder sonically what this results in cause I find my SR80 amazing yet what I read when some users compared here on head-fi between SR80i and RS1 they stated to their word that the SR80i was poo but I find that very wrong with my SR80's. I wonder to what extent users/reviewers describe audio and how subjective it really is and whether the wood diaphragm creates more the placebo effect in audio comparisons. As always YMMV but audio commentary is never easy and as I always say trust your ears and hear for yourself if you can.
For the record my Grado SR80's do not sound like poo and this review is more akin to reality. Perhaps in the future I will do a woody on my plastics to hear what all the fuss is about.
Good luck everyone with your audio journeys
L3000.gif

You SR80 photo tripped me out without the button on the air vent, at first I thought it was an Alessandro Music Series 1. :p

Sep 8, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #18,287 of 65,858
I had the sr80i outer cups removed and replaced with the older style cups that don't protrude.

It should be more forward since there's not much for the waves to resonate on (i can't tell for sure) but i did it mainly for the looks

Sep 8, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #18,288 of 65,858
Just got my Grado SR60i today ( third headphones, first Grado)
The seller listed it as new, but actually it used with a little crack on the left cup

Ain't i'm not even mad 
beyersmile.png

Honestly i bought it for $32 shipped on ebay, so it's no-brainer to me.
And because it was used, so i think that it already was burned in a lot, because it's sound so good IMO.

Sep 8, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #18,289 of 65,858
  Just got my Grado SR60i today ( third headphones, first Grado)
The seller listed it as new, but actually it used with a little crack on the left cup

Ain't i'm not even mad 
beyersmile.png

Honestly i bought it for $32 shipped on ebay, so it's no-brainer to me.
And because it was used, so i think that it already was burned in a lot, because it's sound so good IMO.

Hey! Congratulations! Enjoy them! The first Grado I ever listened music through were the original SR60's, and now look where I am :p :p.

Sep 8, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #18,290 of 65,858
Some Monday morning music for all you awesome people! And in case my girlfriend is browsing the forums :) :

Sep 8, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #18,292 of 65,858
  Wow, you're truly a Grado fan 
etysmile.gif

Btw, the sound is so good, but the pads are pain on the ear, i can't stand for them more than 30 mins 
triportsad.gif

Maybe i will buy a replacement pads later.

Some of the kids on the block wash their pads to make them softer and more tolerable. I have done it only once (for the SR125i), but I am weary that the pads degrade quicker when washing them. You have the comfy (non-bowl) pads though, right? (the S-cush).

Sep 8, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #18,293 of 65,858

Some of the kids on the block wash their pads to make them softer and more tolerable. I have done it only once (for the SR125i), but I am weary that the pads degrade quicker when washing them. You have the comfy (non-bowl) pads though, right? (the S-cush).

Yes, it seem to be the S-cush. Not really sure, so here come the picture.

And btw, i don't think wash these pads with water is a good idea, too. Somehow the pads feel like a cat to me, the grumpy one. And cat doesn't like water. lol 
biggrin.gif

Sep 8, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #18,294 of 65,858
Wow, you're truly a Grado fan :etysmile:

Btw, the sound is so good, but the pads are pain on the ear, i can't stand for them more than 30 mins :triportsad:

Maybe i will buy a replacement pads later.

You could try G-cush pads, the ear zonk ones are way softer than the "official" ones.

Sep 8, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #18,296 of 65,858
man, i believe that you're right. BUT, the G-cush pads cost $45 on amazon, and i bought my Grado for just $32 :beyersmile:

Maybe i will try the L-cushion or L-cush pads.

L-cush will work if you've small ears...

Sep 8, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #18,297 of 65,858
the G cush would ruin the sound. the L cush is great imo i much prefer it over the S cush but your ear will rub against the driver housing which your ears get use to over time. i'd buy the pads from grado and not ear zonk the grado ones are better quality.

Sep 8, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #18,298 of 65,858
Seem to like my ears are small enough, so i think that the L-cush will work for me ( and the price's cheap also 
biggrin.gif
 )

I saw that people said it will fit the SR60's and 80's. Just want to confirm, is it true ?

Thanks guys.

Sep 8, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #18,299 of 65,858
  Seem to like my ears are small enough, so i think that the L-cush will work for me ( and the price's cheap also 
biggrin.gif
 )

I saw that people said it will fit the SR60's and 80's. Just want to confirm, is it true ?

Thanks guys.

All the cushions pretty much fit all Grado headphones (not sure about the higher tier e-series). L-cush is in my opinion the best cushion for Grado headphones (in the Prestige Series)

Sep 8, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #18,300 of 65,858
the G cush would ruin the sound. the L cush is great imo i much prefer it over the S cush but your ear will rub against the driver housing which your ears get use to over time. i'd buy the pads from grado and not ear zonk the grado ones are better quality.

I generally buy Grado stuff to go with the headphones. The extra little bit of money you spend on quality and piece of mind are totally worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back