DAP-off! Astell&Kern, Sony, HiFiMan, Chord, FiiO, Lotoo, Soundaware, Hiby, Cayin & others
Jan 19, 2015 at 4:10 AM Post #1,186 of 2,125
And of the 3 (+AK240) Sean, which one gets 1st place?

For that, I'd have to get my AK240 back and re-borrow the Paw. Personally for my ears (and if we're allowed to compare DAPs to DAC/Amp components) :-

1) Flow
2) Hugo
3) Paw Gold

When I get my AK240, I'll see how it'll fit into that above picture.

@Currawong already owns the Flow & Hugo & has an AK240. If he could borrow the Paw Gold he can give his perspective.....{hint hint, nudge nuge}
if I can somehow re-borrow the Hugo & Paw Gold to do another comparison (or just coerce @currawong to do it :D).

Jan 19, 2015 at 7:35 AM Post #1,187 of 2,125
For that, I'd have to get my AK240 back and re-borrow the Paw. Personally for my ears (and if we're allowed to compare DAPs to DAC/Amp components) :-

1) Flow
2) Hugo
3) Paw Gold

@Currawong already owns the Flow & Hugo & has an AK240. If he could borrow the Paw Gold he can give his perspective.....{hint hint, nudge nuge}
if I can somehow re-borrow the Hugo & Paw Gold to do another comparison (or just coerce @currawong to do it :D).

The Flow looks interesting too bad it's only SE. I'm really sold on balanced output. The AK takes control of the FT!334 and the Miracle like no DAP or portable SE setup I've ever listened too.

Jan 19, 2015 at 8:58 AM Post #1,188 of 2,125

1) Flow
2) Hugo
3) Paw Gold

wow that's quite something there putting the Flow ahead of the Hugo!
I tried the Flow with lots of headphones right here in Korea where it comes from with many different headphones and it even drove the HE-6 pretty well. Only gripe with its sound was I thought it could drive the HD800 better(sounded thin compared to the best out there).
I really didn't expect your positioning Flow ahead of the hugo but :p seems legit! :)

Jan 19, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #1,191 of 2,125
wow that's quite something there putting the Flow ahead of the Hugo!
I tried the Flow with lots of headphones right here in Korea where it comes from with many different headphones and it even drove the HE-6 pretty well. Only gripe with its sound was I thought it could drive the HD800 better(sounded thin compared to the best out there).
I really didn't expect your positioning Flow ahead of the hugo but :p seems legit! :)
Quite a few folks would disagree with me but at least for my tastes, that's how it goes. There are certain conditions where I would prefer the Hugo but as a more generic device, the Flow seems to be a more "all-rounder" component of the two.

Jan 20, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #1,192 of 2,125
I feel the Hugo is more detailed and more realistic with instruments, but the Flow is more enjoyable to listen directly with. The Hugo is nice with a slightly warm, but high-end amp IMO.

Jan 22, 2015 at 1:10 AM Post #1,193 of 2,125
I don't see DX100 or HDP R10 being mentioned in this thread. Is it because they are not on the same league?

Jan 24, 2015 at 6:22 AM Post #1,195 of 2,125
  I don't see DX100 or HDP R10 being mentioned in this thread. Is it because they are not on the same league?

When I started the thread, it was long after I'd sold my DX100. I remember it having a distinct hint of Sabre flavour, so I'd put it behind the Calyx M. The UI, of course, was a disaster which took forever to start up and drain the battery even not playing music. If they fixed all of that though, it would have been a good player.

