e-earphone Akihabara Tokyo Headphone Festival December 2013
Dec 25, 2013 at 4:29 AM Post #16 of 32
I could have mis-heard and he could have said "multiple driver". I'll email and check. It isn't a holiday here.

Dec 25, 2013 at 6:10 AM Post #17 of 32
The Coffman Labs HA-1 headphone/line level preamp sold for $2,295 earlier this year from Echo Audio, I know as I purchased one configured for 220-240 VAC. Dan Coffman is currently revising the HA-1 to allow wider impedance matching, presumably via a switch as seen on the Cypher Labs amp.

Cheers.  

Quote:
  Do you know if Cypherlabs added any of their own engineering to this unit or if they are basically paying Coffman to do a tube amp with their name on it?  It looks super similar.  (But the price is nicer than the previous Coffman offering.)

6L50 is a very interesting choice, I have never heard of it used for an an audio product, they'd use a 6L6.  Would be nice to know his reasons for going with it over the much more ubiquitous 6L6 (they have different sockets.)

Dec 26, 2013 at 6:26 AM Post #19 of 32
Thanks for posting guys I enjoyed the read!

Dec 26, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #20 of 32
"I had a brief listen to the very dark-sounding Cardas Ear Speakers. They reminded me a little of the FAD metal models, but with a more regular sound signature."

I'll just put it out there that I don't really agree with this for anyone owning one and considering to purchase the other.

Lots of interesting stuff in here though.

Dec 27, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #21 of 32
Oh nice! I'm always happy to hear Audio Technica showing off their wood <3, hoping to get to hear and buy my self a W5k. I countinue to hear a lot of good things about it :D 

Dec 28, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #24 of 32
Is that much different from the Coffman Labs G1-A? o.0
Well this has been discussed already. For one, Cypherlabs Prautes will be selling for $3499 vs Coffman's $5495. $2000 difference is a little too much for OEM I'd say?

Anyway I'm off my phone ATM, but I know I've written the differences in some post somewhere & will re-link to this post if you don't find it in search.

Dec 28, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #25 of 32
[

See if I can jump in here with regards the Cyperlabs Prautes.

The tube amp was done in collaboration with Coffmanlabs but there are quite a few differences even though they look similar. The Prautes uses 4x6L50 tubes & (dang forgot the 2xgain tubes). It supports balanced and unbalanced output but as Currawong mentioned the balanced output were male when they should be female (this will be fixed in production version). There's also a speaker output tap at the back. It supports 4x unbalanced inputs (one of them from the front). There's also 5x levels of impedance settings from IEMs to 600ohm HD800-type cans. I didn't ask about the settings for each level. The starting price is $3499 with a few optional upgrades announced later.

They sounded quite nice but I was using the default Sennheiser HD600 cans which I'm not familiar with.

Oh, I didn't see this. XD

Dec 28, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #26 of 32
Oh, I didn't see this. XD

NP...here it is: http://www.head-fi.org/t/696250/e-earphone-akihabara-tokyo-headphone-festival-december-2013#post_10095305

Jan 1, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #29 of 32
This is the first I've heard about Fostex making planars. They're definitely something I'd be interested in buying.

Fostex made the TR50p Planars which are famous for being modded as the Alpha Dogs, Mad Dogs, and the other one I forget

Jan 2, 2014 at 4:43 AM Post #30 of 32
Fostex made the TR50p Planars which are famous for being modded as the Alpha Dogs, Mad Dogs, and the other one I forget

You're right, I keep forgetting about them. I wonder if the new Fostex planars will be aimed at that segment of the market currently dominated by Audeze and Hifiman. It would be nice to see other manufacturers making orthodynamics in that price bracket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back