Comparison of HeadRoom Amp + DAC combos
Oct 9, 2005 at 6:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 99

rpaul

100+ Head-Fier
Would there be a noticeable sonic difference between the following:
a) Micro Stack
b) Desktop (standard desktop module) + desktop DAC
c) Desktop (standard desktop module) + Home DAC

I'm currently using Micro w/Desktop + iPod lineout + DT990 Pro. I'm thinking of eliminating the iPod and going with DAC instead. SQ over portability please
600smile.gif

Doesn't matter to me if components are not integrated into 1 device (although I'm guessing that getting rid of the interconnect factor between DAC and amp is a tangible advantage).

I don't want to entertain Desktop w/Home module, because, based on what I've read in this forum and on HeadRoom's webiste, the Desktop Power Supply is recommended to truly take advantage of that upgrade. I'm not sure if I want to spend that much right now, and there are many other compelling options at that price range...could do Micro DAC + [ HA-2 MKII || HR-2 || Black Cube Linear ].

Oct 9, 2005 at 2:03 PM Post #2 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by rpaul
Would there be a noticeable sonic difference between the following:
a) Micro Stack
b) Desktop (standard desktop module) + desktop DAC
c) Desktop (standard desktop module) + Home DAC

I'm currently using Micro w/Desktop + iPod lineout + DT990 Pro. I'm thinking of eliminating the iPod and going with DAC instead. SQ over portability please
600smile.gif

Doesn't matter to me if components are not integrated into 1 device (although I'm guessing that getting rid of the interconnect factor between DAC and amp is a tangible advantage).

I don't want to entertain Desktop w/Home module, because, based on what I've read in this forum and on HeadRoom's webiste, the Desktop Power Supply is recommended to truly take advantage of that upgrade. I'm not sure if I want to spend that much right now, and there are many other compelling options at that price range...could do Micro DAC + [ HA-2 MKII || HR-2 || Black Cube Linear ].

It all boils down to money. If you have it get the desktop with the home amp and the hom dac. However you will have to add the large P/S.

Oct 9, 2005 at 3:16 PM Post #3 of 99
The Micro (desktop) stack will have 99% of the sound of the Desktop with Desktop Module and DAC. The desktop has slightly better PS regulation and components, but otherwise will basically sound the same as the micro combination. The sweet spot in the desktop line IMO is the Maxed out version, but that's just because it sounds so damn good...

Anyway, sounds like you're a prime candidate for the micro DAC.

Oct 9, 2005 at 7:10 PM Post #4 of 99
But would using the standard Desktop module in conjunction with the Home DAC be a noticeable improvement over the Micro Stack?

I still have time to exchange the Micro for the Desktop...

Of course the best upgrade path might be to use the Micro Stack for now and then upgrade the amp portion to whatever (HeadRoom or other) whenever.

Oct 9, 2005 at 8:31 PM Post #5 of 99
With a Desktop Power Supply, the difference will be most noticeable. Otherwise, it is a small difference. And remember that the DPS can just as well be used to greatly improve the sound of the micro stack too...

I'd still say the micro DAC is your best option. The Home DAC improves upon the the Desktop DAC/Micro DAC by putting OPA627's in the audio chain, but unless you are feeding that into more OPA627's in a Max Module, I'd say you aren't getting the best out of it. The Micro DAC is still the best $299 DAC you're gonna hear.

Oct 9, 2005 at 11:42 PM Post #6 of 99
Thanks TheSloth, that pretty much settles it for me. I'll stick with the Micro amp for now and try out the Micro DAC...if I like what I hear, out goes the iPod.

Oct 10, 2005 at 11:51 PM Post #7 of 99
FWIW, rpaul -- that's exactly what I just did. Recently bought the Micro with desktop module to use as my portable setup with my iPod, loved the sound and decided to "go for it' by re-ripping all of my music and adding the micro DAC to my setup.

Just got the DAC the other day, the combo sounds wonderful.

Enjoy,

JT

Oct 11, 2005 at 12:01 AM Post #8 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by jc_tardiff
FWIW, rpaul -- that's exactly what I just did. Recently bought the Micro with desktop module to use as my portable setup with my iPod, loved the sound and decided to "go for it' by re-ripping all of my music and adding the micro DAC to my setup.

Just got the DAC the other day, the combo sounds wonderful.

Enjoy,

JT

jc_tardiff, was the sound much better through the DAC as compared to from the iPod? Did you re-rip to lossless? What headphones are you using?

Oct 11, 2005 at 4:07 PM Post #10 of 99
Quote:

jc_tardiff, was the sound much better through the DAC as compared to from the iPod? Did you re-rip to lossless? What headphones are you using?

Hey rpaul,

I was on the road this weekend (but I did bring along the Micro Stack
biggrin.gif
), so I haven't had a chance to empirically test for differences. Listening to the 192kbs mp3s off my laptop via my new setup immediately exposed the limitations of those rips. No surprise.

