Finding a DAC for the Cavalli Liquid Carbon. Only Four Months to Go.
Aug 27, 2015 at 7:36 AM Post #976 of 1,423
The Lite DAC60 also has some really good rep.

Just looked it up. Great looking unit - PCM1704 R/2R, tube analogue output, $398 USD (cattylink.com), roomy chassis..... what's not to like. Good impressions from users it seems.

Great find. :)

Aug 27, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #977 of 1,423
Just looked it up. Great looking unit - PCM1704 R/2R, tube analogue output, $398 USD (cattylink.com), roomy chassis..... what's not to like. Good impressions from users it seems.

Great find. :)

I was tempted to get and mod it too and then I started my Soekris project...my wallet started dying after that.

Aug 27, 2015 at 8:26 AM Post #978 of 1,423
Anyone try the LC with the Gustard X12?

Aug 27, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #979 of 1,423
Sounds like a lot of people just want a shrunk down DAC-19. I used to own a DAC-19 and I loved it. One of the memorable parts of my audio journey. 

However, personally I think balanced is a must especially since the LC is balanced as well. It would be crazy not to leverage this. 

Maybe it's just me. Every time I experience a SE vs balanced on the same dac or amp the balanced mode kills the SE one. While I also own some nice SE amps and stuff like the Bakoon amps are awesome single ended, I'd prefer a balanced one if possible. 

R2R (DAC-19 does this quite well for SE but it's a fair bit bigger than LC), Dual Mono D-S (Pulse XFi already does this quite well but it's only sub $1000 if you find it second hand) or multi-bit; I don't really mind as long as it sounds very good. 

I'm pretty happy with my Pulse Infinity but if Cavalli comes up with something interesting, I'd definitely consider it. 

Price definitely needs to be sub 1k and if possible close to LC price. However, if the DAC is out of this world good then maybe something up to 1.2k is worth considering. There's no real point doing what others have already done unless it is significantly superior or cheaper.  

Aug 27, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #980 of 1,423
....if only @warrenpchi (the Tressel and the Trollderator) could throw out a teaser pic of the prototype he may or may not be listening to.

Aug 27, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #982 of 1,423
That'd be very likely to break all kinds of non-disclosure agreements, should he have such a device. :p

I think if cavalli (only known as an amp manufacturer primarily) is actually really planning on releasing a pairing dac for the liquid carbon, it wld be wisest to announce as soon as possible their intentions as many of us are alrdy looking to pull the trigger on an alternative dac option.

Aug 27, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #983 of 1,423
  Sounds like a lot of people just want a shrunk down DAC-19. I used to own a DAC-19 and I loved it. One of the memorable parts of my audio journey. 

However, personally I think balanced is a must especially since the LC is balanced as well. It would be crazy not to leverage this. 

Maybe it's just me. Every time I experience a SE vs balanced on the same dac or amp the balanced mode kills the SE one. While I also own some nice SE amps and stuff like the Bakoon amps are awesome single ended, I'd prefer a balanced one if possible. 

R2R (DAC-19 does this quite well for SE but it's a fair bit bigger than LC), Dual Mono D-S (Pulse XFi already does this quite well but it's only sub $1000 if you find it second hand) or multi-bit; I don't really mind as long as it sounds very good. 

I'm pretty happy with my Pulse Infinity but if Cavalli comes up with something interesting, I'd definitely consider it. 

Price definitely needs to be sub 1k and if possible close to LC price. However, if the DAC is out of this world good then maybe something up to 1.2k is worth considering. There's no real point doing what others have already done unless it is significantly superior or cheaper.  

The bolded part is an important point because it's potentially misleading.  Often times gear that's designed for balanced operation just sounds worse out of SE because SE is an afterthought.  For example, the GMB sounds noticeably worse out of its SE ports.  However, the balanced GMB sounds VERY close to the SE DAC-19 out of the LC.  

The LC, of course, is another example.  Most balanced amps half-ass the SE part (literally, they use half the amp and half the power).  The LC has the phase splitter so that the SE input sounds the same as teh balanced input.  So running the DAC-19 into the SE part of the LC makes it sound just as good as running the GMB into the balanced part of the LC.

One thing that's often quoted in Audio-GD threads is that SE done right can sound as good as balanced.  The NFB-28 and NFB-29 are the same thing but one is built for SE and one is built for balanced.  The SE port on the NFB-29 sounds better than the SE port on the NFB-28 and vice versa with balanced.

So my point is that you can't just say "anything I've heard with both ports sound worse in SE mode" because that could be more of a comment on how those companies implement their SE than on the capabilities of SE in general.

....if only @warrenpchi (the Tressel and the Trollderator) could throw out a teaser pic of the prototype he may or may not be listening to.

Warren is in London for the next week or so, so I wouldn't expect much in the way of interaction from him for a bit.

Aug 27, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #984 of 1,423
I think if cavalli (only known as an amp manufacturer primarily) is actually really planning on releasing a pairing dac for the liquid carbon, it wld be wisest to announce as soon as possible their intentions as many of us are alrdy looking to pull the trigger on an alternative dac option.

Isn't that what he just did a couple pages back?

Aug 27, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #985 of 1,423

Based on the fact that Dr. Cavalli has recently asked about what we'd like to see in a DAC, I doubt we'll see a final version of the theoretical project any time soon. My suggestion would be to find a DAC that you love right now and then maybe sell it later, should a Cavalli DAC be released. As an early adopter, I know it's not always best to keep holding out for "the next big thing" and to simply buy something to keep you company until then.

That said, if there is indeed a DAC in the works, I'd sure love to know! :D

Aug 27, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #986 of 1,423
Well as a less costly alternative the DACport HD will be released soon. It utilizes the akm4490 Dac pushes 470mW into a 50 ohm load and has a lineout. It should be a nice hold me over until the LC shows up and even after when using it as a Dac to feed the LC. Plus it is only 199 from centrance direct or 175 if you back it on indiegogo.

Aug 27, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #987 of 1,423
Well as a less costly alternative the DACport HD will be released soon. It utilizes the akm4490 Dac pushes 470mW into a 50 ohm load and has a lineout. It should be a nice hold me over until the LC shows up and even after when using it as a Dac to feed the LC. Plus it is only 199 from centrance direct or 175 if you back it on indiegogo.

What about the $99 DACport Slim? Neither look to be up my alley, but may be ideal for some.

Aug 27, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #988 of 1,423
24 bit 192 max and no dsd opposed to 32 bit 384 with dsd. Among a lot of other differences as well, the HD has a higher dynamic range, lower thd, higher voltage and power to name a few. IMHO the HD is well worth the extra $$$$$.

For the price of what the 450go ran at retail the HD is a no brainer as its power is similar to the 750go. If the implementation is as good as the original DACport which I suspect it will be or better it should sound better than the GO's. The original DACport is still a great setup, form factor aside.

Aug 27, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #989 of 1,423

Have we not yet learned our lesson about backing things on Indiegogo/Kickstarter and expecting... well anything?  There's a big difference between backing a campaign and pre-ordering equipment, legally speaking.  Campaigns are not actually required to give you ANYTHING in return, should **** hit the proverbial fan.  Pre-orders can and must be refunded.

All that aside, if you're looking for something to hold you over until the Cavalli DAC comes out, why would you buy something that also isn't out yet?  lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back