Goldpoint Headphone Pro
Oct 4, 2009 at 2:22 PM Post #166 of 357
Does anyone have any recommendation for a high quality power adapter for us 220V users? I can´t find some anywhere and I have no idea what brands to look for anyway? 2ma it´s supposed to be.

Oct 4, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #167 of 357
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes similar import tax here as well.

You don´t find the 900 get boomy on it. It feels like it has as much bass if not more then my Slee Solo. Which solo do you have btw?

Also do you have any tips of recordings to show off the headphone Pro in particular. Though my ears are ruined since I have to work in -15 degrees and my ears get all cold and icy... Actually hurts a bit trying to listen to music currently. Maybe getting a cold lol

I often listen to these albums:
Brian Bromberg: Downright Upright
Bill Frisell: East West (first CD with the incredible version of "herad it through the grapevine").
Cannonball Adderley: Somethin' Else.
Bill Evans: You must believe in Spring.
Shirley Horn: The main Ingredient.
Buckethead: Colma
GoTan Project: Lunatico

And many more of course.

Oct 4, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #168 of 357
Thanks will see what I can find.

Oct 4, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #169 of 357
Or for something completely different: Led Zeppelin: How the West Was Won.
With PRO900 and Goldpoint at 12 o' clock.
L3000.gif
L3000.gif
L3000.gif
L3000.gif
L3000.gif

Oct 4, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #170 of 357
Will try that lol.

I did another attempt to compare the headphone PRO with the Solo. Should be fully burned in now. Not that I noticed much difference in the burnin process anyway... Maybe I got bad ears but they really do sound 99 % the same with nils Lofgrens black books live on the 900. Maybe I need to follow your advice to unfocus lol.

Gonna have to try the K701 tomorrow and see if thee is any difference whatsoever in overall balance. Also going to continue looking for the adapter. being 12V AC doesn´t make it easier to find in 220DC countries
tongue.gif

Oct 6, 2009 at 1:41 PM Post #171 of 357
Buckethead: Colma was instant love!

Tried the K701 yesterday. Headphone Pro was surely more clinical but then K701 can benefit from some dirt under it´s finger nails. The Solo seemed to have a bit more warmth so I would probably use that for litening to music and headphone Pro listening to details for that one.

Oct 13, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #172 of 357
Got a new transformer now. 100W max should be way more then needed I hope?

I am also wondering if the this is really for me. I find it very often clinical and even anemic with no life to it. I don´t get any more detail at all rather seem to remove detail to give that impression. It´s a bit like the K701 though not that extreme it sounds thin and digital compared to the Slee Solo. Listening to Era which always kept my feet going there is nothing on it while listening on the headphone Pro
frown.gif
. I actually have to bump the volume on the Headphone Pro more then I need on the Slee Solo for the music to start to work.

Classical didn´t impress me as much on the 435S as I remembered on the 450 Pro. Now I think it was due to using the Slee Solo when evaluating the 450 Pro they are not that different.
I suppose to much serious gear may mean less musicality. My Keces DAC is surely quite serious, my headphones as well. And a dead serious amp may be to much.

However seeing history I need a lot of time to accept new amps. Was the same going from the Pimeta to the Heed and the Slee certainly have many more working hours in it. Going from the Heed the Solo felt very cramped in term of soundstage but now it seems somewhat better then the headphone Pro. Not much but seeing the Pro is more silent in between the notes and fasterI thought it should give the impression of a wider soundstage as a result.

My theory is I will get that if I dedicate some 300h listening solely to it to let my brain readapt hopefully that will work. Listened to some drumming the headphone Pro certainly was a bit tighter and more detailed with the drums on honour my father by dreamtheater. So I do suppose they drive the 900 a bit better.

Oct 14, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #173 of 357
Continue my little monologue here.

Today I tried the German Maestro 435S with some Diana Krall live in Paris cd I found in our library.

Here the Headphone Pro really did outclass the Slee Solo which was not expected
smily_headphones1.gif
. The piano just sounded weird and wrong on the Slee Solo and it all got a bit congested.

I don´t know if the Slee Solo is more biased to high impedance headphones like the HD 650? But then the 435S is very efficient it should hardly matter more a question of synergy you would think.

The bass guitar has more presence on the Slee Solo but it´s still there on the headphone Pro and more in tune with the rest.

Dec 5, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #175 of 357
Quote:

Got a new transformer now. 100W max should be way more then needed I hope?

I am also wondering if the this is really for me. I find it very often clinical and even anemic with no life to it. I don´t get any more detail at all rather seem to remove detail to give that impression. It´s a bit like the K701 though not that extreme it sounds thin and digital compared to the Slee Solo. Listening to Era which always kept my feet going there is nothing on it while listening on the headphone Pro
frown.gif
. I actually have to bump the volume on the Headphone Pro more then I need on the Slee Solo for the music to start to work.

