Finding a DAC for the Cavalli Liquid Carbon. Only Four Months to Go.
Aug 28, 2015 at 1:19 AM Post #1,021 of 1,423
Aug 28, 2015 at 1:30 AM Post #1,022 of 1,423
Well, price and slightly better resolution went to the DAC-19, but the tonal match with LC would seem to go to GMB. Which is probably why he couldn't call a "winner".

Aug 28, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #1,023 of 1,423
I'd be perfectly happy with either. But since I have both and don't need both, one will have to go. All other thing equal, I'll probably end up keeping the cheaper one.

Aug 28, 2015 at 4:01 AM Post #1,024 of 1,423
I'd be perfectly happy with either. But since I have both and don't need both, one will have to go. All other thing equal, I'll probably end up keeping the cheaper one.

Can't say I'll bat an eye-lid in surprise if you were to opt for the cheaper one...  Nothing personal against the GMB, but 400+ smackers of savings in this nutty hobby, and in this economy, ain't mere chump change for some of us...  And talking about "some of us," I feel broke already, even before thinking of buying another DAC -- broke from coin I have already splurged on the LC and other audio gadgets this Summer...

That said, I see from your review that the DAC-19 would suit me just fine were I to decide to pull the trigger today...  The only new "wrinkle" in the chain that could stay my hand would be all this sudden new talk about the  Cavalli DAC, a totally hypothetical phantom of a DAC which did not even exist on any head-fi radar just one week ago as far as I can tell... Yeah, it's a crazy merry-go-round of unending surprises in this world of headphone gadgets, but I can't say it is boring at all...

Aug 28, 2015 at 4:10 AM Post #1,025 of 1,423
C'mon Stillhart, just admit you prefer the tonality of the DAC-19. :D

As far as price differences the GMB also has upgradeable USB modules as well as both the DAC/analogue modules which are more expensive to implement. Also, as Stillhart mentioned, some amps are terrible with SE so the balanced out from the GMB may be the better solution for some.

Aug 28, 2015 at 5:38 AM Post #1,026 of 1,423
C'mon @Stillhart, just admit you prefer the tonality of the DAC-19.
biggrin.gif

As far as price differences the GMB also has upgradeable USB modules as well as both the DAC/analogue modules which are more expensive to implement. Also, as Stillhart mentioned, some amps are terrible with SE so the balanced out from the GMB may be the better solution for some.

Could you kindly elaborate a little bit more on the relative utility or advantages of the upgradeable USB modules, and the DAC/analogue modules for the sake of those of us whose technical knowledge of such niceties is a little challenged?  In other words, what other extra possible benefits do they bring to the table that are lacking in the DAC-19? Thanks in advance.

Aug 28, 2015 at 6:53 AM Post #1,027 of 1,423
Could you kindly elaborate a little bit more on the relative utility or advantages of the upgradeable USB modules, and the DAC/analogue modules for the sake of those of us whose technical knowledge of such niceties is a little challenged?  In other words, what other extra possible benefits do they bring to the table that are lacking in the DAC-19? Thanks in advance.

Both the DAC-19 and the GMB can change out the USB input module. However, for example, Schiit has released a DAC/analogue upgrade to the Bifrost to bring it up to their newest version called the Bifrost Uber. The Gungnir can be upgraded to the Gungnir multibit and the Gungnir and Gungnir multibit can upgrade the DAC/analogue module (as stated in the FAQ section on their website) module down the line if Schiit comes out with a new one.

It's a more difficult and costly way to design and implement a piece of gear this way but it saves the consumer from having to buy a completely new unit when they update their Schiit. At the end of the day the upgraded modules are simply released to improve sound quality over the previous module.

Check out their upgrades here, straight Schiit from the source:

http://schiit.com/products/uber-analog

http://schiit.com/products/usb-gen-2

http://schiit.com/products/gungnir-multibit

Aug 28, 2015 at 9:17 AM Post #1,029 of 1,423

Thanks for those impressions. I was really curious about the GMB. 

What headphone(s) were you using? 

Aug 28, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #1,030 of 1,423
C'mon @Stillhart, just admit you prefer the tonality of the DAC-19.
biggrin.gif

Using terms like "musical" vs "analytical" is pretty standard fare on head-fi, which is why I chose those words.  I could also have said "syrupy" vs "crisp" and it would mean the same thing but imply that one is better than the other.  It's not meant to imply that I prefer the "musical" one since that's the word with nicer connotations.  Some people love the "analytical" Schiit sound and some people prefer the "musical" sound of other brands.

And BTW, the USB in the DAC-19 is upgradeable as well.  

Thanks for those impressions. I was really curious about the GMB. 

What headphone(s) were you using? 

Mostly been testing with my HE-560 but also did some testing with the ZMF Blackwood as well.

Aug 28, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #1,032 of 1,423
As someone who has no DAC waiting for the arrival of the LC. I really hope this gets announced soon with price.

I wouldn't hold your breath.  If Dr. Cavalli is still asking for requests for features, there's a good chance he's still in the early planning stages.

Aug 28, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #1,034 of 1,423
Both the DAC-19 and the GMB can change out the USB input module. However, for example, Schiit has released a DAC/analogue upgrade to the Bifrost to bring it up to their newest version called the Bifrost Uber. The Gungnir can be upgraded to the Gungnir multibit and the Gungnir and Gungnir multibit can upgrade the DAC/analogue module (as stated in the FAQ section on their website) module down the line if Schiit comes out with a new one.

It's a more difficult and costly way to design and implement a piece of gear this way but it saves the consumer from having to buy a completely new unit when they update their Schiit. At the end of the day the upgraded modules are simply released to improve sound quality over the previous module.

Check out their upgrades here, straight Schiit from the source:

http://schiit.com/products/uber-analog

http://schiit.com/products/usb-gen-2

http://schiit.com/products/gungnir-multibit

Understood.  Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back