Did anyone realize how cheap the Klipsch IMAGE is?
Aug 26, 2008 at 12:15 AM Post #76 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by mdork /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One last plug for Soundearphones because they were very helpful and accommodating. I will definitely buy from them again.

Dork out.

I agree, they are outstanding and I highly recommend them. Their packaging is second to none.

Aug 26, 2008 at 12:28 AM Post #77 of 97
Thanks for the review/comparison. The X10s I ordered are coming Wednesday, and I am looking forward to them. Sound preference is a personal thing, I guess, as some Head-Fiers who have both (or tried both) rate the Sleeks and the X10s pretty closely. Considering I am looking to own two pair of IEMs, the X10s sound like a good choice. I do like the mid-forward Sleek sound, especially on some music. And the bass mod really gave Sleeks another dimension.

Not sure if you tried it, but it does have impact.

As for comfort, I look forward to trying the X10s, but I plan on using the same basic tips I have used with the Sleeks, Comply foamies, so that should be an issue, as a tip is a tip (and I am not a fan of silicone sleeves, cause they make my ears itch).

One other small aspect to the Sleeks in my view is the wireless option, if it ever happens. To me, the idea of no wires is very appealing. Images won't have that option.

Looking forward to listening to the Images.

Quote:

Ok...here we go. X10s arrived today (thanks again to Matt at soundearphones for the quick shipping and awesome price). All comments listed are FME (for my ears).

Packaging: super annoying to open...cant help but think the phones look like "swimmers"...if you know what i mean

First impression is centered on the massive increase in comfort over the SA6. These things are amazingly comfy. They disappear in your ears. I'm impresed.

For lucifix, the microphonics are actually not bad for a non-over-the-earer. I was REALLY worried about it because the CX300 is horrendous but I am pleasantly surprised. Definitely worse than SA6 in OTE configuration but maybe a bit better or same in the regular dangle config.

Played a wide range of music and did some back2back with SA6 and I am keeping the X10s....the SA6 will go back. I dont need the extra treble and "airiness" of the SA6 and the X10 have a much richer sound. It may be colored and/or not as neutral but I really don't care....my ears love it. People who had CX300 (like me) and are looking for a similar sound signature but with much improved sound/dynamics I strongly recommend these little things. I had my wife try both and she was barely impressed with the SA6 but did a "holy crap these are incredible" to the X10...I think the bass is really what hits you out of the box. The bass is NOT muddy and there is still great detail w/ a bit less separation than the SA6 but still great. I am officially done looking at headphones....although I might get the X5s now to compare and give one set to my wife. we will see...

One last plug for Soundearphones because they were very helpful and accommodating. I will definitely buy from them again.

Dork out.

Aug 26, 2008 at 12:44 AM Post #78 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the review/comparison. The X10s I ordered are coming Wednesday, and I am looking forward to them. Sound preference is a personal thing, I guess, as some Head-Fiers who have both (or tried both) rate the Sleeks and the X10s pretty closely. Considering I am looking to own two pair of IEMs, the X10s sound like a good choice. I do like the mid-forward Sleek sound, especially on some music. And the bass mod really gave Sleeks another dimension.

Not sure if you tried it, but it does have impact.

As for comfort, I look forward to trying the X10s, but I plan on using the same basic tips I have used with the Sleeks, Comply foamies, so that should be an issue, as a tip is a tip (and I am not a fan of silicone sleeves, cause they make my ears itch).

One other small aspect to the Sleeks in my view is the wireless option, if it ever happens. To me, the idea of no wires is very appealing. Images won't have that option.

Looking forward to listening to the Images.

I didn't do the bass mod...I just figured if it was that simple Sleek would have shipped em that way. I know lots of people swear by it but it really doesn't matter at this point because I could not get the Sleeks to be comfy in my ears with the included tips. I could have stuck a staple in it, bought foamies and messed with my EQ but to be honest it doesn't seem like I should have to when the freaking things cost $200. I'm very curious and interested to see if they pull of the wireless thing...now that would be VERY cool!

Listening to some Flight of the Conchords right now...seems like there's a mini Jermaine and Brett in my brain putting on a concert.

One thing I forgot to mention. I was seriously put off by the marketing BS the Klipsch people puked out for the X10s...specifically this line: "Status symbol products such as the iPod have played a major role in making technology fashionable in recent years, making it necessary to develop a stylish audio accouterments that can bring better sound to in-vogue listeners." Man...reading that seriously makes me NOT want to buy them...and I never ever would have if not for all the great info on head-fi. So if anyone from Klipsch is reading this (and not the marketing person)...fire your marketing guy and donate to head-fi!
wink.gif

Aug 26, 2008 at 12:44 AM Post #79 of 97
The main problem with the customs is not the sound is the fit, for me for example I can not wear them becasue my ear shape, they do not go deep enough for me, the main reason I trade them for a pair of X10 in CanJAm with the guys at Klipsch...

Aug 26, 2008 at 1:18 AM Post #80 of 97
Understand about the modding, EQ, foamies, etc. None are problems for some, if they deliver the right sound sig. But others want out of the box phones, plain and simple.

I never used the Sleek tips either, but don't mind buying foamies.

As for the bass+ mod, my guess is that Sleek will be adding another bass port at some point, based on such a simple change.

Either way, you got the phones you wanted and Head-Fi helped.

