Goldpoint Headphone Pro
Jan 5, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #197 of 357
I kind of lost this thread so will be off your back about impressions KBI
smily_headphones1.gif
. Now just get that HD 800 if you haven´t already
wink.gif
Does the transport really make all that much of a difference? I can´t use Xbox 360 as a transport since you can´t get bit perfect out. I also don´t like the solution with the optical on the VGA cable it´s like made for loose connections and interference I suppose. I haven´t noticed much changes with digital out of my PS 3 and computer.

I am pretty much the same situation as you Apatn... If you send the It as a warranty repair with a copy of the receipt and then save your copy of the shipping purchase you should be free from custom fees. But you probably have to conversate for two weeks to make them understand that and make sure you still have that copy. Then it´s just the hefty shipping fees and ev western union fees left.

But if it really is a hefty improvement and they don´t make your headphones bassier overall I will consider it. I would hope their claim to boost low bass wouldn´t be true for example. I really don´t want more bass punch either it´s just right currently. Their ability to control bass is the biggest selling argument for them. It´s all still there just quality over quantity. I have a pitch black noise background even with my efficient 35 ohms ED 8 and 435S. Pro 900 may use more power but then they are the ones that the least needs bass boost and resolution upgrades. And I certainly don´t want more volume since there is significant jumps already between the notches. Will have to see if I can mod it but I wonder how much you can mess up your amp by changing volume pot settings?. I tend to be between 20-30 on the amps. 30 is K701 pretty much so not that much room to play with.

I manage to find way more reasons not to "upgrade" then to upgrade I suppose.

Jan 10, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #198 of 357
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Arn is working on my v5 right now. Hope to hear it soon.
I´m not inclined to worry about the clicking when changing volume. It´s what attenuators do.

Have you gotten yours yet?

Jan 11, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #201 of 357
I was just going to ask you whether you got it already. I am interested in the upgrade. After January 20 I have three weeks of absolutely nothing to do. I could visit you with the Goldpoint v2 and we can do a comparo. Also, do I get it that you bought the HE-5?

Jan 11, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #202 of 357
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was just going to ask you whether you got it already. I am interested in the upgrade. After January 20 I have three weeks of absolutely nothing to do. I could visit you with the Goldpoint v2 and we can do a comparo. Also, do I get it that you bought the HE-5?

You're welcome, I'll probably have plenty of time too then.
And, yes, I do have the HE-5. I sold the HD800 and bought the HE-5 and I'm not planning on selling the HE-5 in the foreseeable future.
biggrin.gif

Jan 11, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #203 of 357
Great, would be good for you too. Audio memory can get blurry after a month.
wink.gif
Let's hope the GP matches the HE-5.

Jan 11, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #204 of 357
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I kind of lost this thread so will be off your back about impressions KBI
smily_headphones1.gif
. Now just get that HD 800 if you haven´t already
wink.gif
Does the transport really make all that much of a difference? I can´t use Xbox 360 as a transport since you can´t get bit perfect out. I also don´t like the solution with the optical on the VGA cable it´s like made for loose connections and interference I suppose. I haven´t noticed much changes with digital out of my PS 3 and computer.

I am pretty much the same situation as you Apatn... If you send the It as a warranty repair with a copy of the receipt and then save your copy of the shipping purchase you should be free from custom fees. But you probably have to conversate for two weeks to make them understand that and make sure you still have that copy. Then it´s just the hefty shipping fees and ev western union fees left.

But if it really is a hefty improvement and they don´t make your headphones bassier overall I will consider it. I would hope their claim to boost low bass wouldn´t be true for example. I really don´t want more bass punch either it´s just right currently. Their ability to control bass is the biggest selling argument for them. It´s all still there just quality over quantity. I have a pitch black noise background even with my efficient 35 ohms ED 8 and 435S. Pro 900 may use more power but then they are the ones that the least needs bass boost and resolution upgrades. And I certainly don´t want more volume since there is significant jumps already between the notches. Will have to see if I can mod it but I wonder how much you can mess up your amp by changing volume pot settings?. I tend to be between 20-30 on the amps. 30 is K701 pretty much so not that much room to play with.

