Finding a DAC for the Cavalli Liquid Carbon. Only Four Months to Go.
Aug 26, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #946 of 1,423
  Should be a lot more impressions of the ETHER C coming after this weekend.  I can't wait to get it on my ears again.  <3

Same, that's half the reason I'm going to CanJam 
redface.gif

Aug 26, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #947 of 1,423
i think 600$ is a bit of a stretch for R2R. perhaps 1K and up seems like more realistic price for all the features people are suggesting.

Maybe we can have a cheaper D/S variant and a more expensive R2R variant.That way we can satisfy the needs of most people. imo I think it's best to try and keep a similar (or ideally identical) form factor as the carbon, since they're being designed to go hand in hand. 

Then after the colossal success of Dr Cavalli's first production DAC he'll work on the DAC to end all DAC's and @warrenpchi
 can die happy

I really dont get the r2r over a well implemented d-s. And yes, I have heared them both.. Alot of hype.

Aug 26, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #948 of 1,423
I think balanced is a must. Form factor will follow the LC but what if someone wanted to use the DAC with another amp that doesn't have a phase splitter? The LC has 3 different inputs for a reason. Makes no sense to bring a product that almost requires a specific other to be used properly (especially if the LC run stops at 500).

The only way this is going to happen is if Alex finds (or perhaps he already has) a way to implement balanced R2R at a lower price.

Like someone else mentioned, there's no shortage of TOTL dacs in different sizes on the market. I already found an upcoming, minimalist, balanced DAC with almost the exact same dimensions as the LC but its a Sabre dac.

k
why would he have a balanced input if he wasnt going to supply a balanced output on his matching dac. It is a must.

Aug 26, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #949 of 1,423
Same, that's half the reason I'm going to CanJam :xf_eek:
p

Just got a call from my dealer. Wantedto know if i wanted o change my order to the closed ethers.He said it would be faster.
It's a no for me as I like soundstage.

Aug 26, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #950 of 1,423
Here's my extremely reasonable requests :beyersmile:

1) Same or only similar dimensions to the LC

2) Same price as the LC

3) Have USB for input

4) Lineout without volume control

5) R2R Dac

That's it! I have no need for balanced (due to LC's phase splitter), DSD or any other high res format (I only use 16bit 44.1 PCM), and while I can certainly use optical as an input option, I think USB is more common.

Of course, if the good Doc can hit the same price point but still throw in more functions, by all means!

If its the same price as the LC im buying it anyways. Ds or r2r

Aug 26, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #951 of 1,423
You are definately in the minority regarding R2R, to get a Delta Sigma that is a sonic equal you need to go to very expensive DACs.

Aug 26, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #952 of 1,423
p

Just got a call from my dealer. Wantedto know if i wanted o change my order to the closed ethers.He said it would be faster.
It's a no for me as I like soundstage.

Might want to read what I wrote about the ETHER C's soundstage...

Aug 26, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #953 of 1,423
Might want to read what I wrote about the ETHER C's soundstage...

I did read it, and it almost swayed me, as I really respect your views. I just really loved them Ethers when I tried them. I can always sell my lcd2.2 pf plus some cash and get the closed back too.

Aug 26, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #954 of 1,423
I'm with everyone else on this r2r when done right is great.  If cavalli can make one that matches the LC I'm in, up too $800 (single ended) $1000 if balanced. Unless he uses a pcm1704 or a tda1543 I'm not a big fan of those.  Else I'll stick with my transdac.

You guys are barking up the wrong tree.  Any non-amp wouldn't be liquid, it'd be something else!

Solid Carbon
Gaseous Carbon
Plasma Carbon
etc.

liquid only for amps huh?

ok then I go for solid snake
220px-Mgsart2_solidsnake.png

Aug 26, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #955 of 1,423
k
why would he have a balanced input if he wasnt going to supply a balanced output on his matching dac. It is a must.

You're assuming the DAC will match the LC but we don't know that. I bet Alex didn't even decide to do a DAC until he saw how large this thread got.

I want a balanced Cavalli DAC too but only half of Cavalli's 6 amps (if u add the upcoming portable) are balanced so its not guaranteed.

Aug 26, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #956 of 1,423
You're assuming the DAC will match the LC but we don't know that. I bet Alex didn't even decide to do a DAC until he saw how large this thread got.

I want a balanced Cavalli DAC too but only half of Cavalli's 6 amps (if u add the upcoming portable) are balanced so its not guaranteed.

True, I was assuming., but I hope Im right

Aug 26, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #957 of 1,423
You are definately in the minority regarding R2R, to get a Delta Sigma that is a sonic equal you need to go to very expensive DACs.

Any r2rs that I have personally seen have a huge footprint. Im out, just on that alone. I would rather pay more for a well implemented ds with a small footprint. JMO

Aug 26, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #958 of 1,423
You guys want an r2r dac at 6x6 inches under 800 dollars. Good luck baby!!!

Aug 26, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #959 of 1,423
That makes sense, though a couple Guys on the R2R Thread just pointed out a couple portable R2R DAPs. Also Schiit should eventually have an R2R upgrade board for the Bifrost. Lots of great DACs out there, preference is entirely subjective.:beers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back