I know the Kleer technology being used with the Sleeks is the same as with the Senn wireless IEMs, which are $500, so I hope it pans out. After the mods, the tip changes and a very little EQing, having the wireless functionality would be very sweet.

Since I expect to keep both phones, assuming I find the X10s are good as you and others do, I can't really lose.

As an example of differences in ears, I have two experienced Head-Fi contacts who PM'd me that they sent the X10s back because they thought they were harsh...not always, but on some tracks, styles of music, etc.

One now owns the TF10s, the other the Sleeks.

Go figure.

As for the Klipsch marketing blather, I'm with you on that. And I never would pay $350 for phones, especially ones described as "stylish audio accouterments that can bring better sound to in-vogue listeners." Wow, sounds like a fashion writer on acid.

Quote:

I didn't do the bass mod...I just figured if it was that simple Sleek would have shipped em that way. I know lots of people swear by it but it really doesn't matter at this point because I could not get the Sleeks to be comfy in my ears with the included tips. I could have stuck a staple in it, bought foamies and messed with my EQ but to be honest it doesn't seem like I should have to when the freaking things cost $200. I'm very curious and interested to see if they pull of the wireless thing...now that would be VERY cool!

Listening to some Flight of the Conchords right now...seems like there's a mini Jermaine and Brett in my brain putting on a concert.

One thing I forgot to mention. I was seriously put off by the marketing BS the Klipsch people puked out for the X10s...specifically this line: "Status symbol products such as the iPod have played a major role in making technology fashionable in recent years, making it necessary to develop a stylish audio accouterments that can bring better sound to in-vogue listeners." Man...reading that seriously makes me NOT want to buy them...and I never ever would have if not for all the great info on head-fi. So if anyone from Klipsch is reading this (and not the marketing person)...fire your marketing guy and donate to head-fi!
wink.gif

Aug 26, 2008 at 1:38 AM Post #81 of 97
I think the X10's are quite tips dependent and probably ear shape/size as well. As I've mentioned before I've tried other tips but to me the included bi-flanges are the best. I happen to have the SA6's, Triple.fi's, E530's and Images all sitting in front of me right now and the Images are the darkest of the four. Put on a pair of black olives and their borderline to aggressive in the treble for me.

Aug 26, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #82 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the X10's are quite tips dependent and probably ear shape/size as well. As I've mentioned before I've tried other tips but to me the included bi-flanges are the best. I happen to have the SA6's, Triple.fi's, E530's and Images all sitting in front of me right now and the Images are the darkest of the four. Put on a pair of black olives and their borderline to aggressive in the treble for me.

You're one better than me with the images (they are one I'm still highly interested in though)! Nice little collection compadre
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 26, 2008 at 1:52 AM Post #83 of 97
Very interesting. Again, proving that the complexity of which in-ear phones work best is always going to be personal preference dependent. And if modding, changing sleeves and using a bit of EQ makes the preferences easier to hear/discern, great.

Aug 26, 2008 at 1:58 AM Post #84 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very interesting. Again, proving that the complexity of which in-ear phones work best is always going to be personal preference dependent. And if modding, changing sleeves and using a bit of EQ makes the preferences easier to hear/discern, great.

I'm with you on that one. I'm all for tinking, fine-tuning, experimentation and tweaking. But then again I find this enjoyable and am prepared to put the time, thought and effort into it. Maybe others aren't and just want a straight off/out the box deliverer.

Aug 26, 2008 at 2:01 AM Post #85 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodSugar00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're one better than me with the images (they are one I'm still highly interested in though)! Nice little collection compadre
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh, they're not all mine, I own the SA6's and Image's, I used to own E530's as well but these and the Triple.fi's are another local Head-Fier's who often is generous enough to loan me gear to audition/test.

Aug 26, 2008 at 2:12 AM Post #86 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, they're not all mine, I own the SA6's and Image's, I used to own E530's as well but these and the Triple.fi's are another local Head-Fier's who often is generous enough to loan me gear to audition/test.

Ah ok. Thats a useful facility to have! I ain't discovered anybody else from my neck of the woods on here yet but you never know. For now its buying to try. Well thats not entirely true. I do heavily research preliminarily and that beforehand and I am one who likes to have a collection going also. What you make of all four IEM's sonically comparatively?

Aug 26, 2008 at 2:30 AM Post #87 of 97
Yeah, I do a lot of buying to try myself but it is nice having a few other local Head-Fier's that happen to have some really nice gear. I finally got to hear Grado PS-1's yesterday. :p

Aug 26, 2008 at 2:31 AM Post #88 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodSugar00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm with you on that one. I'm all for tinking, fine-tuning, experimentation and tweaking. But then again I find this enjoyable and am prepared to put the time, thought and effort into it. Maybe others aren't and just want a straight off/out the box deliverer.

After all this high-end IEM talk, I went nuts and plugged my Kramer-modded Ksc75s ($14) into a FiiO E3 amp ($8.50) and a Sansa Clip (1GB) I got for $8 on Amazon (with a $25 coupon), and it sounds pretty damn good. We're talking $30.50 for the entire rig! How cool is that?

Didn't mean to hijack the thread, but the Ksc75s NEED that Kramer mod to really sound their best. It involves a drill, quarter-modding the pads and 10 minutes of tinkering. Superb. Worth it.

Now, looking forward to trying the X10s with several sleeves, a few minor EQ setting tries, and the MiniboxE+ too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back