Jan 24, 2015 at 6:36 AM Post #1,196 of 2,125
Just some info on my encounter with the AK240SS today. Enjoy (grammars messy because I rushed it)

I live in Korea atm and I just visited my favourite audio dealer and they had a special event with 7 emplyees or so from AstellnKern showing off all their products. I came back just 30 mins ago. They brought the normal 240s, gold ones, Blue Note ones, and finally, the SS! I was questioning my eyes for one second and was drooling then was listening to a bunch of em. They had one guy who has a high position in the company and he tells me SS's price is in the $3000 range and it is indeed stainless steel which is supposed to improve sound just for its hardness and so on. That is the only difference with no additional hardware difference according to the guy. I was not able to listen to it but I asked if they get get it out of this special display case made for a few of the 240s which included a SS (there were like 6-8 240s outside the box for listening). I held it and with a normal 240 in the other hand and the weight difference was BIG. The SS was pretty dang heavy! I wouldn't pay so much for more weight even if there's a difference in sound personally but it's just me. It kinda takes away the whole purpose of using duraluminum to make it light :p Additional side notes were they also had JERRY HARVEY AUDIO LAYLAS AND ANGIES! omg! I listened to both and the Layla out of the balanced output. I will fail to go to sleep tonight. Layla sounded Phenominal! One of the best sounds I've ever heard including loudspeakers, headphones, etc. The thing was way too big and uncomfy though many were having trouble with the fit. But then the sound... the sound...... It's definitely much more "balanced" and "audiophile" and "detailed" compared to the Roxxanes. Angie was a dissapointement. Many have said that Angie was pretty close to the Layla in many ways, and it's reallyyy not close. at all.. Oh man, Oh man, the sound's still stuck in my head. Good. cheers!
 ps. they have a black french case which feels different from the original italian one. nice looking!
       oh and the AK240SS itself is pretty good looking but looks wise my personal preference is Blue Note>original gun metal>gold>SS Others opinion would differ :p

Jan 24, 2015 at 6:38 AM Post #1,197 of 2,125
AK240SS is made of stainless steel and it will cost $3000+. Way heavier than the normal AK240 and made with ss to harden the housing of electronics which is supposed to improve sound.

Jan 26, 2015 at 2:09 AM Post #1,199 of 2,125
  Just some info on my encounter with the AK240SS today. Enjoy (grammars messy because I rushed it)

I live in Korea atm and I just visited my favourite audio dealer and they had a special event with 7 emplyees or so from AstellnKern showing off all their products. I came back just 30 mins ago. They brought the normal 240s, gold ones, Blue Note ones, and finally, the SS! I was questioning my eyes for one second and was drooling then was listening to a bunch of em. They had one guy who has a high position in the company and he tells me SS's price is in the $3000 range and it is indeed stainless steel which is supposed to improve sound just for its hardness and so on. That is the only difference with no additional hardware difference according to the guy. I was not able to listen to it but I asked if they get get it out of this special display case made for a few of the 240s which included a SS (there were like 6-8 240s outside the box for listening). I held it and with a normal 240 in the other hand and the weight difference was BIG. The SS was pretty dang heavy! I wouldn't pay so much for more weight even if there's a difference in sound personally but it's just me. It kinda takes away the whole purpose of using duraluminum to make it light :p Additional side notes were they also had JERRY HARVEY AUDIO LAYLAS AND ANGIES! omg! I listened to both and the Layla out of the balanced output. I will fail to go to sleep tonight. Layla sounded Phenominal! One of the best sounds I've ever heard including loudspeakers, headphones, etc. The thing was way too big and uncomfy though many were having trouble with the fit. But then the sound... the sound...... It's definitely much more "balanced" and "audiophile" and "detailed" compared to the Roxxanes. Angie was a dissapointement. Many have said that Angie was pretty close to the Layla in many ways, and it's reallyyy not close. at all.. Oh man, Oh man, the sound's still stuck in my head. Good. cheers!
 ps. they have a black french case which feels different from the original italian one. nice looking!
       oh and the AK240SS itself is pretty good looking but looks wise my personal preference is Blue Note>original gun metal>gold>SS Others opinion would differ :p

Pretty dang heavy is about right - 50% increase!!
The original is quite heave as it is...

https://www.post76.com/x2/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=207170

Layla sounds pretty exciting by your review :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back