Comparison of HeadRoom Amp + DAC combos
Oct 19, 2005 at 3:25 AM Post #61 of 99
I SEE! said the blind man.....

So glad to hear this is sounding good, I'm planning on doing the same thing. They don't have individual pages per item, but I just ordered the Stereo 3.5mm Digital Audio Cable, comptible with iPod™ ZIP-AUDIO-IP1 / UPC# 724580612544 from:

http://www.ziplinq.com/retractable-cable-apple.html

Ordered a USB mini cable and a network cable from them as well. Neat little gadgets, let's see if they perform....

I love gadgets
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 19, 2005 at 4:04 AM Post #64 of 99
Tyll.....

You know what else you guys should make for the Micro Line? The Micro Flask! While you're at it, a Micro Humidor too. You couldn't fit huge cigars in it, but it'd do the trick for smaller ones. So you can bring your Amp, DAC, soon-to-be power supply, Scotch, and stogies on the road. Think of how sharp those 5 babies would look stacked on top of each other. Of course, the carry bag for the Micro line has to go back to the drawing board now. Promise me if you make them I get 'em for free....
icon10.gif

Oct 19, 2005 at 1:36 PM Post #65 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by nspindel
The Micro Flask! While you're at it, a Micro Humidor too. You couldn't fit huge cigars in it, but it'd do the trick for smaller ones. So you can bring your Amp, DAC, soon-to-be power supply, Scotch, and stogies on the road. Think of how sharp those 5 babies would look stacked on top of each other. Of course, the carry bag for the Micro line has to go back to the drawing board now. Promise me if you make them I get 'em for free....
icon10.gif

Now you're thinking. Just took up Scotch and cigars not long ago. Fuente makes some short stogies and that new Dalmore Cigar Malt is nice. Now if we can only make that enclosure water and air tight . . .

Geez! What am I thinking! We're both nuts!

Oct 19, 2005 at 3:50 PM Post #66 of 99
Interesting direction this thread has taken...

But for anyone interested in the Micro line, you definitely can't go wrong with the Micro w/Desktop, and it's especially nice with the MicroDAC. Very versatile combo, gotta be one of the best bangs for the buck
600smile.gif

Oct 19, 2005 at 3:57 PM Post #67 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens
Nice thinking! If we ever build one you get one free, markkr. If you see it, remind me.

WHOOOO HOOOOO.

I was already a Headroom customer for life, I have loved every Headroom product I have used. Thanks Tyll.
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Oct 19, 2005 at 10:01 PM Post #68 of 99
Think about it, that housing is the perfect size for a flask! What you could do is create a steel insert, which would be the actual flask. The neck of the flask insert would protrude through the hole for the power supply. The housing is just eye-candy for the actual flask, so nothing to waterproof. You've gotta admit, the idea's got legs! It actually is a little small for a humidor, but there's always a Desktop Humidor!!!!

Like I said, just promise me one for free....

Oct 19, 2005 at 11:37 PM Post #69 of 99
Quote:

Like I said, just promise me one for free....

As long as you don't gripe about it not having some kind of fill level meter that I've got to run power to you've got a deal.

Oct 19, 2005 at 11:41 PM Post #70 of 99
Quote:

LOL!!! Maybe a small nuclear reactor in the basement.....

Actually, a nuclear reactor wouldn't be very good. It is about impedance and in particular frequency response of impedance, not about total power. Car batteries are great: The fact that you can easily get 600A from them shows that the internal impedance is on the order of dozens of milli-ohms, pretty much independent of frequency. Traditional alkalines are pretty good too (D-cells can easily make several amperes, which is quite a feat at 1.5V), except that their frequency rolloff isn't as good as a car battery (because they are made from thin, rolled-up layers); I don't know whether this makes a difference at audio frequencies, or whether it affects radio frequencies. I don't know how NiCd and Li batteries fare.

For this reason, car batteries are often used if you need extremely clean and quiet power for data acquisition and instruments. Only problem is their voltage stability (they tend to droop by a fraction of a volt, as they discharge themselves over a few weeks); for audio this doesn't matter much.

From a point of view of voltage stability, frequency-behavior of impedance, and noise output, regulated DC power supplies actually fare extremely badly. The electronics in them has to do real serious work to make stable, quiet and constant voltage, independent of large load fluctuations (which fluctuations are known as "music" to headphone enthusiasts). On the other hand, they have many practical advantages: no need to go to the drugstore all the time to get new alkalines, much lighter than car batteries, don't spill sulphuric acid on your clothes if you spill them.

Oct 20, 2005 at 12:09 AM Post #71 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens
Now you're thinking. Just took up Scotch and cigars not long ago. Fuente makes some short stogies and that new Dalmore Cigar Malt is nice. Now if we can only make that enclosure water and air tight . . .

Geez! What am I thinking! We're both nuts!

Try Partagas, man they are expensive (+/-$15 per) but they have IMO the best flavor. I quit them 23.5 years ago and I still miss them.

Oct 21, 2005 at 4:28 AM Post #74 of 99
Attn. Tyll
=======

Ok, here's a slight problem with the Micro Stack, although not really HeadRoom's fault.

I just got 8 MaHa Powerplex 9volt rechargeables. HeadRoom, you sell these exact batteries on your site. It seems that these rechargeable 9volt batteries are slightly longer (guessing about 1/8" or so) than a normal alkaline 9-volt. A little online research, and I learned that for whatever brilliant reason, almost all 9v rechargeables are slightly bigger than alkalines.... Because the batteries are longer, the back of the housing doesn't quite fit back on properly, and when you screw it down tightly with the thumbscrews it causes the back to arch.

You can sort of correct this by flipping the rubber gasket around, this seems to compensate for the longer battery a bit. The problem is that gasket has grooves to meet with the edge of the housing, but those grooves are only on one side. So when you flip it around, since there are no grooves, it slips on and off very easily.

HeadRoom, you should be able to easily duplicate the issue, since you sell the same batteries. Perhaps you could manufacture a replacement rubber gasket for the Micro housing, for use especially when using rechargeables. If you just thicken it a little bit, it would do the trick.

Oct 21, 2005 at 4:35 AM Post #75 of 99
Naughty nspindel, you didn't read your manual...
tongue.gif

Headroom did think of this! You see the two little rubber flaps that hang down? Well, instead of trying to reverse the urethane bezel, you simply tuck in the flaps so that they lie along the top inside of the case, above the batteries, insteady of sitting behind them and against the removable panel, thereby mitigating the extra length of the batteries...

Give it a try, and please stop bending your amp!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back