Did anyone realize how cheap the Klipsch IMAGE is?
Aug 24, 2008 at 3:45 AM Post #62 of 97
I've figured out why the heavy bass production with these X10s while using the "P" Standards. The drivers are working with a smaller pocket of air. These "P" Standards go in the ear canal so much farther that they seal off a smaller area of air and the drivers are pushing that smaller amount of air around more effectively.

The bass is really heavy on the X10s with these "P"s. But it's isn't a muddy bass.

Aug 24, 2008 at 4:02 AM Post #63 of 97
More impressions...after listening all afternoon, and switching between the X10, SE530 and UM2 (with UM56 custom tips) I can tell you the X10s are serious competitors. Overall, I would rate them UM2 highest, followed closely by the X10 with the SE530 last.

Like I said, I'm not real good at the technical evaluations, but I'll give it a shot. In other words, take the following with a grain of salt. The X10 and UM2 both sound really close in sound quality, with ample bass and crisp treble, very detailed and clear. I have no trouble picking individual instruments out of the mix, even with complicated songs that have many layers. I think the UM2 has a little more full sound perhaps with a tad more bass, but the X10 has a little better detail especially in vocals...I could hear little nuances in Loreena McKennit's voice that I hadn't noticed before. Chime sounds in Level 42's "43" rang crystal clear in the X10s with more brilliance than the UM2. I would say soundstage on these two is about the same, with the X10 maybe having a tiny edge. Bottom line, they're both great. This is with the UM56 on the UM2, with the standard complys I would have rate the X10 higher because for me the complys kill the high freqs.

Compared to the others, the SE530s lack sparkle and definition. Maybe that's what they mean by "rolled-off" highs? It is harder to discern individual instruments and the bass sounds a little muddy. On some tracks it's harder to understand Loreena's lyrics than with the other phones. Soundstage seems a little smaller.

Despite these differences, they are all still in the same league and all are excellent phones. Remember, this is how they sound to my ears using only an iPod for a source with no EQ. I'm sure an amp and some EQ would change all this around.

I hope this makes sense to you guys cause I really don't know what the heck I'm talking about!

Now the only problem is I want to try the Custom 3s, though I've heard many people have fit issues. I might have to order from someplace with a return policy...head-fi strikes again!!!

Aug 24, 2008 at 4:11 AM Post #64 of 97
Very nice comparison, and from another Head-Fier who is not a technical person but appreciates certain sound signatures (mids/highs, with clean but bountiful bass), your review makes makes me glad I ordered a pair of X10s.

Aug 24, 2008 at 10:50 AM Post #68 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by haroldc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been trying the X10s with the two comply tips I have lying around (t100 & t400) and can say that both tips offer different sound characters.

With the T100s, the treble is very bright and forward. With the T400s, the treble is more laid-back. There is a hump around the mid/mid bass level that is great with some music and too much with others. The bass with the T400s and T100s is excellent, with the T400s hitting a little louder (not much). Because the treble is more removed, it seems like the bass is significantly stronger, but in reality it is only a little.

I'm not really that great in expressing the differences in audiophile talk, but just trying to give my observations.

Can you give me an idea if either sound similar to the stock bi-flange tips? I really like the sound with the stock bi-flanges but they're still bothering my ears a bit, although they do seem to be getting better, but I'd still like to explore other options that might give me the same sound but less irritation.

Aug 24, 2008 at 12:29 PM Post #69 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you give me an idea if either sound similar to the stock bi-flange tips? I really like the sound with the stock bi-flanges but they're still bothering my ears a bit, although they do seem to be getting better, but I'd still like to explore other options that might give me the same sound but less irritation.

I can't get a good seal with the bi-flanges, only with the larger single flange. I guess I have large ear canals.
darthsmile.gif

Compared to the single flange, the treble and soundstage is right in the middle between the T100 and T400. With the T100, it's more forward, and the T400 is more laid-back.

