Denafrips Ares 12th speculation/discussion/impressions
Nov 30, 2022 at 11:44 AM Post #46 of 370
Received the Ares 12th 2 days ago and it has been running non-stop.

Been on the fence for almost 2 years to switch over to R2R as I'm a non believer in DAC's making a huge difference in the chain. I've not had very long to listen to it but I'm really amazed so far and I'm hoping it isn't confirmation bias.

IMG_6567.jpegIMG_6573.jpeg
my compliments, as soon as you can let us know your impressions in particular on the timbre. Thank you very much

Nov 30, 2022 at 10:24 PM Post #50 of 370
Once we get a significant amount of ‘12th’ listeners.. I would like to know everyone’s thoughts on which filter they enjoy .. slow or fast
Just a heads up in case this isn't already mentioned before. Slow and fast filter is only available in OS mode.

Dec 2, 2022 at 5:34 AM Post #52 of 370
Received the Ares 12th 2 days ago and it has been running non-stop.

Been on the fence for almost 2 years to switch over to R2R as I'm a non believer in DAC's making a huge difference in the chain. I've not had very long to listen to it but I'm really amazed so far and I'm hoping it isn't confirmation bias.

IMG_6567.jpegIMG_6573.jpeg
Could you please little elaborate on differences between Ares 12th? I have CXN so the comparison between these two would be valuable for me. Thank you. :)

Dec 2, 2022 at 6:50 PM Post #53 of 370
Okay … I’m going to try to phrase this again

I know the consensus is to just leave an R2R DAC on all the time.

If that is the case.. why does the Ares 12th have a Stand By button? On other devices this is mostly for using a remote. But the Ares doesn’t have a remote …. so the stand by mode must mean enough power is flowing to keep everything at a constant temp?

Dec 3, 2022 at 8:47 AM Post #55 of 370
.is the top hot in standby mode?
I keep my home colder then normal during the winter time.. so it is around 65F right now and the metal cases on my switched off devices are all cold to the touch but the Ares (in stand by over night) is not cold … so I guess my assumption is correct

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2022 at 1:24 PM Post #56 of 370
R

If that is the case.. why does the Ares 12th have a Stand By button? On other devices this is mostly for using a remote. But the Ares doesn’t have a remote …. so the stand by mode must mean enough power is flowing to keep everything at a constant temp?
Rather than leave it on all the time, just replace the resistors with ones with a tighter tolerance and lower TCR.

Dec 4, 2022 at 4:09 AM Post #58 of 370
My sweet smooth SMSL M400 suddenly no power... and sent for overseas repair which may take months....
Contemplating to purchase this R2R 12th anniversary for I2S input from SMSL SD-9 streamer and to Topping A90 Discrete pre-amp/headphone, lastly Willsenton R300B tube amp.

A lot good reviews for ARES is accurate, natural, separation and airiness etc
Only worry is ARES 12th anniversary may not sound as sweet smooth like SMSL M400 but thinner and colder/dryer as mentioned in the last 2 paragraph

https://www.denafrips.com/single-post/its-just-so-musical

Dec 4, 2022 at 4:47 AM Post #59 of 370

I too genuinely want to know how does leaving the Ares on at all time is helpful? is it because the repeat on/off cycles deteriorates the resistors over time, if that is the case on the flip side leaving on at all time the longer heat exposure will have a negative effect too, or it is just sonic consideration, if it is the latter can't we just switch on the Ares say an hour or so before listening.

Dec 4, 2022 at 1:36 PM Post #60 of 370
Are they making a Pontus II 12th as well? I see them for sale from a Chinese seller on eBay labeled as 12th (even has a picture with 12th clearly labels on the front panel) but see nothing about a Pontus II 12th on Denafrips' or Vinshine's sites.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back