Cayin N5 DAP - Product Info (Post #2), Resources (Post #3) and Discussion
Nov 19, 2015 at 1:59 AM Post #1,036 of 2,546
Nice, get the cks1100 when you can, it's literally the best thing in AT's arsenal.

Haven't had the opportunity to try out this new gem from ATH yet. THis is another 'Dual Phase Push-Pull Drivers' from ATH, it is similar to my CRL9LTD to certain extend. I expect the CKS1100 will put my 9LTD in dust, definitely something worth looking forwards to down the road.

ATH iems is not difficult to drive, but require very good control in the high frequency range, this happens to be one of strong suit of Cayin N5 and N6, so I kind of keeping a pair of close eyes to ATH lineup after I switched to Cayin.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Nov 19, 2015 at 8:01 AM Post #1,037 of 2,546
I won't buy another IEM that doesn't have the over-ear cable. Too much microphonics.

Also, I'm still wonderfully happy with the ATH-IM03 for my mid-fi needs. :)

Nov 19, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #1,038 of 2,546
Lunch break
etysmile.gif

Finally can show off my N5, this is the pre-production leather jacket, have been hiding this from public, now I am free.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Nice shot Andy, what you listening to there? That looks like of of the girls in Robert Palmer's posse
beerchug.gif

Nov 19, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #1,039 of 2,546
Nice shot Andy, what you listening to there? That looks like of of the girls in Robert Palmer's posse:beerchug:

The Andrew Lloyd Webber Collection
Sarah Brightman

One of my favorite female vocal, especially when I am using ATH iem. :D

Nov 20, 2015 at 12:53 AM Post #1,040 of 2,546
I won't buy another IEM that doesn't have the over-ear cable. Too much microphonics.

Also, I'm still wonderfully happy with the ATH-IM03 for my mid-fi needs. :)

I'll add a small clip to fix the headphone cable to my shirt, this should reduce the microphonics effect significantly.

Nov 20, 2015 at 6:54 AM Post #1,041 of 2,546
I'll add a small clip to fix the headphone cable to my shirt, this should reduce the microphonics effect significantly.

That can be constraining. I have to use one whenever I'm listening to the Klipsch X7i.

Nov 20, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #1,042 of 2,546
From E4 EASECASE on Ebay:

Nov 20, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #1,043 of 2,546
That can be constraining. I have to use one whenever I'm listening to the Klipsch X7i.

I really like this clip design where it clips into the "Y" splitter
biggrin.gif

Nov 21, 2015 at 5:56 AM Post #1,045 of 2,546
Hey Andykong, can you use a micro USB to charge the N5? Some people suggested this in the comments of my review. If so, I want to clean up my review. Thanks for your help!

Yes, I have used microUSB 2.0 to charge N5, I can post some photo and explanation for reference later on this issue.

Nov 21, 2015 at 7:31 AM Post #1,047 of 2,546
A little off topic, but still Cayin related, I am currently listening to a Cayin desktop headphone amp the HA-2i fed by a Schiit Modi dac and the sound from this inexpensive desk set-up is amazing! I can't think of any other setup that would give this type of "bang for the buck" for a desk setup. Both units are VERY reasonably priced and have to be heard to be believed. Cayin has a great range of tube desktop amps and I just recently sold my favourite tube amp, a Cayin unit. So, from daps to portable headphone amps to desk top amps, Cayin know what they are doing and I am a definite fan. Check out the rest of their range if you are in the market for a desktop amp, wether solid state or tube.

Nov 21, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #1,048 of 2,546
Hey guys,

First time poster and great thread to post in.

I have just received mine and it is great, super build quality great user interface and a really good. I also own the FIIO X5 2nd gen and the jog wheel on the N5 is much better it searches for music far quicker and they, to me anyway, have a very similar sound signature.

However, I noticed someone else posted about this and I haven't see a response is the 5800 song limit, does anyone know if they will change this. 

Nov 21, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #1,049 of 2,546
Yes, I have used microUSB 2.0 to charge N5, I can post some photo and explanation for reference later on this issue.

Andykong: Thanks for confirming, Andy. Pics would be great. I'm sure I'm not the only one who didn't know this was possible. I'll edit my review to reflect this and link to your pic.

swannie007: Fancy meeting you here :wink_face:
Which Cayin tube amp were you using?

thefunkygibbon: Good question. Hopefully the 5800 track limit will be easily overcome as it has been in the FiiO DAPs. Until then, Folder Browsing is your best friend, right :wink:
Even if the 5800 track limit were abolished, I can't see scrolling through my 2x 128Gb cards worth of music. I always end up using Folder Browsing + good folder organization to make my DAP experience better.

BTW, guys. If you've seen my reviews, you know I've tested several DAPs recently. I wanted to just come out and say it - I love the Cayin N5! If anyone is looking for a DAP in this price range, it's at the top of my list right now along with the Shanling M2.

Can't wait to see what Cayin throws at us next :L3000:

Nov 21, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #1,050 of 2,546
@Andykong: Thanks for confirming, Andy. Pics would be great. I'm sure I'm not the only one who didn't know this was possible. I'll edit my review to reflect this and link to your pic.

@swannie007: Fancy meeting you here
wink_face.gif

Which Cayin tube amp were you using?

@thefunkygibbon: Good question. Hopefully the 5800 track limit will be easily overcome as it has been in the FiiO DAPs. Until then, Folder Browsing is your best friend, right
wink.gif

Even if the 5800 track limit were abolished, I can't see scrolling through my 2x 128Gb cards worth of music. I always end up using Folder Browsing + good folder organization to make my DAP experience better.

BTW, guys. If you've seen my reviews, you know I've tested several DAPs recently. I wanted to just come out and say it - I love the Cayin N5! If anyone is looking for a DAP in this price range, it's at the top of my list right now along with the Shanling M2.

Can't wait to see what Cayin throws at us next
L3000.gif

Hey there,

Thanks very much for the reply, and of course you are right, good folder organisation is a must.

I am now doing just that.

Cayin have said they are working on the library issue, which is good news, so hopefully in the next firmware update.

Once again thanks for the reply

Users who are viewing this thread

Back