Finding a DAC for the Cavalli Liquid Carbon. Only Four Months to Go.
Aug 27, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #991 of 1,423
[snip] The LC, of course, is another example.  Most balanced amps half-ass the SE part (literally, they use half the amp and half the power).  The LC has the phase splitter so that the SE input sounds the same as teh balanced input.  So running the DAC-19 into the SE part of the LC makes it sound just as good as running the GMB into the balanced part of the LC.

One thing that's often quoted in Audio-GD threads is that SE done right can sound as good as balanced.  The NFB-28 and NFB-29 are the same thing but one is built for SE and one is built for balanced.  The SE port on the NFB-29 sounds better than the SE port on the NFB-28 and vice versa with balanced.

So my point is that you can't just say "anything I've heard with both ports sound worse in SE mode" because that could be more of a comment on how those companies implement their SE than on the capabilities of SE in general.

[snip]

I think you put this very well.  Done right there should be zero difference.  As we all know balanced is really useful for long runs in electrically noisy environments which is not usually we most of us listen to music (subways could be an exception here).  I have no argument that many SE outputs are an afterthought of design.  What you did not mention is that many balanced outputs aren't really balanced designs.  That should make no difference either but people are hearing differences. 

My reason for wanting balanced and SE on everything I own is a little different.  Although I concede that there are excellent SE connectors, I like the balanced connectors better for making a good solid contact and staying where you put them.  Secondly, I like the flexibility of having either connection and always being able to connect one thing to another.  Examples are having a balanced output and a hard-wired SE earphone.  Schiit Mjolnir for example only has balanced inputs and outputs.  I didn't buy one because of that.  They have now fixed that on M-2.

Aug 27, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #992 of 1,423
Yeah, don't get me wrong, I am happy to have more flexibility if that's an option.  I just wanted to be clear that if going SE was the only way to get it sounding good and in the proper size and price range, that's not necessarily the end of the world.  

And while the LC doesn't super care if you use SE or Balanced inputs, most other amps do.  It's obviously in Dr. Cavalli's best interests to tick as many of the marketing boxes as he can.

Aug 27, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #993 of 1,423

That'd be very likely to break all kinds of non-disclosure agreements, should he have such a device. :p

Honestly, I'm just trying to make @warrenpchi 's phone ping over and over again so he get's zinged with international cell rates....

Aug 27, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #994 of 1,423
  Yeah, don't get me wrong, I am happy to have more flexibility if that's an option.  I just wanted to be clear that if going SE was the only way to get it sounding good and in the proper size and price range, that's not necessarily the end of the world.  

And while the LC doesn't super care if you use SE or Balanced inputs, most other amps do.  It's obviously in Dr. Cavalli's best interests to tick as many of the marketing boxes as he can.

we're on the same page.  I was indeed happy to see the flexibility of outputs on the LC.  And I think we're all convinced Cavalli is going to do it right if they do it at all.

Aug 27, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #995 of 1,423

Honestly, I'm just trying to make @warrenpchi 's phone ping over and over again so he get's zinged with international cell rates....

Good idea!

Kind of like that scene in the Hitchhiker's Guide book when he bankrupts the guy by having his spaceship call back to Earth for the time hack...

Aug 27, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #996 of 1,423
  Good idea!

Kind of like that scene in the Hitchhiker's Guide book when he bankrupts the guy by having his spaceship call back to Earth for the time hack...

But what if Warren has international data in his cellular package, a la T-Mobile's Simple Choice offerings? Plans: foiled.

Aug 27, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #997 of 1,423

But what if Warren has international data in his cellular package, a la T-Mobile's Simple Choice offerings? Plans: foiled.

He's just enough of a troll to do it too!

Aug 27, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #999 of 1,423
My $0.02 on CEntrance vs LH Labs...have the GEEK OUT Special Edition and the CEntrance M8...not that far apart in price. M8 infinitely more flexible than the GO SE. SQ wise, again they're is no comparison; the GO SE KILLS the M8 SQ wise imo. Hardly ever use the M8, despite it having more potential uses. This is more expensive than the basic CEntrance or GO, and I can't comment relative sound of the basic models (I did wind up with the Special Edition BECAUSE I really liked the sound of the Geek Out 1k).

Aug 27, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #1,000 of 1,423
I'll be using my M8 as a DAC for my LC.  At least until I decide what desktop DAC (or music server) to purchase....

If its not a good pairing, I'll definitely share so...

Aug 27, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #1,001 of 1,423
My M8 experience has not been so great, but I am in the minority, at least from what I read. Tyll loved it (which had a lot to do with my jumping in when it was on Massdrop). Actually brought it along on vacation to give it a bit of a chance away from home (also brought the Geek Out 1K). But, when it comes time to listen, I've just been too lazy, and just use my Pono (which I love).

Aug 27, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #1,004 of 1,423
It appears you love the sabre sound.  I prefer a well implemented AKM over the Sabre's from the devices that I have heard.  How does the pono sound compared to your go se?

Y'know, I use the Pono and the GO SE so differently, I've never compared or thought about it. I know "sabre sound" is an epithet around here these days. I've always been of the opinion that the implementation was as important as the component used. Think lots of the improved sound of the GO SE is from the femto clock and hand matching of components. And the Pono is just relaxed, and the (hateful) "musical" kind of sound. It's probably what I currently listen to the most, because, after many years as an audiophile, I love being free of the tyranny of the sweet spot and the PC!

(when I get home from vacation I can compare GO SE and Pono sound-wise...I suspect I'll like the GO SE out of my Regen better, but I could report in. Probably still continue to use the Pono most. Hey, the sound of my Linn turntable is best of all...and I use it least of all).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back