FiiO X5 preview world tour--tour members, claim your souvenir for the X5 tour! p.123
Jan 17, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #286 of 1,895
So, do you have any quick initial impressions? How does it sound like - flat like ibasso dx50 or mid-bass hump like fiio x3? Ofc it is expected to sound better than both and priced accordingly but I mean the sound signature - which of these is Fiio X5 is closer to?

Jan 17, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #288 of 1,895
Lol bowei you have a panda pic for every occasion! :D

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 17, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #289 of 1,895
Lol bowei you have a panda pic for every occasion!
biggrin.gif

Oh, do I?

Do you know if the X5 has a DIY or changeable UI background?

I want to use Yui for my BKG

Jan 17, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #290 of 1,895
As promised.... first impressions

-- Sound
Less detail, neutral sound. Warmer, bass is more defined.
Sounds better than the X3? Yes

-- Player and screen
Great construction. As how it feel in your hand, feels good, a bit on the heavy side.
At the very first use I was somewhat disappointed by the screen, mostly because it gives the impression it will use all the area, but the screen really is 4:3 and not the 16:9 aspect area in which is located.

-- UI
Speed wise, about the same as the X3, I would expect better/faster response.
Wheel is definitely an improvement. No option to change the speed/sensibility of it.
Options are pretty much the same as the ones on the X3.
Library sorting is the same as the X3, which is not the best.

-- Storage
Sandisk 64GB Micro SDCard format as FAT32 worked flawless. Same for a Samsung 64GB Pro card.
It took 4 min and 36 seconds to index a full 64GB card with 2269 files to the library.

-- Files (and more sound)
FLAC files: Comparing to the X3, the sound difference between 16 bit to 24 bit FLAC's is way easier to notice. Amazing sound.
MP3 files: Background/decoding noise is still there but less noticeable.
No playlist support.

-- Other
No hangs/freezes after 6 hours of continuous use.
Only tried with V-Sonic's GR07 BE

Jan 17, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #294 of 1,895
reihead: Are you saying the X5's sound is even warmer and less neutral than X3? That is not good.

I very much extremely doubt that will be the case. Right from the beginning, James has been saying the X5 will be tuned to be more 'neutral', as it is intended to be a more serious audiophile-oriented DAP.

I'm guessing reihead's use of the term 'warm', within the context of his first impressions, more probably relates to the X5 perhaps having quite a 'full-bodied' sound.

I'm like you, though, jj69, I'm hoping the X5 won't have a noticeably coloured sound.

Jan 17, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #296 of 1,895
I very much extremely doubt that will be the case. Right from the beginning, James has been saying the X5 will be tuned to be more 'neutral', as it is intended to be a more serious audiophile-oriented DAP.

I'm guessing reihead's use of the term 'warm', within the context of his first impressions, more probably relates to the X5 perhaps having quite a 'full-bodied' sound.

I'm like you, though, jj69, I'm hoping the X5 won't have a noticeably coloured sound.

[rule]

I am hoping for neutral too...could have been the iems he used. One Japanese review (read via Google Translate, so take it with a pinch of salt) seemed to suggest that the unit allowed headphones and isms to show their own coloration without imposing any of its own...

Guess we need more reviews :)

Jan 17, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #297 of 1,895
-- UI
Speed wise, about the same as the X3, I would expect better/faster response.
Wheel is definitely an improvement. No option to change the speed/sensibility of it.
Options are pretty much the same as the ones on the X3.
Library sorting is the same as the X3, which is not the best.

Quick question!

How does the wheel compare to scrolling through files with the X3, faster?
How about scrubbing through long songs (like say an hour-long podcast)?

Jan 17, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #300 of 1,895
why isn't the entire screen used ? a pity... the screen also looks less vibrant and more washed out than the x3 ?

Looks that way because the album covers are in the background of the ui. The items on the foreground looks great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back