Denafrips Ares 12th speculation/discussion/impressions
Nov 16, 2022 at 6:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 364

Tubewin

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello, decided to make a dedicated thread for those interested in the Ares 12th. I received mine yesterday and really feel that it's a top notch performer that is well worth the asking price and deserves to be on anyone's short list if you are looking for a dac in the 1,000 dollar price point.

Will post initial impressions once I am able to put a few weeks through it.

I will say that the Ares 12th is making me question why anyone should spend more on a dac.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_3159.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_3159.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 0
Nov 17, 2022 at 4:07 PM Post #2 of 364
Have you compared this with the Ares II? I have a BF 2 now (not 2/64) but I've long been curious about the Ares II. Get an Ares II used or get the Ares 12th?

Nov 17, 2022 at 5:46 PM Post #3 of 364
Have you compared this with the Ares II? I have a BF 2 now (not 2/64) but I've long been curious about the Ares II. Get an Ares II used or get the Ares 12th?
I could not do a side by side comparison. I received the Ares II from Vinshine a week before the release of the Ares 12th. Alvin generously allowed me to return the Ares II so that I can put that towards the Ares 12th. So I didn't have the chance to have both at once. But with the short time I did have the Ares II, I did like it.

Currently using a Singxer SU-6 DDC to the Ares 12th and it sounds great. Don't think you can go wrong with either but I'd lean towards the 12th because of the i2s feature and the bigger capacitors.

Nov 17, 2022 at 5:55 PM Post #4 of 364
I could not do a side by side comparison. I received the Ares II from Vinshine a week before the release of the Ares 12th. Alvin generously allowed me to return the Ares II so that I can put that towards the Ares 12th. So I didn't have the chance to have both at once. But with the short time I did have the Ares II, I did like it.

Currently using a Singxer SU-6 DDC to the Ares 12th and it sounds great. Don't think you can go wrong with either but I'd lean towards the 12th because of the i2s feature and the bigger capacitors.

I2S is the HDMI style connector right? Would that work with universal disc players to play SACDs? I have the itch to try that format. In any case I'll look more into the Ares 12th. I may still get the upgrade card for my BF2 to make it a 2/64.

Nov 17, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #5 of 364
I2S is the HDMI style connector right? Would that work with universal disc players to play SACDs? I have the itch to try that format. In any case I'll look more into the Ares 12th. I may still get the upgrade card for my BF2 to make it a 2/64.
Yes, i2s is the hdmi style connector. Alvin actually warns against using it with blu-ray players and computer hdmi outs. I've heard good things about the 2/64. I tried gettting into Schiit at one point, but they delayed my order more than twice, and once it looked like it was going to be a few month's of delays I just stopped trying. At the time I was trying to purchase a Yggdrasil.

Nov 17, 2022 at 8:12 PM Post #6 of 364
Yes, i2s is the hdmi style connector. Alvin actually warns against using it with blu-ray players and computer hdmi outs. I've heard good things about the 2/64. I tried gettting into Schiit at one point, but they delayed my order more than twice, and once it looked like it was going to be a few month's of delays I just stopped trying. At the time I was trying to purchase a Yggdrasil.

I've never ordered directly from Schiit. I've gotten all my stuff used. So is I2S only compatible with high end CD/SACD players and external DACs?

Nov 18, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #7 of 364
remember the I2S HDMI port isnt wired like a regular HDMI/HDMI ARC port. Its just the connector, so they would specifically have to be I2S ports to actually work. same as the RJ45 jack I2S ports, they're just wired to carry the data not wired like a regular Ethernet port.

Nov 18, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #8 of 364
Does anyone know if Denafrips are doing anything for Black Friday?

Nov 18, 2022 at 1:20 PM Post #10 of 364
Nov 19, 2022 at 2:29 AM Post #11 of 364
Hello,

I have also written to support to ask if the common ailments of the Ares 2 have been fixed with the 12th.

I asked if it still needs to stay powered and this was answered in the affirmative to give the best performance.

And also the story about connecting 2 amplifiers is still not recommended.
Even if only one would run.
They recommended a switch box to avoid the whole thing.

I think that's a bit of a drawback because it was known and I would have liked them to fix it.
Since it is apparently also a new implementation.
Unfortunately, the Ares is still out of the question for me.

Nov 19, 2022 at 4:46 AM Post #12 of 364
I think that's a bit of a drawback because it was known and I would have liked them to fix it.
If Ares jubilee is out of question, then Audio GD R-1 or R-28 with HPA and pre-amp should receive recommendation.

Nov 19, 2022 at 4:47 AM Post #13 of 364
Hello,

I have also written to support to ask if the common ailments of the Ares 2 have been fixed with the 12th.

I asked if it still needs to stay powered and this was answered in the affirmative to give the best performance.

Honestly, it's your loss. Your attitude is making you miss out on an incredible DAC. It's criminal it sounds so good for so little.

Nov 19, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #15 of 364
Hello,

Honestly both those things go against their design philosophy which they have unabashedly explained.
1. R2R dacs in general need to be warm to perform their best so the fact that they keep those ladders heated during standby is not something exclusive to Denafrips.
2. The using of only one output of a time is because they do not use an output buffer which they have stated is part of their philosophy of the shortest path.

So due to those two specific details perhaps Denafrips products or R2R DACs are just not for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back