Denafrips Ares 12th speculation/discussion/impressions
Dec 4, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #61 of 370
My sweet smooth SMSL M400 suddenly no power... and sent for overseas repair which may take months....
Contemplating to purchase this R2R 12th anniversary for I2S input from SMSL SD-9 streamer and to Topping A90 Discrete pre-amp/headphone, lastly Willsenton R300B tube amp.

A lot good reviews for ARES is accurate, natural, separation and airiness etc
Only worry is ARES 12th anniversary may not sound as sweet smooth like SMSL M400 but thinner and colder/dryer as mentioned in the last 2 paragraph

https://www.denafrips.com/single-post/its-just-so-musical
For what it's worth, that review is referencing the Ares II enyo, not the Ares 12th. I can't say how the two Ares compare, though.

Dec 5, 2022 at 11:26 PM Post #62 of 370
I’m enjoying the ‘12th’ version.. can anyone compare the SQ difference between the new ‘12th’ and the older Ares II model? Since there aren’t many reviews out yet on the ‘12th’ I’ve been reading and watching reviews on the prior model and it seems there would be a difference

Thanks

Dec 6, 2022 at 6:50 AM Post #63 of 370
Last edited:
Dec 9, 2022 at 7:05 PM Post #64 of 370
Hi
After 3 weeks of burning with playing Ben Rizzi Ultimate test CD 24/7, I decide to put my favorite playlist in.
My setup is Pi2AES I2S out—-> Ares II 12th RCA OUT —-> LSA VT-70 —-> tekton lore

My first impression was as a real shock
The records sound really different from the Delta Sigma chips I was used to. The main difference I found is that Delta sigma sound is not balance at all. Their is a kind of signature that change the original records. I found that a specific sound on the record either it’s mid range, high range, bass is predominating. I don’t know on what criteria delta sigma choose to put a range at a higher level when rendering. Sometimes in delta sigma it’s Guitar, piano, drums… It feel like delta sigma sublime bad sound or bad recording by attenuating everything. It’s a kind of lukewarm water.

With denafrips Ares II 12th, what your hear is what you get. If the record is bad, it’s sound bad whereas delta sigma chip tend to attenuate that. This statement is simple but that change a lot of things about music listening. I’m convince that ARES II 12th is what HIFI should be without any specific color or biais sound signature.
The sound in denafrips is well rounded balanced and sound AS IS. The dac is really transparent.
I am kind of force to unlike some of my favorite tracks because denafrips reveals the truth. It’s kind of here is the truth about that record.
And then this R2R approach is more align with my conviction. I don’t get why a delta sigma dac with a 25$ chips cost hundred, thousands of dollars and OEM has to over engineering so much stuff around it.
This denafrips dac is a kind of experience, I am in still in the process of understand regarding delta sigma dac, why in the same record, this particular note is running so high at the front and masking everything else.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2022 at 8:10 PM Post #65 of 370
Hi
After 3 weeks of burning with playing Ben Rizzi Ultimate test CD 24/7, I decide to put my favorite playlist in.
My setup is Pi2AES I2S out—-> Ares II 12th RCA OUT —-> LSA VT-70 —-> tekton lore

My first impression was as a real shock
The records sound really different from the Delta Sigma chips I was used to. The main difference I found is that Delta sigma sound is not balance at all. Their is a kind of signature that change the original records. I found that a specific sound on the record either it’s mid range, high range, bass is predominating. I don’t know on what criteria delta sigma choose to put a range at a higher level when rendering. Sometimes in delta sigma it’s Guitar, piano, drums… It feel like delta sigma sublime bad sound or bad recording by attenuating everything. It’s a kind of lukewarm water.

