Denafrips Ares 12th speculation/discussion/impressions
Nov 19, 2022 at 5:28 PM Post #16 of 370
I don't quite believe that.

The other R2R-based dacs are more expensive but strangely do not have these problems.
The Spring 3 as an example, as far as I have read, does not have to stay permanently on standby to perform, even if the price difference is unfairly 3 times as high.
Apart from that, there are no problems with running it at the output simultaneously or individually.

Even from the Gustard R26 or Soekris Dac you don't hear this, so I think it's a design problem with the Ares.
The only explanation for this would be that Denfrips might have gone a different way with the Ares for cost reasons.

From a personal point of view, I listen to music very differently, sometimes for days or weeks and sometimes for a few days or weeks.
Unfortunately, I find that a bit impractical when the Ares is only there after 2 hours or maybe more.
You could possibly live with 2 hours by switching it on 2 hours beforehand in standby.
I could also live with it if it was only until it was at operating temperature.

Unfortunately, I have never been able to find out exactly how many hours it takes until it is completely warm.
I've only read about it, but unfortunately even the support team didn't give me any information.

The thing about not using both outputs at the same time is a bit of a comfort problem for sure, but also not necessarily time related.
But even then I don't see the reason to buy an additional switch box just to be able to separate the signal.
But even then you could almost resort to preamps, where a lot of things could go wrong in the overall chain.
Added together, you can then buy a better R2R Dac, so to speak.

But I'm still open to it if someone knows more about the problems the Ares has.
Maybe everything is exaggerated more than it actually is.
Except for the output problem.

Nov 19, 2022 at 6:11 PM Post #17 of 370
Some people are saying the Holo Audio Spring 3 needs to warm up for at least an hour to sound good and some places I read it goes on standby to keep it warm as well so I dont know where youre getting your information from but thats the nature of r2r ladders.

As for the output simultaneous output "issue" I'm telling you the reason why they're the way they are from their own mouths and youre telling me you dont believe it lol. So I dont know what you want me to tell you.
For the price point there's some compromises I suppose.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2022 at 12:22 AM Post #18 of 370
Nov 20, 2022 at 3:01 AM Post #19 of 370
I could not do a side by side comparison. I received the Ares II from Vinshine a week before the release of the Ares 12th. Alvin generously allowed me to return the Ares II so that I can put that towards the Ares 12th. So I didn't have the chance to have both at once. But with the short time I did have the Ares II, I did like it.

Currently using a Singxer SU-6 DDC to the Ares 12th and it sounds great. Don't think you can go wrong with either but I'd lean towards the 12th because of the i2s feature and the bigger capacitors.
The specifications indicate only USB des high rate DSD...does i2s only support DSD64 DoP?

Nov 20, 2022 at 9:36 AM Post #20 of 370
The specifications indicate only USB des high rate DSD...does i2s only support DSD64 DoP?
I don't expect any restrictions for I2S. USB is converted internally to I2S, it is why.

Nov 20, 2022 at 10:26 AM Post #21 of 370
Nov 20, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #23 of 370
I don't quite believe that.

The other R2R-based dacs are more expensive but strangely do not have these problems.
The Spring 3 as an example, as far as I have read, does not have to stay permanently on standby to perform, even if the price difference is unfairly 3 times as high.
Apart from that, there are no problems with running it at the output simultaneously or individually.

Even from the Gustard R26 or Soekris Dac you don't hear this, so I think it's a design problem with the Ares.
The only explanation for this would be that Denfrips might have gone a different way with the Ares for cost reasons.

From a personal point of view, I listen to music very differently, sometimes for days or weeks and sometimes for a few days or weeks.
Unfortunately, I find that a bit impractical when the Ares is only there after 2 hours or maybe more.
You could possibly live with 2 hours by switching it on 2 hours beforehand in standby.
I could also live with it if it was only until it was at operating temperature.

Unfortunately, I have never been able to find out exactly how many hours it takes until it is completely warm.
I've only read about it, but unfortunately even the support team didn't give me any information.

The thing about not using both outputs at the same time is a bit of a comfort problem for sure, but also not necessarily time related.
But even then I don't see the reason to buy an additional switch box just to be able to separate the signal.
But even then you could almost resort to preamps, where a lot of things could go wrong in the overall chain.
Added together, you can then buy a better R2R Dac, so to speak.

But I'm still open to it if someone knows more about the problems the Ares has.
Maybe everything is exaggerated more than it actually is.
Except for the output problem.
I have a Holo may in a different system, and Tim advised me to never turn off the dac. So the holo may is constantly on. It's not just denafrips. I am not familiar with Gustard or Soekris, but if not turning off a device is a deal breaker, you won't like the Schiit, Holo, Denafrips dacs.

Nov 20, 2022 at 2:39 PM Post #24 of 370

Interesting read. Surprised that the writer said the Oppo players internal DAC was inferior (at least for SACD) even though it's supposed to be a flagship DAC. Still seems like a lot of fuss. Why the makers of the SACD format made it so difficult is beyond me. As much as I'm curious about SACD (as I'm sure many of them sound excellent) it makes me want to forgo that option. I'm still very curious about vinyl but that's another ball of wax.

Nov 20, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #25 of 370
Interesting read. Surprised that the writer said the Oppo players internal DAC was inferior (at least for SACD) even though it's supposed to be a flagship DAC. Still seems like a lot of fuss.
The guy is right. ESS use some clock synchronisation mechanism which is not always required. Better implementations bypass this engine, providing a replacement. Also the output analogue stage can destroy sound. By sending out digital datastream, DAC can remove some jitter and synchronise to the internal oscilators.
Why the makers of the SACD format made it so difficult is beyond me. As much as I'm curious about SACD (as I'm sure many of them sound excellent) it makes me want to forgo that option.
SACD was designed with copy protection in mind. Initially only analogue output could play SACD content. Digital out was limited to the playback of the CD hybrid layer. Only the later implementations (like this Oppo player) allow hi-res content to be transmitted over HDCP encrypted HDMI link. But recently there are devices able to strip hi-res audio. This is what author is doing: bypassing HDMI protection.

This is a past, SACD as a consumer media is dead because of copy protection, but a format is still alive. You can buy hi-res content in DSF files, enjoying better quality on Delta-Sigma DACs. As R2R user I don't notice beter quality while playing SACD, but there are many titles of good quality recordings, typically less processed in studios during mastering, giving more natural sound.

Nov 22, 2022 at 6:12 AM Post #26 of 370

ARES 12th I²S input supports DSD512

DSD512.png

Nov 23, 2022 at 10:16 AM Post #27 of 370
I could not do a side by side comparison. I received the Ares II from Vinshine a week before the release of the Ares 12th. Alvin generously allowed me to return the Ares II so that I can put that towards the Ares 12th. So I didn't have the chance to have both at once. But with the short time I did have the Ares II, I did like it.

Currently using a Singxer SU-6 DDC to the Ares 12th and it sounds great. Don't think you can go wrong with either but I'd lean towards the 12th because of the i2s feature and the bigger capacitors.
What i2s setting switch do you use for su6 to connect to the ares 12?

Nov 23, 2022 at 4:12 PM Post #30 of 370
Hello, decided to make a dedicated thread for those interested in the Ares 12th. I received mine yesterday and really feel that it's a top notch performer that is well worth the asking price and deserves to be on anyone's short list if you are looking for a dac in the 1,000 dollar price point.

Will post initial impressions once I am able to put a few weeks through it.

I will say that the Ares 12th is making me question why anyone should spend more on a dac.

Looking forward to your review! These Denafrips boxes are an amazing value!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back