I manage to find way more reasons not to "upgrade" then to upgrade I suppose.

The 360 is pretty much crap as a transport.. This based on the DAC 1.. Can't believe how bad it was.. The PS3 is a impressive transport, but I had low expectations coming in.. I hope I pull the trigger on the HD800 when I get my tax return in April.. I'm really driven to compare 1937 technology with the latest technology, 09, HD800.. From what I read, the HD800 does somethings much better then the DT48.. But I will judge both based on their technical merits.. I'm sure the sound stage will be a night & day difference, so I'm really stoked.. & a DT48 owner said the HD800 is faster, but he also added that it seemed artificially fast, so I guess I will have to judge that for myself.. To me the upgrade was worth it.. But I still use my receiver.. It allows me to add treble & increase the highs & lows, which really benefit my DT48.. Bigger sound stage for gaming & movies.. But for any serious & critical listening I go back to the GP.. I also don't like the fact that I have to use a ohm adapter for 4 of my DT48's.. To me the added ohms adds a bit of thickness to the DT48 that I don't really like..

Jan 15, 2010 at 8:06 AM Post #205 of 357
Quote:

You're welcome, I'll probably have plenty of time too then.
And, yes, I do have the HE-5. I sold the HD800 and bought the HE-5 and I'm not planning on selling the HE-5 in the foreseeable future.
biggrin.gif

Maybe few words about the HE-5 compare the the 800 on the GP.
biggrin.gif

Jan 15, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #206 of 357
and T1 perhaps on top of that
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 15, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #207 of 357
I don't have the new GP yet, so it'll have to wait a bit. But I can tell that I didn't particularly like the HD800. The HE5 is more alive. Midrange is fuller and the whole tonal balance is much more lifelike and realistic. The HD800 are more like what you hear in a movie theatre. I never found voices there sound natural....
What the HD800 failed in is solo piano. Tonality is completely wrong there (not imo or to my taste, but plain wrong). The PRO900 get it almost perfect and the HE5 gets it more than decent.
I wish I had a T1. I'm really interested, but I think I'd like a balanced Black Dragon to go with it.... I'm afraid that will have to wait a bit.
In the mean while my Grado Magnum have arrived, and they should match well with the GP as well. The PS1 do, so I expect good things from the combination with the Magnum too.
Lots of reasons for the GoldPoint to arrive SOON.

Jan 16, 2010 at 1:30 AM Post #208 of 357
Quote:

I don't have the new GP yet, so it'll have to wait a bit. But I can tell that I didn't particularly like the HD800. The HE5 is more alive. Midrange is fuller and the whole tonal balance is much more lifelike and realistic. The HD800 are more like what you hear in a movie theatre. I never found voices there sound natural....
What the HD800 failed in is solo piano. Tonality is completely wrong there (not imo or to my taste, but plain wrong). The PRO900 get it almost perfect and the HE5 gets it more than decent.
I wish I had a T1. I'm really interested, but I think I'd like a balanced Black Dragon to go with it.... I'm afraid that will have to wait a bit.
In the mean while my Grado Magnum have arrived, and they should match well with the GP as well. The PS1 do, so I expect good things from the combination with the Magnum too.
Lots of reasons for the GoldPoint to arrive SOON.

How can you make such a statement when audio is subjective.. 10 musical experts can hear the same piano solo & give you 10 different answers.

Jan 16, 2010 at 2:52 AM Post #209 of 357
Kees, why the solo piano failed, I mean how you describe that tonality is completely wrong there. I'm just curios because the 800 in my experience have a lot of weight in the lower octave.

About the lifelike and realistic I'm can guess that you'll like the Fostex T-20 V2.

Jan 16, 2010 at 4:52 AM Post #210 of 357
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How can you make such a statement when audio is subjective.. 10 musical experts can hear the same piano solo & give you 10 different answers.

I know, but I am absolutely sure that any body who hears it side-by-side will agree. Everybody I let it hear agreed. (Angela Hewitt playing Bach was the example I used to demonstrate).
There is just a whole part of the tone missing. It is thin and shallow and does not have the proper timbre. It is also cut short, it finnishes too abruptly. It was actually no point of discussion with any of the persons that heard it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back