Comparison of HeadRoom Amp + DAC combos
Oct 18, 2005 at 10:06 PM Post #46 of 99
It is a split supply running +9volts and -9volts.

Upgaditis! Yeah, what a bitch! SAYW!

I agree the 627 is a killer op amp and it's hard not to want it when you know what it does. Saddly, I can't really say the things I'd like to here as it would be promotional, so I'll let you guys worry it out. I will say that it is very pleasing to see all the comments that are pretty right on, though.

Have fun!

Oct 18, 2005 at 10:22 PM Post #47 of 99
So do you mean to tell me that the MicroStack will sound better off of batteries than off either the bricks or desktop power supply?

Great, now I feel even better about the $125 I just spent on 8 9v rechargeables and a charger!!!

I love the Micro Stack....
580smile.gif

Oct 18, 2005 at 11:33 PM Post #48 of 99
I put an order in for the Desktop amp w/Home module/Home DAC and Desktop Power Supply. I'm already stretching my budget pretty thin, and although I'm sure the MAXed out Desktop/DAC is awesome, this is as high as I can go.

1) Micro Stack = $600
2) Desktop/DAC Home = $1500 (10% disc. = $1350)
3) Desktop/DAC Max = $2100 ($1900)

As long as there is noticeable improvement (to my ears) going from the Micro Stack to the Desktop Home combo, I will be happy.

Oct 19, 2005 at 1:14 AM Post #50 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by nspindel
So do you mean to tell me that the MicroStack will sound better off of batteries than off either the bricks or desktop power supply?

Better than the brick. The Desktop Power supply is a pretty good PS. The output impeance of a fresh battery is pretty low though. I'd have to ask Joe about that because I would bet the Desktop PS is faster than a battery, but a good battery is a pretty damn good PS.

I tell you what would sound killer: hook up a couple of car batteries. Ugly looking, but damn good sounding.

Cheers!

Oct 19, 2005 at 2:01 AM Post #54 of 99
A quick look at the duracell website looks like both alkalines and nickel metal hydride are both well below an ohm output impedance for most of their dischage life. The extra .6 volts will get you a bit of extrea headroom. I would guess you wouldn't be able to hear much difference.

Oct 19, 2005 at 2:21 AM Post #55 of 99
http://photo.head-fi.org/showphoto.p...=5925&size=big

Well, the Desktop PS wins out by the tiniest fraction of a percent. There is the slightest bit of extra space in the sound compared with batteries. Both batteries and the DPS are noticeably and obviously better than the 'brick'. I suspect the DPS's advantage comes from the extra voltage (15 vs 9), though it's a small difference - the DPS and batteries are much closer to one another than either are to the 'brick'.

Hope that helps...

Edit: The iPod line out to the Micro with Desktop module is simply killer sounding for the price. The iPod is also better sounding IMO when run off batteries, when fed to the Micro also running off batteries, the sound is just lovely!

Oct 19, 2005 at 2:39 AM Post #57 of 99
How about a Micro Power Supply?

Sure would make that Micro stack look puurrrty!!
icon10.gif

Oct 19, 2005 at 3:08 AM Post #59 of 99
Quote:

Originally Posted by markkr
How about a Micro Power Supply?

Sure would make that Micro stack look puurrrty!!
icon10.gif

You know, I don't think we ever thought of that. I know the first problem is getting a transformer in there. I'm just yabbering of the top of my head here but we have been working on getting a much higher current capacity brick for the Home and Max moduled Desktop. If we were to get a high current brick and then used the Micro as a sweet regulator for the big brick that might work pretty good. I'll have to run that one up the flag pole and see if anyone salutes. But that one seems possible! Nice thinking! If we ever build one you get one free, markkr. If you see it, remind me.

Oct 19, 2005 at 3:16 AM Post #60 of 99
nspindel, it's just a trick of the light. The cable that looks like it's going from the micro to the desktop is in fact just the adaptor cable for the Senn 650's trailing down towards the desktop - it does look a bit like it actually goes into the desktop, but it just continues on down...

cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back