With denafrips Ares II 12th, what your hear is what you get. If the record is bad, it’s sound bad whereas delta sigma chip tend to attenuate that. This statement is simple but that change a lot of things about music listening. I’m convince that ARES II 12th is what HIFI should be without any specific color or biais sound signature.
The sound in denafrips is well rounded balanced and sound AS IS. The dac is really transparent.
I am kind of force to unlike some of my favorite tracks because denafrips reveals the truth. It’s kind of here is the truth about that record.
And then this R2R approach is more align with my conviction. I don’t get why a delta sigma dac with a 25$ chips cost hundred, thousands of dollars and OEM has to over engineering so much stuff around it.
This denafrips dac is a kind of experience, I am in still in the process of understand regarding delta sigma dac, why in the same record, this particular note is running so high at the front and masking everything else.
Hello,

I agree with you and I totally agree with you in what you said.
Unfortunately I hadn't heard of the R2R dac until now.
But I can tell you one thing.
I'm currently testing the Ifi Phono stage on my turntable.
And when I go back to my D/S Dac and listen to the same album streamed, I'm missing certain parts of the music I heard on the record before.

So I think an R2R Dac is probably closer to vinyl than any other Dac could possibly be, regardless of the price.

Your words encourage me to try the Ares 12 anyway.
Even if I personally have something against it.

Dec 10, 2022 at 4:54 PM Post #67 of 370
Dec 10, 2022 at 5:10 PM Post #68 of 370
Hello,
Thanks for your report and great setup you have.

One question for you would you say that the 12 th performs better than its predecessor?
Or are they both the same and your chain makes the difference?
I2S input elevates it above Ares II.

Dec 10, 2022 at 5:22 PM Post #69 of 370
Hello,
Thanks for your report and great setup you have.

One question for you would you say that the 12 th performs better than its predecessor?
Or are they both the same and your chain makes the difference?
I did not compare the Ares 12th directly with the Ares II. I can only say with the Iris and the I2S connection to the Ares 12th, there was considerable difference compared to the Iris connected to the Ares II with the coaxial input.

Dec 11, 2022 at 7:05 AM Post #70 of 370
I currently use a Bitfost 2/64 and have a Mercury V2 on it's way, they will be connected to a Jot 2 or a Burson 3X GT. I intend to connect the Streamer to the DAC via a supra 75Ohm coax and XLR's to the amps If I change the Bitfost 2/64with a Denafrips 12th via I2S, will I get a better performance from the source or am I wishing too much? I understand YMMV

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2022 at 7:27 AM Post #71 of 370
I currently use a Bitfost 2/64 and have a Mercury V2 on it's way, they will be connected to a Jot 2 or a Burson 3X GT. I intend to connect the Streamer to the DAC via a supra 75Ohm coax and XLR's to the amps If I change the Bitfost 2/64with a Denafrips 12th via I2S, will I get a better performance from the source or am I wishing too much? I understand YMMV
I give 90% chance you will be happy. Even a cheaper Audio GD R2R-11Mk2 ($690) sounds better than BF2. However with R2R DAC you will be in a long run looking for an amp sans opamps (Class A, zero feedback) or a tube amp. I warn you about, Burson is not end game.

Dec 11, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #72 of 370
I have a BF 2/64 and SMSL D400 ES and Topping D70S and an Denafrips Ares 12th .. I am extremely happy with the Ares12th via I2S input as compared to the I2S into my the D400ES, D70S or usb into the BF 2/64

I’m now thinking of selling everything else and just keeping the Ares 12th

Don’t ask me to explain other then it just sounds better in my setup .. it just feels more ‘real’ in its sounding

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #73 of 370
I have a BF 2/64 and SMSL D400 ES and Topping D70S and an Denafrips Ares 12th .. I am extremely happy with the Ares12th via I2S input as compared to the I2S into my the D400ES, D70S or usb into the BF 2/64

I’m now thinking of selling everything else and just keeping the Ares 12th

Don’t ask me to explain other the it just sounds better in my setup .., it just feels more ‘real’ in its sounding
Well said. Descriptions could be about measurements or with the attempt to cloak them with any number of audiophile terms. Ultimately, it boils down to the fact that in my stereo system, the Ares 12th just sounds right. I know the term musical is vague and subjective, but it’s the best I can use in describing the Ares 12th/Iris combination using the I2S connection.

Dec 11, 2022 at 7:40 PM Post #74 of 370
Where to buy this in US?

Dec 11, 2022 at 8:16 PM Post #75 of 370
The only supplier for US is vinshineaudio afaik

Users who are viewing this thread

Back