Denafrips Ares 12th speculation/discussion/impressions
Nov 23, 2022 at 6:50 PM Post #31 of 364
But I'm using a Singxer SU-6 as the ddc so the optimal settings may be different for you.
What about the bottom pins on the su6? How are your configurations. I’m using a su2 was thinking there might be some similarity.

Nov 23, 2022 at 9:10 PM Post #33 of 364
I'll get back to you on that when I have it in front of me. If I recall correctly, I'm using the same config as the ps audio/audio gd pin outs.
Ok thanks!

Nov 25, 2022 at 6:04 PM Post #35 of 364
So here are some impressions off the cuff so to speak:

The 12th, on many occasions and across different genres, was able to make me stop whatever I was doing and focus only on the music. To not just hear the music but to feel it. Stringed instruments tugged the heart strings, piano presses had impact and weight, voices were sweet and with the right amount of density. If there was a word to describe the whole sound of the 12th, it would be tangible. You could feel the music. I listened to NOS and OS, and it was hard to pick between the two. NOS felt warmer to me but with slightly more haze around the notes, OS was cleaner around the edges but still retained that "R2R"(smooth and organic) sound.

The current system: laptop ->usb -> SU6 -> i2s -> Ares 12th -> xlr ->goldpoint sa1x -> xlr -> mcintosh mc7100 -> Kef 104.2 speakers

Nov 25, 2022 at 6:10 PM Post #36 of 364
Nov 29, 2022 at 11:58 AM Post #37 of 364
So here are some impressions off the cuff so to speak:

The 12th, on many occasions and across different genres, was able to make me stop whatever I was doing and focus only on the music. To not just hear the music but to feel it. Stringed instruments tugged the heart strings, piano presses had impact and weight, voices were sweet and with the right amount of density. If there was a word to describe the whole sound of the 12th, it would be tangible. You could feel the music. I listened to NOS and OS, and it was hard to pick between the two. NOS felt warmer to me but with slightly more haze around the notes, OS was cleaner around the edges but still retained that "R2R"(smooth and organic) sound.

The current system: laptop ->usb -> SU6 -> i2s -> Ares 12th -> xlr ->goldpoint sa1x -> xlr -> mcintosh mc7100 -> Kef 104.2 speakers
Hi, i'm new to the forum.
Thanks for your reply.
I would like to know if this new Ares 12 th has more grunt compared to the original Ares and if the basses are a little heavier and more defined. Thank you

Nov 29, 2022 at 3:17 PM Post #38 of 364
I don’t know what the Ares II sounded like but the 12th edition I received and have been playing since Sunday seems okay … I have it connected to a Schiit lokius … bass knobs turned up a bit and it sounds pretty darn nice to me .. I was debating if I should have gotten the Pontus II .. as soon as I noticed the 12th version I decided to get it… don’t know if I will be getting the upgrade itch anytime soon .. Im enjoying it a bit more then the Bifrost 2/64 … then again it could be that ‘new thing glow’

Nov 29, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #40 of 364
Hi, i'm new to the forum.
Thanks for your reply.
I would like to know if this new Ares 12 th has more grunt compared to the original Ares and if the basses are a little heavier and more defined. Thank you
With my brief time with the Ares 2, I think the 12th does have more weight and impact. Not world's different, but slightly more.

Nov 30, 2022 at 2:00 AM Post #41 of 364
I don’t know what the Ares II sounded like but the 12th edition I received and have been playing since Sunday seems okay … I have it connected to a Schiit lokius … bass knobs turned up a bit and it sounds pretty darn nice to me .. I was debating if I should have gotten the Pontus II .. as soon as I noticed the 12th version I decided to get it… don’t know if I will be getting the upgrade itch anytime soon .. Im enjoying it a bit more then the Bifrost 2/64 … then again it could be that ‘new thing glow’
Thank you Jerry, compared to Bifrost, wich are the main differences? Many thanks

Nov 30, 2022 at 9:48 AM Post #43 of 364
Received the Ares 12th 2 days ago and it has been running non-stop.

Been on the fence for almost 2 years to switch over to R2R as I'm a non believer in DAC's making a huge difference in the chain. I've not had very long to listen to it but I'm really amazed so far and I'm hoping it isn't confirmation bias.

IMG_6567.jpeg
IMG_6573.jpeg

Nov 30, 2022 at 11:33 AM Post #44 of 364
How is the detail retrival compared to the Bifrost 2/64, particularly any micro details that you noticed missing vs the Bifrost 2/64.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back