Again, I'm not really an expert, so others might chime in when they experience them for themselves.

Aug 24, 2008 at 12:34 PM Post #70 of 97
I've got a bunch of tips from various manufacturers around, unfortunately the only Comply's I have are for the Triple.fi's so don't fit. I've tried just about everything else that will fit but nothing quite sounds as "right" as the stock bi-flanges do.

Aug 24, 2008 at 3:24 PM Post #72 of 97
I'm not sure the actual number, it's on their site though. The owner of the tri.fi's ordered some and gave me a pair when I tried them. I'm going to get them and a pair of E530's to try again for a few days. And yes, the tube is too large for the X10's.

Aug 26, 2008 at 12:06 AM Post #74 of 97
Ok...here we go. X10s arrived today (thanks again to Matt at soundearphones for the quick shipping and awesome price). All comments listed are FME (for my ears).

Packaging: super annoying to open...cant help but think the phones look like "swimmers"...if you know what i mean

First impression is centered on the massive increase in comfort over the SA6. These things are amazingly comfy. They disappear in your ears. I'm impresed.

For lucifix, the microphonics are actually not bad for a non-over-the-earer. I was REALLY worried about it because the CX300 is horrendous but I am pleasantly surprised. Definitely worse than SA6 in OTE configuration but maybe a bit better or same in the regular dangle config.

Played a wide range of music and did some back2back with SA6 and I am keeping the X10s....the SA6 will go back. I dont need the extra treble and "airiness" of the SA6 and the X10 have a much richer sound. It may be colored and/or not as neutral but I really don't care....my ears love it. People who had CX300 (like me) and are looking for a similar sound signature but with much improved sound/dynamics I strongly recommend these little things. I had my wife try both and she was barely impressed with the SA6 but did a "holy crap these are incredible" to the X10...I think the bass is really what hits you out of the box. The bass is NOT muddy and there is still great detail w/ a bit less separation than the SA6 but still great. I am officially done looking at headphones....although I might get the X5s now to compare and give one set to my wife. we will see...

One last plug for Soundearphones because they were very helpful and accommodating. I will definitely buy from them again.

Dork out.

Aug 26, 2008 at 12:11 AM Post #75 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by mdork /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok...here we go. X10s arrived today (thanks again to Matt at soundearphones for the quick shipping and awesome price). All comments listed are FME (for my ears).

Packaging: super annoying to open...cant help but think the phones look like "swimmers"...if you know what i mean

First impression is centered on the massive increase in comfort over the SA6. These things are amazingly comfy. They disappear in your ears. I'm impresed.

For lucifix, the microphonics are actually not bad for a non-over-the-earer. I was REALLY worried about it because the CX300 is horrendous but I am pleasantly surprised. Definitely worse than SA6 in OTE configuration but maybe a bit better or same in the regular dangle config.

Played a wide range of music and did some back2back with SA6 and I am keeping the X10s....the SA6 will go back. I dont need the extra treble and "airiness" of the SA6 and the X10 have a much richer sound. It may be colored and/or not as neutral but I really don't care....my ears love it. People who had CX300 (like me) and are looking for a similar sound signature but with much improved sound/dynamics I strongly recommend these little things. I had my wife try both and she was barely impressed with the SA6 but did a "holy crap these are incredible" to the X10...I think the bass is really what hits you out of the box. The bass is NOT muddy and there is still great detail w/ a bit less separation than the SA6 but still great. I am officially done looking at headphones....although I might get the X5s now to compare and give one set to my wife. we will see...

One last plug for Soundearphones because they were very helpful and accommodating. I will definitely buy from them again.

Dork out.

Interesting observations and impresions! Thanks for taking the time to share your finding and thoughts on your new purchase
beerchug.gif
. I am particulary pleased with the comparison with the SA6 you were able to give as I own those. The more I read other peoples opinions on hp's the more I realise you really need to try things for yourself lol. I'll have to sample the images sometime
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back