Colorfly C3 Discussion Thread
Mar 13, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #886 of 3,325
Does this player play loud? or does it need a amp?

Depends on the headphone / IEM. What headphones do you intend to use it with? C3 doesn't have the most powerful amp though can drive most low impedance IEM and headphone fairly well. Anything over 60 Ohm I think maybe pushing it, yet I have not tried. I know it runs Sony MDR V6 well enough (63 Ohm) And (50 Ohm) GR07 MK2.

Mar 13, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #887 of 3,325
Anything over 30 on the C3 volume control hurt my ears with UE Triple Fi's.  C3 will go to 40.  So, loud enough for me.  With a C&C amp, it will go really loud.  Ouch.

Mar 13, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #888 of 3,325
Anything over 30 on the C3 volume control hurt my ears with UE Triple Fi's.  C3 will go to 40.  So, loud enough for me.  With a C&C amp, it will go really loud.  Ouch.

I remember the treble with TF10 and C3 used to get a real boogie on over 30 - 35 would be good for treble heads. I have a new pair of TF10 (my second actually) arrive today. Sits very nicely with C&C BH, the LF switch makes them sing pretty well. Be upgrading the cable shortly to silver plated, milk everything I can from them

Mar 13, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #889 of 3,325
for what is worth i find C3 doing best with amping. C3 might sound fine on its own but amping adds not only power but some sonic improvements well worth considering.

i hope no one will accuse me of peddling BH here but i find this little cheapo amp to be a great partner with C3. alternatively you may opt for any decent amp which you like to use with C3.

Mar 13, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #890 of 3,325
I find C3 between using the amp you can have two different flavors. For example if I was laying down wanting an audiophile approach unmapped is fine, C3 has that essence or lacing over it's signature I find very soothing at lower volumes. Adding the amp changes from soothing into like C3 nightclub mode, time to get up and dance style. Like turning on the after burner or hitting a nitro switch :p

Mar 13, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #891 of 3,325
I use my C3 for walking music (exercise) and I find the amp helps drown out/cover over my footfalls as I walk.  The fuller sound is great.  I agree, sitting around I don't really need the amp, but then I don't listen to music sitting around anymore- in my car or walking is pretty much it, with a wife and kid.  

With my TF 10's I really like the mids and highs, and the bass un-amped is just fine.  With the amp, I have GC and SF on (not LF, a bit of overkill for me) and it sounds really full.  

Now, I'm old (I remember the 60's in San Francisco because I lived them fully at the time- not just observed them :)  ) so my ears may be a bit worn-out from long nights at The Filmore and Winterland and the Avalon Ballroom.  I can still remember seeing Cream on their first night in SF and coming out being unable to hear even my VW Bus engine starting up (no insulation, very loud engine noise).  I'm sure I paid a price for that experience.  You youngsters probably have much better hearing than I do (I still hear ok, just not like I used to).  So we may be talking apples and oranges here.   

Mar 13, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #892 of 3,325
Oh noes... Look what just arrived here...

I have a few developer boards for sale to see if I can raise some funds for that damn C&C...
biggrin.gif

Mar 14, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #895 of 3,325
Indeed it is, the cable is very solid.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Mar 14, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #897 of 3,325
I have the same cable (mine, too, arrived before my C&C did).  It fits nicely, isn't all that big.  I like that it won't crimp or bend (I carry my device in my pocket or in a bag, so that's the area of weakness I worry about in cables).  I never used the stock cable, can't say if this one sound better.  It did seem to "break in," though, after a few hours of use, and any possible harshness is no longer/not present.

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #898 of 3,325
I've yet to get time to give it a listen, it sure is one stiff heavy cable. The connector shells must be glued as I was going to remove the plastic jacket from the wires to make it more flexible. Bare wires inside the techflex would be much better. But I can see myself destroying the nice jacks trying to get them apart so I'm not going to.

Mar 15, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #899 of 3,325
I've yet to get time to give it a listen, it sure is one stiff heavy cable. The connector shells must be glued as I was going to remove the plastic jacket from the wires to make it more flexible. Bare wires inside the techflex would be much better. But I can see myself destroying the nice jacks trying to get them apart so I'm not going to.

Grab the cable bending it back and forth a little bit, it should loosen up, like it breaks in then bends easier.

It something to do with the wire, it almost feels like solid core, it's not the jacket / sheath making it stiff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back