My current plan is to re-rip to lossless (prob Apple lossless) to archive all of my music...my Micro Amp + DAC will spend most of it's time hooked up to the optical output of my G5 and will use the lossless files for playback. I will then test several levels of AAC encoding to re-populate my iPod.

Headphones are a pair of Sennheiser 580s at home (sometimes my husband's Grado 80's) and Etymotic ER6s while traveling (will probably replace with ER4p/s soon).

I think I made an excellent choice and ended up with some very versatile hardware (thanks to the guys here). And hey, my wallet is lighter, but not on life-support!

best,

JT

Oct 11, 2005 at 5:27 PM Post #11 of 99
Re-ripping to Apple Lossless will give you a significant soinic upgrade. You should consider loading your iPod with lossless files too. It holds less, but sounds much better.

Oct 12, 2005 at 2:43 AM Post #12 of 99
Quote:

Re-ripping to Apple Lossless will give you a significant soinic upgrade. You should consider loading your iPod with lossless files too. It holds less, but sounds much better.

Yeah, that definitely crossed my mind but will require a bigger iPod (80 GB versions are rumored to be out soon) ....YIKES, more $$
eek.gif

JT

Oct 12, 2005 at 3:03 AM Post #13 of 99
There's gonna be no going back - to the iPod, or to lossy files...
biggrin.gif

That Micro DAC is going to give you a taste of what a real source can do for your system. Headroom have done an amazing job with their DAC's. It really puts so many other makers to shame that this relatively small bunch of people can, with some thought and expertise, put together this kind of sound and feature set at an unheard of price point (remember they've never built a DAC before...). As far as I'm concerned, the $399 extra Max DAC competes with multi-thousand dollar CD players.

Anyway, you're gonna love it! I'm getting some Headroom lovin' as I write this, and it still puts a smile on my face.

Oct 12, 2005 at 11:09 PM Post #14 of 99
Hello. I'm relatively new to the hi-end headphone world, and quite honestly amazed to see the products out there in the amp space. I never even knew a dedicated headphone amp existed until a few weeks ago! But after coming to the conclusion after several configuration changes that I just couldn't get myself to a happy state with my 2-channel audio setup in the small room that my wife will let me use for it (
rolleyes.gif
), I sold the Polks, sold the Harman Kardon, and set sail for can-land.

I got a pair of brand new Senn 650's on eBay for $300, I was pretty psyched for that number after shopping around a bit. My Cardas cable should be here any day.

I started off thinking I'd go with a Total Bithead for my iPod and/or laptop, but quickly decided I wanted to go with better SQ and was willing to sacrifice portability. So I ordered the Micro Amp (Desktop module)/Micro DAC, which should arrive tomorrow. I have a large FLAC collection that I will pump through the USB hookup.

I'm thinking that unless the Micro stack completely blows me away, I might just upgrade next year to the Desktop line and max it out with the upgrades, but I'm not prepared to drop that much coin..... yet.....

What I'm wondering is - how much of a difference would the Desktop Power Supply make to the Micro Stack, as someone mentioned earlier. If I do decide to upgrade, I will need it anyway, so I guess the only issue is how much of an improvement it will make for the Micro Stack. I guess the question is a little silly, because I can always try it and return it if I don't feel it's worth it. But I'd rather know up front if people think it would really be worth it, so I don't end up wasting the good folks' time at HeadRoom.

The Micro Stack package is $600, the Desktop Power Supply is another $400. Will the difference really be worth adding another 66% onto the cost???

Thanks in advance!

Neil

Oct 12, 2005 at 11:28 PM Post #15 of 99
It's very difficult to say whether an upgrade is 'worth' something or not. It depends what it means to you. The power supply will offer a small difference in sound, generally giving more detailed and controlled bass, and a more accurate soundstage. You will hear less harshness in the treble too.

But these differences are much smaller than for example the difference between one amp and a completely different one, and if you aren't convinced by the sound of the amp you have, the DPS isn't likely to change that. If you really like the sound of your Micro Stack and want to get the very best out of it, then yes, the DPS is the only way to improve it, and you will know that it couldn't possibly sound any better. I would however advise against getting it if you plan on changing to a completely difference system in 1 year. You may want to get a Home by that point, or an amp from a completely different manufacturer. I use a Maxed out Desktop with DPS and am amazed by it in every way, and have absolutely no intention of changing to another amp in the foreseeable future. If I didn't intend to keep it for the long haul, I would have kept on using the BS1 power supply which is almost as good (but not quite) as the DPS.

I recommend you send an e-mail to headroom and ask. They will probably steer you away from the DPS. They are very honest in that respect, and admit that there are more important upgrades to spend one's money on at your stage than power supplies. They will also describe better than I can what the potential benefits are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back