Cayin N5 DAP - Product Info (Post #2), Resources (Post #3) and Discussion
Nov 18, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #1,022 of 2,546
Man, iBasso released DX80 with only one of two mSD slots working. Seriously uncool.

Have you experienced a defective unit?

Nope. It was a known issue with DX80 on release. iBasso said they'd fix it in a FW update, but still. If I were running a company, I wouldn't release a product with such glaring FW bugs. Doesn't inspire confidence. Luckily, Cayin had no such issues!

Nov 18, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #1,023 of 2,546

Man, iBasso released DX80 with only one of two mSD slots working. Seriously uncool.

Have you experienced a defective unit?

Nope. It was a known issue with DX80 on release. iBasso said they'd fix it in a FW update, but still. If I were running a company, I wouldn't release a product with such glaring FW bugs. Doesn't inspire confidence. Luckily, Cayin had no such issues!

They should have called it 0.x beta firmware because the issue was only in the initial firmware release when they sent out units to reviewers.  Last week when DX80 became officially available on iBasso website for sale, they released new updated firmware with all the fixes, everything works like a charm now!

N5 and DX80 are two different beasts in terms of features and controls, but in $350 Fight Club, I consider N5 = DX80 > X5ii > PAW 5000.

Btw, LOVE the new upcoming N5 leather case!!!

Nov 18, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #1,024 of 2,546
Thanks for clearing that up, Alex. When reading over the DX80 thread, it seemed like there were early buyers who were bitten by the mSD slot bug. Maybe I misinterpreted.

Agree regarding N6 being top in its class. iBasso hasn't provided me with a DX80 for review, but given my experience owning a DX90 I think I'd prefer N5 which I enjoyed more than my DX90.

Nov 18, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #1,025 of 2,546
Thanks for clearing that up, Alex. When reading over the DX80 thread, it seemed like there were early buyers who were bitten by the mSD slot bug. Maybe I misinterpreted.

Agree regarding N6 being top in its class. iBasso hasn't provided me with a DX80 for review, but given my experience owning a DX90 I think I'd prefer N5 which I enjoyed more than my DX90.

Everybody rushes with releases :frowning2:  I guess it's right before the holidays?  But as long as hardware issues are ironed out, fw can be upgraded down the road, though it will affect first impressions and initial reviews.  Also, the reason why so many Chinese companies choose to release their products in Mainland first.  It makes it easier to do "emergency" recall to fix the problem (like it happened with N5 scrolling wheel).

But overall, there are too many choices right now to decide which DAP is better.  Sound quality difference is no longer night and day.  So it really comes down to figuring out your budget and comparing the features, ergonomics, GUI :wink:

Nov 18, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #1,027 of 2,546

They should have called it 0.x beta firmware because the issue was only in the initial firmware release when they sent out units to reviewers.  Last week when DX80 became officially available on iBasso website for sale, they released new updated firmware with all the fixes, everything works like a charm now!

N5 and DX80 are two different beasts in terms of features and controls, but in $350 Fight Club, I consider N5 = DX80 > X5ii > PAW 5000.

Btw, LOVE the new upcoming N5 leather case!!!

Uh huh, what he said and I too love that case but I still hate the annoying rubber port cover! If I end up getting one it will be immediately removed
redface.gif

Remind's me of this Dignis on my (oh right, don't mention the other guys here)
wink.gif

Since I'm not or have not been a regular tour reviewer I've been wondering after the units have their final firmware load and go on the market is there or have any of you noticed any sound signature difference from your review models?

Nov 18, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #1,029 of 2,546

The Klipsch Image X7! Oh, it does my heart good to see someone else enjoying them. I use them almost everyday for podcasts or audiobooks. They're great for music, too, but I have better. I still love these things to pieces.

:beerchug:

Nov 18, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #1,030 of 2,546
Quote:
Cayin N6 owners commented on numerous audible differences between FW releases. N5 might be too new to determine that, though.

I was just curious after Alex mentioned the rush to release. Sometimes it makes me wonder if reviews should be done after full production hits the market of course pre-review is excellent and determining fixes as well. It's like Paul's observations on the Kickstarter valve amp (now with modular DAC) by Martin, I'm still patiently waiting on mine but do wonder if the first one he listened to will sound the same as the final product given all the upgrades and configuration changes
blink.gif
Obviously when you get to be my age you can clearly tell the mind wonders
rolleyes.gif
LOL 

They also have a no resistance thang going on when it come to insertion Pinky, here's another gratuitous shot of my Tiny Toonz rig
biggrin.gif

Nov 19, 2015 at 12:11 AM Post #1,031 of 2,546
Lunch break :etysmile:

Finally can show off my N5, this is the pre-production leather jacket, have been hiding this from public, now I am free. :D :D

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Nov 19, 2015 at 12:44 AM Post #1,033 of 2,546
Lunch break
etysmile.gif

Finally can show off my N5, this is the pre-production leather jacket, have been hiding this from public, now I am free.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Is this a real CKR9LTD or Aliexpress version?
biggrin.gif
  I still enjoy my CKR10 a lot!!! 
wink.gif

Btw, is this Dignis case, I assume?

Nov 19, 2015 at 1:43 AM Post #1,035 of 2,546
Is this a real CKR9LTD or Aliexpress version? :D   I still enjoy my CKR10 a lot!!! :wink:

Btw, is this Dignis case, I assume?

I have auditioned the CKR9, CKR10 and CKR9LTD and settled on the 9LTD, the 10 has more bass to start with, but 9LTD is cleaner. :D

Actually my initial plan was to find out how dual dynamic drivers in isobaric layout behaved. My main IEM was Flat4 Nami and that is a different dual dynamic isobaric design. So I went into the shop out of curiosity, and ended up with an empty wallet :veryevil:

On the other hand, while N6 can match with the Flat4 Nami very well, N5 does not have the juice for that and the CRK9LTD mated with the rich and slightly bassy tone of N5 very well IMHO, so its not that bad afterall. :cool:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back