Classical didn´t impress me as much on the 435S as I remembered on the 450 Pro. Now I think it was due to using the Slee Solo when evaluating the 450 Pro they are not that different.
I suppose to much serious gear may mean less musicality. My Keces DAC is surely quite serious, my headphones as well. And a dead serious amp may be to much.

However seeing history I need a lot of time to accept new amps. Was the same going from the Pimeta to the Heed and the Slee certainly have many more working hours in it. Going from the Heed the Solo felt very cramped in term of soundstage but now it seems somewhat better then the headphone Pro. Not much but seeing the Pro is more silent in between the notes and fasterI thought it should give the impression of a wider soundstage as a result.

My theory is I will get that if I dedicate some 300h listening solely to it to let my brain readapt hopefully that will work. Listened to some drumming the headphone Pro certainly was a bit tighter and more detailed with the drums on honour my father by dreamtheater. So I do suppose they drive the 900 a bit better.

I find the GP amp to be transparent, uncolored, & very revealing.. I don't get the removing detail part..
confused_face(1).gif
My main problem is volume.. I shouldn't have to crank it up so much for low OHM/highly sensitive headphones like my 25ohm DT48e.. Mine is currently being upgraded with another heat sink & PCB board.. I will post my findings..

Dec 5, 2009 at 10:00 AM Post #176 of 357
Quote:

Does anyone have any recommendation for a high quality power adapter for us 220V users? I can´t find some anywhere and I have no idea what brands to look for anyway? 2ma it´s supposed to be.

I did not use the power supply that comes with the Headphone Pro. Instead, I bought myself a Little Pinkie v3i PSU which was an audiophile grade PSU originally designed to drive some of the Musical Fidelity products.

You may find more information about this execellent PSU here :

Little Pinkie, PSU for Musical Fidelity X-CAN V3

Since I use the Little Pinkie all the time I do not something else to compare to, but all I can say is the Headphone Pro (mine is the vertical version) sounds very very good especially considering the humble price Arn is asking.

I am a believer of power quality. The v3i should have up to 2.5A good quality 12V AC on tap so this should contribute to the sound of the Headphone Pro.

My recent conversation with Arn on the latest version of the PCB is that it would need 1.5A to perform. (Previous versions need 1.0A) So, I suggest the latest (should be final) set of upgrade from Goldpoint would have more drive than the previous versions. And more resolution too, I was told.

Just not sure if I should send back mine, as it has been pretty satisfying so far. The shipment cost both ways is killing me.

F. Lo

Dec 5, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #177 of 357
Quote:

Originally Posted by fkclo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did not use the power supply that comes with the Headphone Pro. Instead, I bought myself a Little Pinkie v3i PSU which was an audiophile grade PSU originally designed to drive some of the Musical Fidelity products.

You may find more information about this execellent PSU here :

Little Pinkie, PSU for Musical Fidelity X-CAN V3

Since I use the Little Pinkie all the time I do not something else to compare to, but all I can say is the Headphone Pro (mine is the vertical version) sounds very very good especially considering the humble price Arn is asking.

I am a believer of power quality. The v3i should have up to 2.5A good quality 12V AC on tap so this should contribute to the sound of the Headphone Pro.

My recent conversation with Arn on the latest version of the PCB is that it would need 1.5A to perform. (Previous versions need 1.0A) So, I suggest the latest (should be final) set of upgrade from Goldpoint would have more drive than the previous versions. And more resolution too, I was told.

Just not sure if I should send back mine, as it has been pretty satisfying so far. The shipment cost both ways is killing me.

F. Lo

Sending mine in was a no brainer since I live 15 miles from his business.. I will let you know how it sounds..

Dec 6, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #178 of 357
shipping costs and the import taxes will hit me by full force again I am afraid. Also my Ultrasones doesn´t need bass boost so I am extra resilient. I love the way it control the bass. Still my Ed 8 have a total other bass punch compared to mating it my receiver... No punch whatsoever there. Tons on the speaker side though lol Seems like most headphone amp manufacturers are trying to boost low bass. Slee Solo marketing every new version with extra deep bass and such. Ultrasones have that feature built in both the Pro 900 and ED 8 so have no need for that. Both these reaches the deepest of the deep already surely.

As for the power adapter I am happy for this place that I never used the original after getting an email about it being unsafe. Now of course I don´t know if my current is safe to use but it´s at least rated for 100W and considerably larger so should be fine I hope.

Dec 11, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #180 of 357
This amp sounds like it would go well with what I listen to (trance). I'm looking for an amp for my D7000's has anyone tried this combination? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back